Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Old BT Phone Systems  (Read 2585 times)

Maxie19699

• Just arrived
Old BT Phone Systems
« on: October 20, 2014, 10:00:45 PM »

Hi All,

Hope you can help, I just need to ask 'one' question. It's in relation to old BT phone systems back in the 1980's - if you had extensions running from the master socket would the extensions still ring IF the master phone was unplugged?

Cheers!!  :)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Old BT Phone Systems
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 10:03:37 PM »

Yes. Assuming it was all wired correctly and the main phone was on a plug setup.

Though I believe such a setup if all pluggable would mandate a separate bell anyway.
Remember this would all be wired by a GPO engineer.  ;)

« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:06:16 PM by HPsauce »

Maxie19699

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 10:12:55 PM »

Yes. Assuming it was all wired correctly and the main phone was on a plug setup.

Though I believe such a setup if all pluggable would mandate a separate bell anyway.
Remember this would all be wired by a GPO engineer.  ;)

Thanks for that  :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 11:25:51 PM »

Not intentionally contradicting HP, especially as he emphasised 'all wired correctly', but continuing the discussion...

Domestic GPO phones of 70s/80s and earlier vintage usually had an internal ring capacitor, rather than assume one was present elsewhere.   I am not sure therefor if extension phones, in the days of GPO monopolies, might have omitted a ring capacitor and depended on the ring capacitor in the main phone?

I also recall the most common problem with (illegal) DIY extensions in these days wasn't phones that failed to ring, it was phones that 'ding-a-linged' in time whenever another extension dialled a number.   The whole purpose of the ring wire was of course to prevent that, by clamping the ring capacitor to ground whenever the dial moved away from 'neutral '.  But many DIY extensions failed to include the ring wire, hence ding-a-ling when somebody else was dialling.   :)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 08:41:01 AM »

But many DIY extensions failed
Indeed, but they were "illegal" as a GPO engineer (as I said) was required to do the job and to get it right.

If you look inside such older phones there are a huge array of connectors, links and wires designed to be configured "correctly" to make it all work as it should.

Of course the wiring scheme, master socket, etc. all changed when DIY extension wiring became allowed.

anything