Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: DSLstats v5.2 released  (Read 13144 times)

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: DSLstats v5.2 released
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 09:21:30 AM »

SES seem to be something that the DLM does, and perhaps will in the furure of any new DLM, notice.   I wondered if it might be possible add SES to the CRC plots.  I wondered about with the ES but the aim is see better the times when they occur hence with CRC.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »

Yes, that's a good point. DSLstats really should report SES in some usable manner. I'll put it on the list.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2014, 02:35:05 PM »

Update: I've added a graph of SES in the same style as the CRC graph. I decided that it was tidier to make it a separate graph rather than add it to the CRC graph (even though for most users it will probably be blank most of the time).
  Eric

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, 04:57:19 PM »

I look forwards to using it. Your probably correct re zeros's for most people. On my noisy line I get a few a day if I cap my speed but about 10-20 if I run uncapped. 

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 10:11:03 AM »

Eric I noticed this morning that I had been put on interleaved but DSLStats had not recorded a re-sync, however MDWS had detected the re-sync and sent me an email. I am puzzled as to how MDWS detected it but DSLStats did not.

I guess this is because the re-sync happened and completed within the minute that DSLStats was waiting between samples. Surely this should be detectable by DSLStats, perhaps by checking the DSL uptime has now fallen from its previous value. This would allow DSLStats to both record it and activate any commands which may have been setup to run on a re-sync.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 02:53:19 PM »

Yes Stuart, you're probably right. DSLstats detects a resync by first detecting a connection drop, then detecting a good connection afterwards. So if it all happens within one sample period the resync won't be detected. For the next release I'll add a separate check.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 02:55:10 PM »

Thanks Eric, I think that will help a lot when that sort of thing happens, DSLStats is my first point of call to check the connection..

Stuart

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2014, 03:58:01 PM »

Eric I noticed this morning that I had been put on interleaved but DSLStats had not recorded a re-sync, however MDWS had detected the re-sync and sent me an email. I am puzzled as to how MDWS detected it but DSLStats did not.

Just a quick request for clarification, please.

MDWS will only display the data that it has been sent. As far as I am aware it is only Eric's DSLStats and Bald Eagle1's HG612_stats utilities that currently upload data to MDWS. My conclusion, therefore, is that you have both utilities (DSLStats and HG612_stats) executing and uploading data to MDWS. Is that correct?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2014, 04:16:58 PM »

Just a quick request for clarification, please.

MDWS will only display the data that it has been sent. As far as I am aware it is only Eric's DSLStats and Bald Eagle1's HG612_stats utilities that currently upload data to MDWS. My conclusion, therefore, is that you have both utilities (DSLStats and HG612_stats) executing and uploading data to MDWS. Is that correct?  :-\

Sorrry no only DSLStats, I'm guessing the MDWS senses a reconnect if DSL uptime goes to a lower value than the last data showed. I expected to see an entry in the Event log on a re-sync if DSLStats noticed one and there was nothing.

Stuart

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2014, 04:28:34 PM »

That is very puzzling (to me).  ???  I understood that Tony's MDWS only displays data that it has been sent.  Hmm . . . So it appears that MDWS also makes decisions based upon the data uploaded to it.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2014, 04:37:24 PM »

This is what I got from MDWS

This is to let you know that a resync/restart occurred on your line on 30-11-2014 05:09 (+/- 1 minute).

Reason: 1 Remote Defect Indicator

Current Downstream Sync Rate is now 54998kbps
Current Upstream Sync Rate is now 19993kbps

There was nothing in the DSLStats Event log for that time. The two relevant entries are

30 Nov 2014 04:52:44   Auto snapshots taken
30 Nov 2014 05:42:42   Alert: Downstream FEC/min rose to 105.00

Stuart

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2014, 04:49:08 PM »

That is very puzzling (to me).  ???  I understood that Tony's MDWS only displays data that it has been sent.  Hmm . . . So it appears that MDWS also makes decisions based upon the data uploaded to it.

Corrrect since there is no data uploaded that on its own says exactly when a resync occured, it's not a distinct recordable value as such. You (i.e. the code) have to look at the data and then decide. BE1 and myself also do it different ways, not sure about Eric :-X

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 05:09:47 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2014, 05:04:55 PM »

I mentioned earlier how I currently do it, but as Stuart has pointed out, it can fail if the entire sync drop-resync cycle is completed within one sampling period. So I'll be improving it in the next release, probably by detecting a sudden fall in the AS (available seconds) value.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2014, 05:44:52 PM »

I used to have a 15-20 second sample interval prior to MDWS but now of course it is set to 1 minute. With 3 or 4 samples a minute it is very unlikely DSLStats would miss a re-sync but at one minute or so it is much more likely.

Stuart

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2014, 06:08:59 PM »

Thats must be some fast modem/routers people are using if it takes under 1 second for the line to drop and resync it takes my HH3 about 3 minutes from a cold boot  :-\
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4