Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DSLstats Raspberry Pi version  (Read 7844 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DSLstats Raspberry Pi version
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 07:57:26 AM »

Installing and running it on the RPi is much the same as on any other Linux system. You just have to accept that it's a very low powered machine, so the GUI is quite sluggish at times. But DSLstats doesn't use a lot of CPU time, so it runs perfectly well.
  Eric

MartinGoose

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 11:13:52 AM »

... so the GUI is quite sluggish at times.

This is particularly the case when the software is accessing the modem/router.  When it is doing this the word 'sampling' appears in red just to the left of the 'snapshot all active graphs' command button. Wait 'till this disappears then 'normal service is resumed'!

I find the performance is OK even when I am accessing my headless RPi remotely using the RDP (remote desktop) protocol.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 01:36:46 PM »

Now that is a good use for my R Pi as it's still in the box and I had one of the first ones and never powered it up yet  :o
Job for a cold winters night  ;)
Is it easy to do ?.

once your Raspberry PI is setup running the raspian OS with the new Noobs card installed it make that process much easier and from then on it's easy to use the RPI web browser to erics web site and download Dslstats RPI and unzip to folder and double click erics executable  :)

The hard part with the RPI is installing device drivers.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 03:05:13 PM »

As some of you know I run a 'Smoothwall' hardware firewall 24/7, will Dslstats  run it on that  :hmm:
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 04:22:17 PM »

Sorry, but I have no idea. DSLstats does need a desktop installation of course.
  Eric

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 04:26:21 PM »

smoothwall has no gui so I very much doubt it will.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2014, 10:26:24 PM »

You just have to accept that it's a very low powered machine, so the GUI is quite sluggish at times. But DSLstats doesn't use a lot of CPU time, so it runs perfectly well.

Well I am streaming stuff from youtube (HTML5) using Epiphany Web browser and running Dslstats the CPU is getting close to 97% and don't try to expand youtube to full screen as the browser will come to a halt  :(

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 09:53:37 AM »

Ii is great have a pi version and now with a B+ i am finally logging 24/7   :) .

On the issue of dslstats perhaps being Pi SD card killer, I had for other reasons directed the snapshots to a usb drive.  Might it be useful to be able to also choose the location for all the files that are written to at least every day.?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2014, 10:22:49 AM »

I can certainly look at that. Much of the writing concerns temporary files, so in fact there's a good solution which involves redirecting temporary writes to a ramdisk. This would involve the user in a small bit of configuration, and I will also need to make a small change to DSLstats. You can read about the solution here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/extend-life-raspberry-pis-sd-card/
  Eric

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2014, 02:16:18 PM »

thing to bear in mind before rushing to ramdisks on the pi is it doesn't have a whole lot of ram (256MB or 512MB depending on the version, minus however much is used for video ram, which iirc can be up to 128MB on model A and 256MB on model B)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2014, 02:27:44 PM »

You make a good point there. As far as DSLstats is concerned, it's only a small amount of data which is saved temporarily, so I'll look at other ways to hold that data which don't involve disk writes.
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2]