Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: leaving your PC on 24/7  (Read 26544 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
leaving your PC on 24/7
« on: October 12, 2014, 12:28:31 AM »

I was doing some sums this evening for a 100 watt desktop PC left on for a year to moniter stats.

So thats 100 watts per hour and in 24 hours you have used 2.4 kilowatts
now multiply that by 7 (week) = 16.8 kilowatts then multiply that by 4 (month) = 67.2 kilowatts

now we multiply that by 12 (year) = 806.4 kilowatts, now we have the total kilowatts for this PC running at 100 watts over 365 days it's time to convert total into real money.

Each user will have what's called there unit price for 1 kilowatt used for me its 0.156p so if I multiply 806.4 kilowatts by the unit (0.156p) we will get the total cost of running a Desktop PC for one year.

So here it is £125.79p  :o
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 12:31:39 AM by NewtronStar »

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: leaving your PC on 24/7
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 12:43:35 AM »

It's a pity you can't just open a port on the router and let MyDSLWebStats come and get them

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 12:53:10 AM »

Each user will have what's called there unit price for 1 kilowatt used for me its 0.156p so if I multiply 806.4 kilowatts by the unit (0.156p) we will get the total cost of running a Desktop PC for one year.

Which, despite my reply in a previous thread, is a good reason to get one or more Raspberry Pis - if you can move the functions of the 24/7 PCs over to them, you've got a significant power saving. 

I've got a pi that runs all the time, mainly as a media server with a hard disk attached.  Draws about 4 watts idle and 12 watts when busy.  Since it lives in my shed, I'm now wondering about solar power for it via a 12 Volt car battery and a few cheap solar panels.

Ian

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 01:21:53 AM »

my 24/7 PC is an intel atom with an ssd, so it's only 10W or so. I would like to run dslstats on it at some point as its my firewall system and directly connected to the modem, however at this point I don't think dslstats can run on a CLI only linux system.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 01:30:39 AM »

modern computers have power saving.

e.g. although a gtx 760 is more powerful than a 8800gt, a 8800gt doesnt have 2d clocks, its at 3d clocks all the time.
a intel haswell can almost completely stop at idle.
with that said when I measured the power draw of my rig at idle its nowhere near as low as people in reviews give and my electric bill is pretty big considering the only things on 24/7 here are pc/router/fridge.  plus maybe tv/stb and a few other things on standby.  My monthly electric bill is approx £60.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 01:49:54 AM »

Which, despite my reply in a previous thread, is a good reason to get one or more Raspberry Pis - if you can move the functions of the 24/7 PCs over to them, you've got a significant power saving. 

I've got a pi that runs all the time, mainly as a media server with a hard disk attached.  Draws about 4 watts idle and 12 watts when busy.  Since it lives in my shed, I'm now wondering about solar power for it via a 12 Volt car battery and a few cheap solar panels.

Ian

So the RPi running at 4 watts over 24 hours = 96 watts multiply that by 7 (week) = 672 watts then multiply that by 4 (month) = 2688 watts or 2.688 kilowatts.

to get the yearly total kilowatts used for a RPi multiply 2.688 by 12 (year) = 32.2 kilowatts so the cost in real money is 32.2 kilowatts * unit price (My unit 0.156) =  £5.02p  ;D

a saving of £120  :D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 01:57:34 AM by NewtronStar »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 02:09:47 AM »

modern computers have power saving.

e.g. although a gtx 760 is more powerful than a 8800gt, a 8800gt doesnt have 2d clocks, its at 3d clocks all the time.
a intel haswell can almost completely stop at idle.
with that said when I measured the power draw of my rig at idle its nowhere near as low as people in reviews give and my electric bill is pretty big considering the only things on 24/7 here are pc/router/fridge.  plus maybe tv/stb and a few other things on standby.  My monthly electric bill is approx £60.

My monthly electric bill is £32 and have the same as you except my PC is not on 24/7  ::)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 02:40:08 AM »

Thanks..  Interesting discussion.

My pc is on 24/7. If I did happen to turn it off each night for say for 8hrs then, based on your figures I'd save appx £40 pa.?

Another though I had was that after 15 mins of inactivity, the monitors auto shut down and stay off.  In this state the processor will be practically idle, so it would be interesting to know just how much power it uses in that state.

------

My monthly bill is £48 (it was £55 last year, but I'd gone into credit so they refunded me and reduced this years).   Main uses for me would be fridge, oven, kettle, washing machine tumble dryer and shower.  Pc and router.   TV and ATV is usually on most evening for streaming.  I charge the ipad every night and the phone and iPod also get frequently charged.  I also have very long hair so the hair dryer and straighteners usually get a very good work out most days.

I just had another thought, I leave the hall landing light on most nights.  I replaced that bulb a couple of weeks ago with a normal 100 watt bulb as I was out of 60w.   So that is also going to be costing as much as the pc?

« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 02:49:34 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 07:21:26 AM »

I wonder - are any modems made with CMOS logic ?
 Not heard of it for sometime, but the point is there was a minuscule standby drain; only used appreciable power when the logic changed state.  Would think it was OK for ADSL if not fast xDSL . 

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 08:49:35 AM »

I was doing some sums this evening for a 100 watt desktop PC left on for a year to moniter stats.

So thats 100 watts per hour and in 24 hours you have used 2.4 kilowatts
now multiply that by 7 (week) = 16.8 kilowatts then multiply that by 4 (month) = 67.2 kilowatts

now we multiply that by 12 (year) = 806.4 kilowatts, now we have the total kilowatts for this PC running at 100 watts over 365 days it's time to convert total into real money.

My RPi B+ (uses less power then previous versions) that has been testing for upload to MyDSLWebStats  (off at the moment) consumes 1.6 - 1.9W (measured) when running and it's using the Technicolor Router USB port for the power (although later models apparently have no USB port). That's a bare board RPi with no accessories other than a Belkin WiFi dongle.

NB: Although your final figure and logic is dead-on, your 0.156p should read £0.156 (i.e. 15.2p/kWh)...
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 09:00:16 AM »

I think 100w for a modern PC is a bit high.

For me my server, NAS, router, switch and vodafone sure signal going through my UPS consume 86W; these are on 24/7 along with (not on the UPS) the modem, another wireless AP.

This is a 4 adult house with multiple TV's, PVR's and monthly bill about £70.

IAn

krypton

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 10:32:30 AM »

I think it would be possible to run a script on the router itself to send the data to MDWS.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 10:46:21 AM »

That would be amazing

krypton

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 10:56:03 AM »

We have root access, so why should it not be possible? Unfortunately I have too little linux scripting skills to write something like this.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 12:03:58 PM »

I think 100w for a modern PC is a bit high.

For me my server, NAS, router, switch and vodafone sure signal going through my UPS consume 86W; these are on 24/7 along with (not on the UPS) the modem, another wireless AP.

The question I was trying to ask in my earlier post was that presumably the PC wont be running at fully load 24/7 and therefore the power consumption would be much lower than say when playing games or doing anything that would stress the PC out?

"In this state the processor will be practically idle, so it would be interesting to know just how much power it uses in that state."

There's an interesting article here that discusses this and links to a free application called Joulemeter.    Unfortunately though Ive no idea how to manually configure the app without a power meter.   After a search I found that my CPU power dissipation is 77W.

Something for chrys to note - irrc his PC is overclocked which means that he will be drawing a heck of a lot more power than one which isnt.

While attempting to search, one thing I have learnt is that theres a heck of a lot of things that are way more power hungry than a PC...  and I need to do something today re that 100w bulb on the hall landing  :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7