Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The RF3  (Read 10139 times)

boost

• Reg Member
Re: The RF3
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 05:50:14 PM »

Thanks for all your comments!

Let's rephrase this question because riddles help no one and I suspect I won't be the last person to slap an RF3 on a line hoping and praying for magical outcomes :)

How do I, as the EU, remove those ridiculous spikes from my QLN given unlimited budget/resource?

Let's properly figure this out, if we can and sticky the outcome?
Clearly, the 7 pence RF3 filters we have at our disposal do not work, as it seems the operating envelope for them to work appears to be to use the shittiest modem ever produced combined with an interference profile you could negate by literally blowing the dust out of your NTE.

I don't care if removing the spikes means I can't load any bits on those bins anyway. Academically, what are the options to eliminate them?
How does one view a live QLN? I realise this might mean no synch for the duration but is it possible?

Thank you, you bloody amazing bunch :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 06:12:47 PM »

As far as I am aware, and I'm no expert on this ......... the RF3 is only there to filter the voice side of the circuit. It may also help filter electric fence interference, on the BB part of the circuit. Apart from that ...... nada.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 07:08:13 PM »

Those spikes visible on your QLN graph are from licensed transmitters using the frequency(ies) allocated to them. We are using a technology, xDSL, that makes use of unlicensed transmitters/receivers connected to the ends of an essentially 19th Century infrastructure.

If you would like to see a reduction in the height of those spikes then you will need to connect a series of specifically tuned "notch filters" to the pair, just before it enters the modem. Taking BBC Radio 4 broadcast from Droitwich as an example, you would aim to create and fit a filter that has significant insertion loss at 198 kHz precisely but does not attenuate at 197 or 199 kHz! Essentially an impossible task!
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 08:15:03 PM »

also help filter electric fence interference, on the BB part of the circuit. Apart from that ...... nada.

I don't know if what you said was intended as joke BS  :-\ but yes I get a click click click sound every 1.5 seconds on the radio scanner when the farmer has turned on the power for the cattle wire, I can see this wire from the back garden gate it's less than a meter away and you can here it
audibly as a snap snap snap when the nettles are resting against the wire.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 08:23:23 PM »

Not at all, NS .............................. an extract from part of a million pages on filtering ............  ???

Note:  Remember, it is only the voice portion of the signal that is being filtered. Noise will still be present on the BB part of the circuit. An RF3 filter may also help if BB is affected due to electric fences

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 08:28:34 PM »

As I was flicking between this and the official documentation (Plus responding to JGO via PM), I've also come across this as well .......  :-\

The addition of an RF3 filter will build in "automatic" protection against REIN faults on all lines where a VDSL SSFP Mk 3 is fitted, whether currently affected by REIN or not. It’s cheaper to include this on all lines (where an SSFP is to be fitted) as standard and prevent the need for a future visit to fit a stand-alone RF3 filter.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 09:27:49 PM »

:hmm:  Hmm . . . Interesting quotation. Thanks for posting it, B*Sheep.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 10:03:08 PM »

As I was flicking between this and the official documentation (Plus responding to JGO via PM), I've also come across this as well .......  :-\

The addition of an RF3 filter will build in "automatic" protection against REIN faults on all lines where a VDSL SSFP Mk 3 is fitted, whether currently affected by REIN or not. It’s cheaper to include this on all lines (where an SSFP is to be fitted) as standard and prevent the need for a future visit to fit a stand-alone RF3 filter.

Now I think we are getting closer to the truth  ;)

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 10:04:19 PM »

Wanna enlighten me? :D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014, 10:46:27 PM »

Wanna enlighten me? :D

This is my interpretation  :-\ once the devices as above are inserted onto the end-users line and if the end-user still thinks REIN is the issue OpenReach can claim all REIN protection is installed at the EU premises this gives OpenReach the upperhand during the ISP negotiation who fit's the bill during a visit by OR to EU premises.

again I could be 100% wrong
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 10:48:30 PM by NewtronStar »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 07:30:49 AM »

Don't forget, NS, REIN faulting is at present a gratis service provided by OR, (There were plans afoot I believe to resolve this, but haven't heard anything recently ?).

If an offending item such as satellite set-top receiver has gone faulty causing interference with the DSL service, OR obviously can't be held responsible.
So I think the fact that they provide in-built filters such as the MK3 to aid with the EU's predicament, should been seen as a positive step by OR, rather than the typical stance that they are monsters.  ;) ;D   

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 10:32:21 AM »

Don't forget, NS, REIN faulting is at present a gratis service provided by OR, (There were plans afoot I believe to resolve this, but haven't heard anything recently ?).

If an offending item such as satellite set-top receiver has gone faulty causing interference with the DSL service, OR obviously can't be held responsible.
So I think the fact that they provide in-built filters such as the MK3 to aid with the EU's predicament, should been seen as a positive step by OR, rather than the typical stance that they are monsters.  ;) ;D   

I propose the introduction of the LL15 - REIN tech! Make a paid for service and do it ASAP, IMHO :)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything