Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A firmware issues  (Read 21458 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Stand alone VDSL modem options
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 04:36:37 PM »

I'd like to replace my BT supplied modem with a.n.other device, in order to gain access to line stats.   I'm aware of the possibilities for unlocking, and that's not ruled out.   But it is not ideal as, it requires two of my cat5 cable attachments, which are something of a precious resource.

So I am wondering... If I were to configure a modem-router such as a Zyxel or Billion in Bridge mode (is that the right terminology?) would I still need a second LAN connection to access the management interface? 

...And if so, would anybody care to predict whether I might be able to configure such a modem-router to use WiFi for said management interface, rather than wired LAN?   The problem I foresee here would be telling the device to be a WiFi client, whereas they are normally APs.   :-\

I realise it is unlikely anybody will be able to say with certainty that any given device will suit my needs, I'm really just looking for inspiration and encouragement/discouragement before possibly making a purchase that's inappropriate.    :-[

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: ZyXel VMG8324-B10A issues
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 04:38:13 PM »

I did focus on the errors but I assumed they were no where near big enough to be causing the packet loss.  I never found out why I had the packet loss or what was causing it.  Have you identified what caused your odd BQM?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 05:05:28 PM »

in my view the router is doing something dodgy when passing on the packets in bridge mode so I consider it a firmware bug currently.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 05:52:24 PM »

seems continuous loss as well on pings.

check my graph.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/f18259bf3f0c6df009a6b13e06de2ddd.html

it isnt due to dsl errors as they low enough so something the device is not handling right.

This certainly isnt anything Ive ever seen. 

My speedtest isnt as high as it usually is

and Im seeing more yellow on the TBB ping, but Im putting that down to the gateway Im on - Ive mostly been like this since the issues with the BNGs the other week - see my graph from the 17th :/

This is now - Im on pcl-ag05 which is pretty full - in fact it looks like that pipe just had a blip
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2014, 06:06:37 PM »

As a test Ive just downloaded a 1GB test file from TBB.  You can see from my live graph ( post above) that during this I had no packet loss. (That blip I mentioned earlier was there before testing).

It does look like that the pipe Im on though is showing some signs of congestion - see my Netmeter download graph attached below :( 
Im using it as a vdsl modem/router and not in bridge mode.   Ive never had any problems either connecting to HG612 modem stats.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 06:16:09 PM »

kitz its the zyxel not isp for my report.

the ppp also kept jumping by itself so it must have been on a dozen or so gateways during that time as well.

no doubt is some plusnet(btw) congestion issues ongoing tho, after I went back on the hg612 at 3pm I was getting 30-40mbit on tbb speedtest wtf???? not even 6pm so I jumped and was back to full speed.

see also the MSO thread, I noticed a new plusnet gw.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 06:50:03 PM »

>>  see also the MSO thread,

Ive only recently got home and the only thing Ive done so far is visit this section of the forum, so I'll check that out.  I'll also likely go on a gateway hop in a bit.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 06:51:27 PM »

PS Chrys..  just thought..   could it be anything to do with IPv6?
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 07:08:55 PM »

I guess cannot rule it out until I disable ipv6.

But if the device is only bridging it should just be dumb routing the packets.

Is a pain to retest just for that tho, damn DLM, if was no DLM I wouldnt care. As you may have noticed the complete red blackouts on my graph they were the 30 min waits I did for DLM.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2014, 07:20:57 PM »

screenie I took before it got disconnected.

and 2nd is hg612 from now
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:23:44 PM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 07:28:34 PM »

I suggest you update to the latest firmware before complaining. There's is a thread on here with newer versions than what's available on ZyXels website.

With regards to the stats did you change the password, and make sure the IP address is correct?  HG612 stats seems to hang if you have a wrong password.

I think you was partially right, right now I am assuming it tried to fetch stats during a period it couldnt connect as the zyxel takes an age to boot and I was moving cables around, and as it appeared to suddenly come to life I expect the stats exe eventually timed out and then it started working.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 08:32:56 PM »

It only seems to hang when the password is wrong, it's fine if it can't access the modem (IE wrong IP), no idea what will happen if the modems still booting though.

I've also seen my ping graph change since switching to the ZyXel, the large blue and yellow is caused by my cloud back up software. Before it never had this affect, doesn't seem to affect the feel of the internet though.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 08:37:24 PM »

its worth noting I only checked the graph after the handful of other issues were immediately apparent such as speedtest's stopping 1 second in, downloads aborting etc.  Les has also confirmed the packet loss.  You are running it in router mode I ran it in bridge mode.

the modem stats tool does also hang if there is no network connectivity, it hung e.g. when I pulled my network cable out when in the process of putting the zyxel between the asus and my pc.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2014, 10:09:06 PM »

When I said hung, I meant a hung process, that I had end with task manager,  is this what you meant?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2014, 10:58:38 PM »

I've also seen my ping graph change since switching to the ZyXel, the large blue and yellow is caused by my cloud back up software. Before it never had this affect, doesn't seem to affect the feel of the internet though.

I wonder if its something to do with the QoS settings?
-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5