Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Line Length (Electrical) of an xDSL Circuit  (Read 1684 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Line Length (Electrical) of an xDSL Circuit
« on: October 19, 2014, 01:04:56 AM »

I was reading through one of the papers to which Konrado5 had posted a link when I came across the following --

For VDSL2 systems that transmit over normal polyethylene-insulated pairs, there is a good
approximation of the attenuation A (in dB) at a certain frequency f:

A = k * l * sqrt(f), where k is a wire-dependant constant and l is the length of the wire.

An xdslcmd info --Hlog command will provide the attenuation (in dB) for each tone (which can be easily converted to frequency) for any particular circuit. Let us assume that the electrical length of the circuit is known (by a TDR measurement). Rearranging the above equation such that all known parameters are on one side gives us --

k = A / (l * sqrt(f))

Could that be a way to obtain a value range for k, given a sufficiently large set of data? Would subsequent manipulation of the data allow us to plot a generic graph of (electrical) line length versus attenuation VDSL2 circuits? At present, I have a number of partial ideas in mind but none will completely come to a conclusion.  :-\

From where could such a large set of data be obtained? Tony's MyDSLWebStats, perhaps?

Can anyone "see" any potential in the above musing and possibly develop something from it?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.