Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Recent observations of my connection  (Read 7575 times)

tommy45

• Reg Member
Recent observations of my connection
« on: October 02, 2014, 03:36:15 AM »

Recently  over the past 2weeks,both my attainable and SNR have been showing an increase, (both upstream and downstream) and following a re-sync around 2hrs ago  the attainable now is higher still, and the ds bit swapping and error rates appear to be lower than they where, the reason code for loss of sync is 1, and RDI: Remote Defect Indicator according to mywebstats, does that mean a fault with the cab?

Also another observation not with the line stats, but the Tbbqm and the f8lure graph seem to be showing  random packet loss spikes, this is when on the BGN gateways PTN and PTW 01  but the packet loss isn't  present on my ping plotter graphs, so could be the return path to me that is dropping packets i have also checked  the error rates at the times that the dropped packets are shown, there is no marked increase ,so imo it's something Plusnet's side or wholesale's

Looking at the plusnet TBBQM's belonging to other connections it would seem that at least 3 others saw a disconnect at the same time as me, be that just a loss of PPPOE session or sync as well,
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 06:40:05 PM by tommy45 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Recent observations of my connection
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 10:14:11 PM »

but the Tbbqm and the f8lure graph seem to be showing  random packet loss spikes

Things are all over place atm on the BGNs and the silence so far is deafening :(
It is rather strange though that its only showing on the TBBQM and not ping plotter.

Im also seeing the same - increased latency on TBBQM but doesnt actually appear to affect my browsing or a pingplot - or tracert come to that.

Bearing in mind TBBQM will be plotting time to our network (downstream) whilst tracerts and pingplotter send from our network (upstream) you could be on to something... but what I dont know Im afraid..  until PN decide to tell us more. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 11:23:31 PM »

For me ,not sure about others on plusnet, but the BNG's offer 200-300kbps more downstream throughput than the other older  Gateways, they also don't seem to show the peak time latency hump or increase in jitter like the other gateways, the PTN and PTW BNG's have the lowest latency I hopped onto a PTN AG01  before and the base latency was 7ms higher than what it should be giving me a base latency of 20ms, and i'm on fastpath, lol as bad as the latency that BE dished out

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 08:45:55 AM »

lately I have same experience as kitz, even tho the BNG's are supposedbly under loaded with users I havent been able to get full speeds on them whenever I tested.  During peak hours that is.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 10:46:31 AM »

Both the ptn and ptw bng's for me seem ok, as for the other 3 pcl's bngs  i can't say about throughput as i did not stay connected to them, as the base latency on them wasn't as low as it should be, It's possible that the end points or some of their end points are the reason behind the low throughput, but these are not visible to us,
This would explain why a certain gateway doesn't give poor performance to everyone connected to it or at least go some way to explaining
I remember last year there being several announcements regarding them adding more capacity for data transit but nothing this year about it that i can recall, which may indicate that they have stopped increasing  bandwidth, but continued taking new customers ? Looking at the thread on the plusnet forum, that 23:30pm time is all too familiar to me , last year i had similar issues with poor throughput during peak times but mainly Sunday & Mondays , but did occur other days if not the sun or Mon,  Apparently there was no congestion back then either,   even though the tbbqm showed the peak latency hump some of the time throughput was impacted 
Is your upstream throughput also impacted when uploading using FTP in particular, mine was,  although difficult to pin point if it was the  remote FTP server  or plusnet,  throughput would be reduced, and the number of active threads would be limited  to 2 or 4
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 11:17:12 AM by tommy45 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 06:25:50 PM »

Im afraid Im going to have to back out and bow down on this one..  Ive today been advised by my ISP that my SVLAN (VP from my cab)  is running hot.. which is why Im seeing congestion no matter which pipe Im on  :'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 06:29:03 PM »

yep I seen that post, probably I have a bad svlan as well, and I guess when I hop I am going over different svlan's each time.  But who know's as they never commented for me.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 07:33:47 PM »

and I guess when I hop I am going over different svlan's each time

Im not too sure how that could happen.. as your SVLAN will be decided either from
(a) the type of service you are on (residential v business)
(b) Your line card on the DSLAM

They will be fixed just like the VPs used to be on the ATM backhaul.  You'd need a lift and shift to get put on a different VP.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 08:00:18 PM »

well my congestion seems dependent on hopping around, I seem to get it about 30% of the time.

Also I assume you mean VP at exchange not cab right? cab to exchange wont be congested,

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 10:48:04 PM »

cab to exchange wont be congested,

Do we know this for sure?   With Gb links between the cab and the aggregation node - How many 80/20 users will it take to max out that link. 13?  and how many are on the dslam? :(

But yes I did mean the backhaul when I was talking about the SVLAN.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 06:59:16 AM »

I would say its very unlikely, remember isp's contend much heavier, if user's were averaging that amount of usage then they would be hitting other bottlenecks first such as the exchange backhaul.  Plus most FTTC users are 40/10.  If there is a filled dslam, then there is probably more than a single gbit feeding it.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 08:42:23 PM »

Well further to  this topic, I was clobbered this morning by DLM due to bursts of errors, last night and the night before that, My TBBQM also showed around 2-3% packet loss But ping plotter  showed nothing on uk hops, but a very small amount to a address in the usa, which is strange,

I did some testing before i powered off the modem, Throughput wasn't affected in either direction, So IMO it wasn't having a detrimental impact on my connection

After around 1hr i this time chose to use the ECI modem and so far there as been no more low level packet loss , as for error rates ect i cant say ,I  have a feeling that the bursts of errors and packet loss where down to the HG612 modem or it's psu  but time will tell
http://pastebin.com/98jLN0Mh for error rates taken before and during the error burst

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 08:51:40 PM »

yeah ES/day way over threshold.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 02:40:43 PM »

It's been several days now since swapping modems, DLM has interleaved the connection and reduced the ds sync, by around 8mbit going by throughput speed, although the BTW IP profile hasn't changed still showing the 77.44 figure
And it ain't going to reboot the modem so that it does lower, as the result of that will be a lower level of throughput due to the PN shadow IP profile (that IMO isn't needed) well i don't need it anyways

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 02:58:10 PM »

The BTW profile is set on PPP connect not on modem sync, so you can reconnect PPP to try and update it if it bothers you.
Pages: [1] 2

anything