Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Suggestions For A New Monitor.  (Read 16436 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Suggestions For A New Monitor.
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 03:27:03 PM »

My original 17" CRT was huge and not only took up most of the desktop it only gave me an actual screen size of 15.5"

Since changing to 19" LCDs it enables me to have 3 monitors (panoramic style) on the same desktop ( one setup is for a dual monitor setup of one PC and the third is for a second PC which in the past always had to be situated elsewhere because of lack of space, even though I have a large corner unit desk.
But the main benefit I find is being able to have them much further away from my face, thus saving eye strain due to the flicker that we can't actually see.

As for widescreen monitors, well unless you are watching widescreen movies or doing spread sheets, I don't really see any benefit in them, lets face it, most of the work we do especially for typing letters etc is on A4 size paper in portrait view.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 04:00:53 PM »

Years ago I used to have a monitor which could be rotated through 90 degrees, and a graphics driver which could be switched over to portrait mode. I used that mode quite a lot for DTP work and similar stuff.
  Eric

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 10:14:11 PM »

Hi all,

My current LCD does that roseway, I believe it is fairly common in the Dell ultrasharp range but doesn't require drivers.  Unfortunately the 24" of goodness did put quite a sizeable dent in my wallet at £500 :(

Mark

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 06:29:52 PM »

Just bought one of these - can't fault it at all (yet!) and for the price it's absolutely great.

Wanted to upgrade to something widescreen, but felt the text on a smaller monitor at the same resolution would be a bit small. So I opted to spend a little bit more on a 22" instead of say a 20" or so. This way I can sit back and have the monitor a good 3ft away from me, yet still read it perfectly without squinting! Much better ;D
Chris

scottiesmum

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 01:37:59 PM »

I've resurrected this topic instead of starting a new one as I am contemplating buying a bigger monitor.  I'm looking at 19" and I prefer a conventional rather than a  wide screen.   I've picked up on this from you Eric :-

If your PC graphics card supports it, get one with HDMI input (in fact get one of these anyway for future proofing) and buy an HDMI cable at the same time if you're getting it online (they cost a fortune in PC World).

..... can you explain that for me please  ?? ::)  AND also how I check if my graphics card will support HDMI.    I'm obviously going to buy one here, so links to some of the retail outlets won't be applicable, I'm looking at Amazon France who appear to have a good stock range, although I may end up going to my local lady !  Should I look for anything in particular  and/or avoid anything in particular?  maximum resolution etc ....?   Many thanks in advance of any response.  :)

PS.    I've discovered that HDMI  means High-Definition Multimedia Interface  !!!!  but what does that mean ??? ;D   

« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 02:11:14 PM by scottiesmum »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 02:48:15 PM »

I must have been having a senior moment when I wrote that, because what I should have said is "get one with a DVI interface". :-[
DVI is Digital Video Interface, and I think most modern monitors will include it as well as the regular VGA interface. It gives a sharper picture, and additionally the picture is always correctly centred and sized.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 03:05:20 PM »

I wondered Eric what you meant,my Dell 22" has both  DVI and VGA  connections.It came with both cables.I use The DVI because  as Eric says,it gives a sharper picture.What graphics card do you have installed Kate?Not sure if onboard graphics(built into motherboard instead of a seperate card) supports DVI.

scottiesmum

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 03:28:45 PM »

You're all talking 'man talk'  now aren't you ?  :-X :-X :-\ :'(    ....  I'm trying to find the answer  !!!  ::)

Don't worry any further folks   ..  now, by coincidence,  I'm going to see my computer  lady for lunch tomorrow .... Many thanks quand même ! 

« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 03:38:42 PM by scottiesmum »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 03:51:28 PM »

Looks like our manly advice isn't good enough, Phil. :'(
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 04:27:41 PM »

:lol: :lol:  You're not sulking are you Eric  ???       I thought I was saving you from a 'ground hog day'    ;D  THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSES !  :hug: :hug: :hug:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 04:33:57 PM »

You've upset them now, scottiesmum.  :no:

If you are not careful, you could be the first female inmate of the NC  :lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 04:42:07 PM »

No, it's all right tufty, Kate has redeemed herself. It was a near thing though. :crazy:
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2008, 05:20:33 PM »

A little fluttery does work  !!    :angel: :angel:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 05:22:48 PM by scottiesmum »

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 05:34:43 PM »

Kate there is another similar thread called 'monitor advice' in the other hardware section across the way at that place we don't mention.... which you might find interesting reading.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

scottiesmum

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 05:48:57 PM »

Thanks for that Floydy  ....    had a giggle as well  !!! ::)
Pages: 1 [2] 3