Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20

Author Topic: Observations of the FTTC DLM ES threshold  (Read 103863 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: Observations of the FTTC DLM ES threshold
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2014, 12:13:17 AM »

As regards to why some people get interleaving switched back on the next day and others can take months, there is a reason for that too.. its what used to be called Blip Logic... but now its more complicated and Ive seen something to infer that it could take some lines anything up to over a year to get back :(   (Cant recall figure now but something like 15mths - dont have the documentation to hand to check- so don't quote me on that)

Cheers Kitz you have just ruined my day   ;D
There was me thinking if I cap my downstream to say 25000 kbps and wait for 14days i'll get a chance to experience fastpath and no way I'm gonna wait 15 months to see if the experiment worked or not   :(

Capping your connection will reduce your ES, so try it it may get you back on fastpath.

The longer DLM recovery is more so for lines that have been bouncing a lot, yours hasnt been bouncing but just stuck on interleaving for a long time.

You know Chry I may setup the cap this evening, just would like the full command line instructions be it using Telnet and if the HG612 is powered off does the command still survive ? can you use DSlstats custom commands for this ?

Never mind have capped my DS sync from 30000 kbps to 25000 kbps and a wee bit from the US so lets see what happens  :-\

As my DS has never been moved onto non-interleave how long should I wait ?
place your bids please the winner gets my old Dlink 2640B modem  :D

hopefully 14 days :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2014, 07:51:49 PM »

hopefully 14 days :)

:D the famous 14 days, I have been watching STARMAN on MDWS his/her errored second counts are reaching 4000+ a day and he/she line is still non-interleave, have seen the DLM hit Kitz with less errored seconds a few months ago.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2014, 09:16:11 PM »

Well spotted --- quite surprising!!!!

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2014, 09:38:47 PM »

Well spotted --- quite surprising!!!!

a classic example when the sync rate is much higher than the attainable, I guess the next time Starman re-syncs the modem or the modem is forced to re-sync by the DLM they could be in for a  :o but would say it will only take 5 days for the DLM to relax  :-\

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »

Good spot NS

Using the DLM calculator with yesterdays errors of 4739 and 24 hrs uptime his MTBE is 18.23

I changed the parameters last week to update with the new figures that BS provided which we know are definite for ADSL, just not sure about FTTC, and it comes out as Amber.. in which case the DLM should leave him alone.

On the old figures of 2880, then by now he should have been DLM'd, because thats 3 full days now where its exceeded 2880.  This is going to be an interesting one to watch.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2014, 10:15:36 PM »

From a DLM doc ...... backing up Kitz comments.

Mean Time Between Errors (MTBE) = Uptime / Errored Second Count. MTBE measures errored seconds only (Not HEC, CRC or FEC).

you mean my comments.

I am the one mentioning ES.  I got no idea why kitz confused things mentioning CRC.

No that was in response to my comments on FECs.   Ive always said they will NOT include CRCs, and Im doubtful about FECs.  Ive stuck with Err Secs since the very beginning. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2014, 11:40:34 PM »

have seen the DLM hit Kitz with less errored seconds a few months ago.

Taking this onboard, Ive just gone back to my stats for a couple of those days.  You have to bear in mind that I also had down time whilst BT did what ever they were doing. Plus I also had some unforced downtime because I swapped routers over and waited before putting the other on (I think I went out during one of those periods)

Ive only calculated the first 2 days because its taken ages.  On day 2 my ErrSecs total wont quite be correct because it took me an extra time to reconfigure HG612 modem stats with each router config details, so there was some time when I was sync'd but HG612 stats wouldnt have been recording, so day2 total could be a bit higher.    Anyhow these are my figures

Day1 MTBE = 33.75
Day 2 MTBE = 27.58

--
Edit MTBE typo
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 02:48:19 PM by kitz »
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2014, 12:05:18 AM »

Okaaaaaaaay.    Ive just gone back and looked at the line data history for Starman.  A few days ago that line had some pretty heavy interleaving applied. (Depth 643) and INP=4.  The SNRm was at 23dB.

A line does not just go from real heavy DLM to no DLM in one fell swoop, look also how the upstream has done the same.  That line looks like it could have had a DLM reset.  Wonder if Starman can confirm please :) 

Edit - looks like he may recently have had a line fault.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2014, 04:02:27 AM »

ok so he hasnt had that ES for a long time then?

Still if he has managed 2 days, then that suggests newt is onto something as DLM will react within a day or two to a breach.

strontium90

« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2014, 01:03:40 PM »

Ok...I still don't understand..My stats are on MDWS and my ES, CRC's are ZERO...only FEC and bitswaps have values and my understanding is these are resultant of Interleaving anyway's..

Could someone please tell me why DLM hasn't done anything with my uptime being almost 42 days?

With ADSL my profile frequently got stuck but by that stage I had the CEO of BT's office phone no and I had this fixed and interleave permanently removed (Fastpath)

I've had my Upstream "stuck" on VDSL and had to have an engineer visit to rectify this...(it only lasted a week lol)..

Are some lines just permanently stuck on Interleave with no prospect of it ever been removed?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2014, 01:43:50 PM »

give it 14 days.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #131 on: November 25, 2014, 01:45:57 PM »

FEC and bitswaps are not resultant of Interleaving.

strontium90

« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2014, 01:53:32 PM »

Fair enough...what then are the criteria for keeping interleaving on if not ES?
Chrysalis..I've a feeling 14,000 days won't make a difference...look at my stats on mdws..

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2014, 01:55:54 PM »

sorry I misread the 42 days.

has your line been unstable in the past bouncing around?

IF not then you can try and somehow get a profile reset but currently that needs an engineer, and for that you need to have what's considered a fault.

strontium90

« Reply #134 on: November 25, 2014, 02:05:25 PM »

The last problem I had was a thunder storm in the summer and I wasn't at home so couldn't switch modem off...

I had an engineer visit about May when he replaced a joint on the pole about 300 yards away...He thought REIN unlikely...profile was reset but it only lasted a week till interleaving and banding on the US applied...couldn't face talking to india again

It's a long rural line and about half a mile above ground...but it is pretty stable as you can see from my stats...so will DLM ever kick in and do something positive?

Personally I find DLM far too aggressive and too slow to react to stability...42 days is a joke..
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20