Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Does TalkTalk FTTC Require Authentication?  (Read 4507 times)

phi2008

• Reg Member
Does TalkTalk FTTC Require Authentication?
« on: November 30, 2014, 08:38:58 PM »

Might sound like a strange question but does TalkTalk FTTC require a username/password for the connection? I think I read somewhere that you could enter anything for the username/password on TalkTalk ADSL, and have been unofficially told it's the same for TalkTalk FTTC. My line is going to switch over to TalkTalk fibre in a couple of days and I haven't yet got the "Welcome Pack" with the username/password(though they did send out the router).  ::)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Does TalkTalk FTTC Require Authentication?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 09:01:39 PM »

I can confirm that for TalkTalk ADSL[2+] services anything/anything would be appropriate, as the authentication is by the calling line identity. I believe it is also true for a TalkTalk VDSL2 (FTTC) service.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:03:53 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 09:06:17 PM »

I can confirm that for TalkTalk ADSL[2+] services anything/anything would be appropriate, as the authentication is by the calling line identity. I believe it is also true for a TalkTalk VDSL2 (FTTC) service.

It is indeed true for TalkTalk FTTC in fact there is nowhere to put any information into the router with the correct settings.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 09:14:17 PM »

Thanks burakkucat and broadstairs, after much Googling I found this thread which states that TalkTalk uses the line ID for authentication.

It's a bit strange my Welcome Pack hasn't arrived, they sent me a letter to confirm the direct debit details, sent out the router on time(also Royal Mail), but no sign of the Welcome Pack(though support said it had been sent). Had the odd issue with Royal Mail recently so I'll refrain from blaming TalkTalk for the time being.  ???

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 09:31:38 PM »

Originally your username with TT would be your full phone number at tt.net eg. 01843123456@talktalk.net and you could retrieve your password by calling a special number from your TT phone, dont know when that changed as I have been with them for a number of years. However now it is redundant as has been said.

I nd others here would be interested in how your FTTC connection goes when live, If you are having a self install then all you will have is their SuperRouter Huawei HG635. It is possible to get line stats from it but you need a special config file to load in order to be able to run DSLStats to gather data. If you are having an engineer install I guess you might end up with a BT router acting as a modem with the HG635 behind it as a router.

Anyway let us know how it goes.

Stuart

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 09:45:05 PM »

The password retrieval phone number is still active. I'm migrating to TalkTalk from another fibre provider so no engineer home visit necessary according to their order tracker.  I'll be using an unlocked HG612+pfSense router assuming there are no problems.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 08:01:46 AM »

Do you currently run any stats retrieval program against the HG612?

Stuart

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 09:55:35 AM »

No, although I have tested(?) DSLstats v5.0.1 under Wine and it seems to work(I run OS X Yosemite). Luckily I've had zero problems with my FTTC over the 21 months it's been active, I sync at or reasonably close to the max rate.