Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How do I isolate BT master socket?  (Read 5095 times)

sayed

• Just arrived
How do I isolate BT master socket?
« on: February 04, 2015, 12:01:16 PM »

Hi everyone,

I have been having noise issues with my phone line, so I connected the phone directly to the test socket by taking off the faceplate but the noise is still there and what I found is that the extensions still work, even though the faceplate is off.

I thought all the extensions would fed from the faceplate. Now I am confused as to where the extension cables are fed from.

Could the noise be caused by this (possibly faulty wiring)? Or is this type of wiring normal? 

If the latter then where do you think the extensions may be fed from?

There are six extension sockets in the property.

Your answers are much appreciated.
Sayed

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: How do I isolate BT master socket?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 12:30:29 PM »

Could the noise be caused by this (possibly faulty wiring)? Or is this type of wiring normal? 
In turn, yes and no. This needs rectifying ASAP.

You will have to trace the cables back from the extensions to see where they go.

sayed

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 12:45:50 PM »

In turn, yes and no. This needs rectifying ASAP.

You will have to trace the cables back from the extensions to see where they go.

Thank you for your swift reply.

In your opinion is this a problem BT has to deal with? or do I have to bear the cost?

If it is my responsibility, any ideas on how to go about this?
All the extensions are wired through internal wall cabling ducts so I assume it  would be a difficult (potentially costly) job.

Sayed

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 01:00:38 PM »

You appear to have extensions connected directly to the incoming cable, either at the back of the master socket or at a junction box. Officially this is all owned by Openreach, and any changes should only be made by them. However it's very unlikely that this extension wiring was 'official', so there will probably be a charge for correcting it.

If the extensions are connected at a junction box, then it's easy to disconnect the extensions without disturbing the other wiring. But if they are connected at the back of the master socket then you should leave well alone unless you're confident that you know what you're doing.
  Eric

sayed

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 02:59:17 PM »

You appear to have extensions connected directly to the incoming cable........

You were right, what I found is that direct BT wire was connected to one of the extensions, the master socket and other extensions were fed from this as a chain connection.

I believe I can fix this by moving the BT master socket where the extension is, but I think I better leave it for BT to do it just in case I get in some sort of trouble in the future. I don't think I should be charged for this because the master socket was fitted wrongly by BT.

Any thoughts?

Sayed

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 03:58:08 PM »

I don't know what the policy is on charging for this kind of thing, but your solution does sound like the simplest.
  Eric

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 05:04:46 PM »

I know a few years ago the cost of an Openreach engineer coming out to move a master socket or something similar was £99.88 plus £64.63 (incl vat).
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 05:28:39 PM »

Just a thought - If BT is charging heavily for the visit, is it worth getting them to fit a faceplate at the same visit ? With 6 extensions it is probably useful, in the future if not immediately .  Any thoughts Roseway ?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 06:29:20 PM »

I think that if Openreach is being paid to move the master socket they will fit an SSFP as a matter of course.
  Eric

sayed

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 06:46:30 PM »

Thank you everyone,

I managed to move the master socket myself (with a lot of help from this site and others) , but this didn't solve the noise problem, so now at least I know for sure that the problem is not at my end. I have reported the fault to my ISP (Plusnet), hopefully they will get this sorted soon.

Sayed

anything