Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DSLstats On Raspberry Pi  (Read 1672 times)

Korben_dallas

DSLstats On Raspberry Pi
« on: October 04, 2014, 07:20:50 PM »

Hi,

I recently bought a Raspberry Pi B+ in order to run my weather station and dslstats 24/7.

Am new to using Linux but have managed to get the program running however ideally I would like to have the program and its data stored and running from a USB drive.  So far playing with the Pi I have found that :-

1. Within the graphic desktop (startx) I can get the program to run from within the Pi user home directory, if I double click it then it starts. 
2. If I attempt to run it from the mounted usb drive from the graphic desktop it asks me what program I want to open the file with, yet the properties does say it is an executable so unable to get it to run from here or at least start as I cant see what is different from that of it being in the home folder.
3. I have tried to configure email alerts but when i dont get en email, am using the same settings as I do on my NAS to send alerts.

If I can get it to run from the usb flash drive then ideally I would like the program to auto-start but I think it will only run within the graphic desktop, which means in the event of a power cut I would need to configure the Pi to autostart startx the graphics mode and then for dslstats to autostart.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated for the newbie with raspian wheezy.

Cheers

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DSLstats On Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 07:38:24 PM »

I haven't tried to do this myself, but one thing which occurs is that the USB drive will almost certainly be formatted as FAT32. In Linux, an executable has to have its executable bit set in the file properties (metadata) and FAT32 doesn't have support for this. There may be a way round it, but I suspect that you need to format the USB drive with a Linux filesystem such as Ext4 (or maybe Ext2).
  Eric