Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The black art of wiring optimisation  (Read 15354 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: The black art of wiring optimisation
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 06:35:02 PM »

I may be tempted to carve a slit in the insulation to see inside so as to confirm or deny that possibility.   :-\

And result... of investigation the darned thing is screened, but has only plastic plugs and so no possibility of grounding.   I'd never have bought it if I'd known!   >:(

The merits and demerits of ungrounded screened cables have often been debated on these forums.   I have always argued that they are bad, and this seems to confirm that I will argue even more strongly in future.    But I also intend to buy a bag of RJ11 plugs and make up some cable for myself, including an unscreened Cat 5, and maybe various other mediums. :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 06:35:36 PM »

7LM: I guess I ought to remind you that frequent disconnections (to change the modem cable) will sooner or later result in DLM taking action to deal with the perceived instability.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 06:40:26 PM »

7LM: I guess I ought to remind you that frequent disconnections (to change the modem cable) will sooner or later result in DLM taking action to deal with the perceived instability.

Indeed, I am well acquainted with such characteristics of the old ADSL1 DLM.   :'(

But on returning to the original cabling at the end of my experiments has so far resulted in an immediate return to the exact same download speeds, hence I see no evidence that DLM has yet taken any action.   :fingers:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 07:01:23 PM »

DLM on VDSL2 only acts once per 24 hours (in the small hours, I believe).
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 07:19:14 PM »

DLM on VDSL2 only acts once per 24 hours (in the small hours, I believe).

So the old DLM as far as I recall, with the exception of the 'rapid stabilisation' penalty for repeated disconnects, which was an immediate penalty of two DLM SNRM increments, ie 6dB.

But thanks for the warnings.   I have been taking all precautions, such as powering off first in the hope a dying gasp will be sent and acted upon, as well as leaving power off for a few minutes after the wiring changed before restarting, and restricting  myself to just 2 or 3 attempts at a time, then pausing for several hours before continuing.   Even still, I know it is a risk.    :(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2014, 07:24:39 PM »

I'll cross my fingers for you :)
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2014, 07:31:17 PM »

I'll cross my fingers for you :)

Please do. :D

I've just ordered some RJ11s but declined to pay extra for fast delivery so, hopefully perhaps, restraint will be forced upon me for a few days before I push my luck any further.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »

What on earth is a screened cable? :D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2014, 09:04:27 PM »

The smiley makes me think I must be missing some point of irony, in which case give me a clue ?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2014, 10:51:15 PM »

The smiley makes me think I must be missing some point of irony, in which case give me a clue ?

Ahh, just got it. 

:lol:

A bit slow, these days :-[

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 12:30:24 AM »

Genuine question! I smiley everything :D

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2014, 01:07:24 AM »

Ahh, just got it. 

:lol:

A bit slow, these days :-[

Can someone give me a clue please.  :hmm:
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2014, 01:41:08 AM »

Can someone give me a clue please.  :hmm:

A screened cable needs to have its screening earthed.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 10:08:48 AM »

@7lm When I tried the selection of adsl leads in my cupboard and made a few up with BT cable and CatV cable nothing very dramatic was found.  The best and worst cable only differed by ~0.2 db and most swaps showed a 0.1 change.  I tested one cable a day doing 2 swaps in and out a day and finally checked the best few with a set of test further tests.  One of the best was one I made, but another I made that should have been the same was not so good.  The other best one did also happen to be twisted and came from ebay.  One of the flat pairs that came with a modem was also good .  Given that one of my homemade ones was good and one not so good I would not guarantee that the ebay one is definitely good either.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-WHITE-RJ11-ADSL-BROADBAND-TWISTED-PAIR-CABLE-LEAD-/350702060175?pt=UK_Computing_DSL_Phone_Cables_RJ_11_&hash=item51a778c28f     and other sizes

I have wondered if the best simply had the best joints in the RJ11. Two RJ11 cables with Cat 5 were not so good.  My advice is not to expect much but just to try a few to make sure that your not using a dud.

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2014, 10:19:37 AM »

It is only a black art if you believe in the Plumbing theory of electricity, i.e. "Electricity flows down wires, like water in a pipe".   

In fact there are associated electric, magnetic and electromagnetic fields, with different effects. At power frequencies you can get away ignoring them most of the time; for electronics you can't !   
With experience one can visualise what is happening and go straight to the best way, which looks like magic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything