Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: WTTC (wireless to the cabinet).  (Read 3010 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
WTTC (wireless to the cabinet).
« on: October 15, 2014, 10:14:12 PM »

Wireless to the cabinet  :hmm: well that's different  8) It's not new but the first time it has been used.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/10/devon-uk-village-gets-80mbps-broadband-via-bts-4km-microwave-radio-link.html
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: WTTC (wireless to the cabinet).
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 10:32:18 PM »

Isn't  dependence on line of sight going to result in reliability problems; for instance if a large lorry parks near the cabinet?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 11:02:12 PM »

Er, not exactly what most people might think..........

It's just a fairly standard microwave link from exchange to cabinet, replacing what would be a fibre link in a more typical current FTTC install.
Cab to home will be as normal, and the old phone copper back to the exchange will presumably be there.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 11:21:13 PM »

I would imagine the microwave antenna would be mounted either on a mast or top of a tall building located nearby.  Way back in the mid to late 90s internet access was being provided via microwave links where it wasn't practical to lay miles of cable.

Where a did an internet technologies course in '97/98, they had a microwave link via Lancaster university. The receiver looked very similar to a satellite dish and mounted on top of the building and irrc had a faster link to the internet than the main college.

I can't see any reason why this technology can't be then hooked up to a dslam, cost would normally be the main restriction.

The only thing that crosses my mind is what the latency would be like.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 11:32:09 PM »

Added - seems things have developed in the world of microwave links and it now offers much lower latency..... and now able to compete with fibre optic when it comes to latency.

http://www.aglmediagroup.com/high-frequency-financial-trading-well-served-by-microwave/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 09:58:54 AM »

Added - seems things have developed in the world of microwave links and it now offers much lower latency..... and now able to compete with fibre optic when it comes to latency.

Er,  microwave transmission is fundamentally faster than thin fibre, 300 m/u sec as against about 200 ? ?   Did the terminal equipment slow it down ? 

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 10:16:12 AM »

Improving my ignorance ( however one may wish to interpret that :D), say a TV signal is blocked close to the Rx i will not get through. Why in the case of a microwave meeting an obstruction close to the cabinet is that not so?

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 10:19:01 AM »

Same way some mobile masts are provided with backhaul.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 10:34:33 AM »

@Renluop - It doesn't mean wireless directly to the cabinet, try reading reply 3 from Kitz. The microwave link will be to a dish on a mast at a suitable height to give clear line of sight.  Microwave links are already used to connect to rural exchanges. :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:37:01 AM by RealAleMadrid »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 10:38:19 AM »

Indeed, just go up to the wilder bits of Scotland and those little dishes are all over the place.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 12:01:53 PM »

Doh! :-[

anything