Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Windows 10 - Technical Preview Beta  (Read 34808 times)

Al1264

Re: Windows 10 - Technical Preview Beta
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2015, 01:22:51 PM »

I think free was if upgrading from 7 or 8 to 10 within a year.

7 or 8.1  ;)
Plusnet - FTTC - AVM Fritz!Box 7490

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2015, 08:03:19 PM »

That will be the last version Microsoft sends to us as an all in one download and install package and from then on windows 10 will just receive updates to current OS.

http://www.techspot.com/news/60616-microsoft-no-new-os-version-coming-after-windows.html
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 08:06:46 PM by NewtronStar »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2015, 06:30:48 PM »

Here is the answer to the greyed out updates.  Seems microsoft are indeed going to enforce updates unless you pay extra for it.

Windows 10 Pro: A desktop version of Windows 10 for mobile workers, tech enthusiasts and other power users. This version is one of at least two -- the other being Windows 10 Enterprise -- that will allow users to opt for Windows Update for Business. Windows Update for Business will allow admins to opt to not receive all feature and security updates from Microsoft immediately after they are available.

Windows 10 Home the updates will be enforced.

Source http://www.tweaktown.com/news/45123/microsoft-announces-six-different-versions-windows-10/index.html

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2015, 06:40:46 PM »

Windows 10 Home the updates will be enforced.
I don't quite see it that way, more that it gives SysAdmins in business much better control over how and when updates are delivered.
Lack of this in situations that really required it has been a long-standing complaint for earlier versions.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2015, 05:32:55 PM »

well more info here.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/05/04/announcing-windows-update-for-business/

good news is if you own win 7/8.1 pro or win7 ultimate you get win10 pro.

Debug

« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2015, 10:56:22 AM »

My 7 year old daughter has been on the technical preview for the last 3 months with very few issues.

She has a low-end AMD 64bit and it runs seamlessly.  She does spend a lot of time streaming from Netflix and surfing kids colouring and dress-up games, but I have to say she has taken to it very well.

We have had a couple of occasions where the OS has booted and hung up straight away, mouse moves but the soundcard made and audible click on every pixel the mouse scrolled over.  Quick reboot and it cleared.

We also had a major update last week which took some time to settle down.  Then again, Emily is impatient and probably rebooted the computer during the update a few times before calling for tech support ;) .  It didnt die though, resumed and completed its task without too much interaction.  Something M$ was never that good at in the past... scowls@Vista

Its pretty stable even in the preview builds, the interface is intuitive and it appears to have been built from Win7 and not the horrific touchscreen/metro builds of 8 & 8.1(which might as well have been labeled Win9).  Considering the spec of computer its running on, its really responsive too, even Aero desktop is running on the onboard video which i wasnt expecting.  Mem resources are much the same as Win7.

Overall, Im impressed and could run it daily if required.  Although besides a few minor additions and a visual workover, I still dont see a reason I would need to be running it.  Win7 is not without its faults but I hold it in the same regard as i did with XP.

I may even choose to support users on this OS when it rolls out, ive tried to avoid messing with the last 2 unless its about 'upgrading' to Win7  ;D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:58:47 AM by Debug »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2015, 11:23:11 AM »

I still am not a big fan of the UI of Windows 10.

It's probably because I'm so used to Windows 7 but Windows 10 just feels out of place and confusing with its UI. I just don't like it.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2015, 02:20:40 PM »

After the last update to 10122 my laptop seems to have lost the proper start menu, I have to press the three hamburger bars top left to get the start menu. Looking on the web I should have a proper start menu, so clearly a bug of some sorts. Otherwise I'm quite happy with W10 although I don't use it much.

Edit. Actually found the setting to change it back to how I like it, there seems to be two settings menus, both with a personalisation menu, but only one of them has the Start settings options - the settings app, rather than control panel.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 02:43:07 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

anything