Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How to setup Bridge mode using two VMG8324-B10A  (Read 14394 times)

HDTechVideo

How to setup Bridge mode using two VMG8324-B10A
« on: October 06, 2014, 08:39:30 AM »

Hi,
I have two VMG8324-B10A zyxel eFibre modem. One is connected with internet line located in ground floor. Another one is not connected anywhere. I want to use that modem in upstairs to connect my external HDD and Printer also get more powerful wireless network in upstairs.
Some one could you please help me the setup...
Thanks & Regards...

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: How to setup Bridge mode using two VMG8324-B10A
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 02:36:45 AM »

Ive moved this thread to the router section where its more likely to be seen when it comes to router configuration.

From your description, Im not sure if its actually bridge mode that you want to be doing.  If you want to just purely use one of them as a modem and nothing much else, and the other router upstairs for all your wifi and LAN connections, yes bridging will work.

Theres a thread where Chrys has already done this, and also a tutorial here - ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A - Bridge Mode for FTTC.

Your other option is to keep one of the routers downstairs as the vdsl modem/router and turning the other router either into a wireless access point or a wireless repeater.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 09:37:50 AM »

nice timing eh for guide :)

HDTechVideo

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 03:53:03 PM »

Hi Is there any way to do bridging wireless
http://www.cyberciti.biz/networking/howto-connect-two-wireless-router-wirelessly-bridge-with-open-source-software/
Is it possible in Zyxel VMG8324-B10A

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 04:52:02 PM »

ahh.. see what you want to do now... that is what I meant by wireless repeater. I think the 2 terms may be used interchangeably.
Although you can use spare routers as APS devices, not all are capable of being repeaters which is why some turn to open source...  however just having had a look at the Zyxel config.. it looks like you may be in luck - because there certainly does look like options in there for configuring a wireless bridge.   

Check out Network setting > Wireless > then the WDS tab.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 05:04:13 PM »

routers have specific wan ports so no, do what kitz said instead.

HDTechVideo

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 05:35:06 PM »

ahh.. see what you want to do now... that is what I meant by wireless repeater. I think the 2 terms may be used interchangeably.
Although you can use spare routers as APS devices, not all are capable of being repeaters which is why some turn to open source...  however just having had a look at the Zyxel config.. it looks like you may be in luck - because there certainly does look like options in there for configuring a wireless bridge.   

Check out Network setting > Wireless > then the WDS tab.

Yes WDS is there.

1. First modem is connected with efiber Line located in ground floor
2. Second one is in first floor

1 What is the Setup for the first modem ?
2. What is the Setup for the second modem?

Thanks....

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 06:47:43 PM »

I would assume that the first device is configured as a wireless access point, whilst the second device is configured as a wireless client?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 06:59:45 PM »

Although Ive setup and used other routers as wireless APs..  this isnt something Ive actually done before.. as previously mentioned there are relatively few routers that can do this and normally youd have to buy a dedicated repeater.

Ive just checked the manual and this is about all it says

An AP using the Wireless Distribution System (WDS) can function as a wireless network bridge
allowing you to wirelessly connect two wired network segments. The WDS screen allows you to
configure the Device to connect to two or more APs wirelessly when WDS is enabled.
Use this screen to set up your WDS (Wireless Distribution System) links between the Device and
other wireless APs. You need to know the MAC address of the peer device. Once the security
settings of peer sides match one another, the connection between devices is made.
Note: WDS security is independent of the security settings between the Device and any
wireless clients.
Note: At the time of writing, WDS is compatible with other ZyXEL APs only.

so I guess you'd have to play..   before you do something of importance to bear in mind before you start going down this path... wireless speeds are likely to drop dramatically.  Also remember to turn of DHCP on the AP...   and finally bear in mind that any equipment or devices attached to the 2nd router will have to share the same bandwidth link between router A and B.. so if you get say 10Mbps..  that all you can get in total... and not [no of devices x bandwidth].
-----

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 07:32:03 PM »

As far as I recall, you have to configure both devices with the same SSID, key, channel number and security. Then in the secondary router you have to enter the MAC address of the primary router, and turn off DHCP on the secondary router.

The speed you get depends on the number of radios in the router, if it only has one you will get half speed as the radio is used to both send and receive.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 07:39:12 PM »

I was trying to think of a way to better put what I wrote above..  and perhaps this explains it better what I was trying to get at.

Drawbacks

Since only one wireless device can transmit at once, wireless transmissions are doubled (router to repeater and then repeater to client versus just router to client), and so:

Wireless throughput is reduced by at least 50%.
    Wireless interference (e.g., with other networks on the same channel) is at least doubled.

Then on top of that you still have to remember there is still the link bandwidth restriction shared amongst all devices.   If your signal between A&B is already weak, then this may not be the way to go.

Atm you may be able to get 3 x [say] 12Mbps, using this method you could end up with say 3 x 2Mbps  (12Mb/2 shared between 3)

A better option for extending wireless coverage is to configure a secondary box as a wireless access point,

------------
ETA
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted
Dray has also just explained the half speed loss too.
-----

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 08:02:54 PM »

I used to do this and this link is good guide to what I used to do but I suspect things have moved on a lot since. 
    http://vpncasestudy.com/download/WDS/WDS_Concept.pdf

anything