Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Line fault after BT working on the cab  (Read 15065 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Line fault after BT working on the cab
« on: October 17, 2014, 07:34:16 AM »

hmmm..   yesterday I was on the way to a class so couldnt stop, but I noticed that there was a guy working on one of the ECI cabs on the dock road.
Weird thing is I dunno who was working on the cab because there was no BT van..  it was a white estate type car but with white panels (not glass) and I couldnt see any livery on it.  The cab was wide open and I got a quick glimpse of the dslam and line cards as I drove past. 

I notice this morning that at 4:18 I lost sync (PTM) and it was off for just under an hour, so it looks like someone was working on my cab during the wee small hours. 

I cant see anything too much different with my stats...  but my upstream SNRm is now a bit weird..  cant recall seeing it like that since my HR fault was fixed.

----
Edited by admin
Topic split from
here as now it needs its own thread.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 09:42:02 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ixel

• Kitizen
Line fault after BT working on the cab
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 10:18:30 AM »

hmmm..   yesterday I was on the way to a class so couldnt stop, but I noticed that there was a guy working on one of the ECI cabs on the dock road.
Weird thing is I dunno who was working on the cab because there was no BT van..  it was a white estate type car but with white panels (not glass) and I couldnt see any livery on it.  The cab was wide open and I got a quick glimpse of the dslam and line cards as I drove past. 

I notice this morning that at 4:18 I lost sync (PTM) and it was off for just under an hour, so it looks like someone was working on my cab during the wee small hours. 

I cant see anything too much different with my stats...  but my upstream SNRm is now a bit weird..  cant recall seeing it like that since my HR fault was fixed.

Sounds a bit like what Chrysalis described happening in his third post. They must be doing upgrades then, but to what end I guess nobody yet knows. It can only be assumed that it's related to supporting vectoring in the future.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Line fault after BT working on the cab
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 02:10:41 PM »

kitz mine wasnt down for an hour, was more like about 5 minutes.  The guys working on mine did have an openreach van.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 02:17:18 PM »

hmmmm..  I just had a thought - for the past month or so, Ive been seeing some carp speeds.   Because it co-incided with the problems with BNGs I at first thought it was a Plusnet issue. 

However, Plusnet assured me that there was no bandwidth capacity issue on their pipes.. This is the response I got

As far as we're aware there's no congestion issues on our network, we put additional bandwidth in for iOS8 above and beyond what was needed so the network has plenty of spare bandwidth right now. Checking through the monitoring there's no packet loss or any interfaces that are maxed out anywhere on the network.

Looking at the quality reports I can see some packet loss showing on your SVLAN back to the exchange, it's up to 5% last night, that could easily be the cause of a drop to 30Mbps (graph attached for yesterday).

Over the past few weeks things have deteriorated further and each evening I routinely see speeds of circa 20Mbps.   Ive not been monitoring it though as 1) I didnt see the point in getting stressed about something that BT would hopefully fix in their own time 2) I could still do most things I wanted to do as my upstream wasnt affected and there was sufficient bandwidth to stream, which is where the vast amount most of my download usage is.

However... if it is backhaul capacity..  I dont see any reason why they should need to switch off the DSLAM for an hour..   unless its to hook up newly blown fibre.   In general if new capacity is installed it should be more of a software configuration..  as the SVLAN is the equivalent of an old VP.

Chrys  havent you too been seeing some capacity issues at peak?  Has that been sorted now?

I guess I shall find out tonight if my speeds have increased so we can rule that out or not

---------
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 02:31:46 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 02:20:31 PM »

kitz mine wasnt down for an hour, was more like about 5 minutes.  The guys working on mine did have an openreach van.

Oh okies - no idea who was working on mine at 4.30am - I was in bed.
The guy working on the cab on the dock road (not mine) was there at about 9am  so could be unrelated.   Just thought the unmarked van was weird.. and its also not often that you see the actual FTTC cab open.

-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 02:21:09 PM »

for me plusnet performance seems to have been fixed.  I have not tested the last few nights as I have been busy but the nights before that was ok.

I have been deliberately not using the BGN's tho because (a) ipv6 and (b) they keep crashing.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 02:22:15 PM »

Oh okies - no idea who was working on mine at 4.30am - I was in bed.
The guy working on the cab on the dock road (not mine) was there at about 9am  so could be unrelated.   Just thought the unmarked van was weird.. and its also not often that you see the actual FTTC cab open.

doesnt mean it wasnt related tho, e.g. they could have been reapplying ties one at a time, and I just got lucky mine was one of the first ones, or maybe they had complications on yours, however I would expect them to do maintenance at night not in the day time.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 03:56:39 PM »

Van or small hatchback car? If the latter it could well have been someone from Telent, as I seem to recall that only their larger vehicles are actually marked.

Adjustments (physical or configurational) to the FTTC cabinet MSAN will only be carried out by either Beattie Operate or Telent technicians.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 04:07:31 PM »

............... or ECI in-house engineers.  :)

Only last year I chaperoned one of these guys on my patch to change out the MK3 VTUC cards that had been installed, as they weren't compatible with the DSLAM software and causing multiple outage issues. The card-switch process (Back to VTUC MK2), literally was a 5 minute process, but of course meant all EU's connected to that particular card losing service for that period.

As an aside, he had un-liveried estate car.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 04:13:07 PM »

Ah, interesting. Thank you.  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 04:15:58 PM »

:)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 04:49:08 PM »

Mr Telent commissioning a "small" ECI equipped cabinet, somewhere in the Surrey countryside . . .

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 07:26:11 PM »

kitz I see you getting US snrm issues as well now. This started since the cab work?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 07:37:57 PM »

by the way ran a speedtest as I remembered. still ok

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 09:05:57 PM »

Van or small hatchback car? If the latter it could well have been someone from Telent, as I seem to recall that only their larger vehicles are actually marked.

Adjustments (physical or configurational) to the FTTC cabinet MSAN will only be carried out by either Beattie Operate or Telent technicians.

Large white hatchback - estate type.  Not a proper van.   Only got a fleeting glimpse as I was driving past and I was looking at the cab mostly.
-----
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

anything