Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Suggestions For A New Monitor.  (Read 16440 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Suggestions For A New Monitor.
« on: January 31, 2008, 11:57:17 PM »

With one on my Monitors dieing on me tonight (Old CRT.Fujitsu 15"),  :(  do you have any suggestions to makes, type, price, shops/web etc. please.

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

soms

• Reg Member
Re: Suggestions For A New Monitor.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 12:17:09 AM »

A  good few months ago I bought an LG1718S LCD monitor. It was quite cheap of eBuyer I think (around £100 to max £125 at the time) and is analogue/D-sub input only but has proven very reliable with no dead pixels.

Its 17" screen size, high resolution (cant remember exactly what it is!), pretty slim, quite attractive, sharp picture and uses 230V input, so no messy power adaptor is required like with some monitors. Suffice to say I was very pleased with it. This was the second LG monitor we have bought and no let downs so far.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 12:19:51 AM by soms »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 12:21:05 AM »

Medion for me, although the original choice was because they were on special offer at Aldi's.

However, fortunately they came with a 3 year warranty, because all 3 of them had what I think was an inherent fault and had to be repaired after 18 months.

But collection and service is excellent from Medion.
http://www.medion.co.uk/

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 07:22:27 AM »

I would second LG for quality and value. If your PC graphics card supports it, get one with HDMI input (in fact get one of these anyway for future proofing) and buy an HDMI cable at the same time if you're getting it online (they cost a fortune in PC World).
  Eric

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 08:38:43 AM »

I'd recommend a long wander around PC World. See what you like then go home and buy it online somewhere else. IMHO there's no point in buying anything smaller than 19" as you'll actually be paying a premium for less :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 01:32:59 PM »

Thanks for your advice, I will have a look around this weekend before the sales end. ;)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 01:45:18 PM »

Have a look in www.pricerunner.com. You can narrow your spec down to exactly what you are looking for,screen size,response time etc.I have a 22" dell branded widescreen and find it excellent.Like rizla pointed out its not worth considering anything under 19".

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 05:37:22 AM »

I've just bought one of these - had it a week, and am most impressed with it. :)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131359

btw, if you choose super saver delivery then P&P is free ;)
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 05:48:32 AM »

Like rizla pointed out its not worth considering anything under 19".

I disagree.  My old monitor was a 17" CRT, which actually measured 16" from corner to corner.  The new one actually measures 17" from corner to corner.  I find that with anything bigger it is difficult to see the whole screen without moving my head around.  I dunno if I explained that very well, but I know what I mean.

You will find, as I did when changing from 15" to 17", the new monitor will seem 'too big' for a while until you get used to it.  I just feel that if you went to a 19" it would be too much.  Just my opinion.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 07:40:41 AM »

I guess it depends on your eyesight. The normal native resolution of a (non-widescreen) 19" LCD is the same as 17", i.e. 1280 x 1024, so everything is that much bigger. This suits my eyes, but I can see that it wouldn't suit everyone.

On the subject of widescreen, in places like PC World that's all you can buy now. They don't appear to stock conventional format monitors at all. For my type of computing, I nearly always find myself wanting more vertical space, not more horizontal space, so widescreen monitors are just an irritation. And in fact, a xx-inch widescreen monitor has less screen area than a xx-inch conventional format monitor. Am I just an unimportant minority, or are people being seduced by fashion?
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 08:04:05 AM »

I agree eric,I have a Dell branded 22" widescreen monitor and tbh you don,t need widescreen for every day computing.A lot of websites don,t fill the screen,so when I,m on the internet I have the window reduced about 2" either side.The reason I got the monitor is it was a free upgrade from 19"
Like you say the norm seems to be widescreen these days.My next monitor will definetly be non widescreen (If you will still be able to get them)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 09:16:39 AM »

The normal native resolution of a (non-widescreen) 19" LCD is the same as 17", i.e. 1280 x 1024, so everything is that much bigger.

What works best for me with the 17" LCD is a res of 1152x864 with windows large fonts.  On my old 1716" CRT 1024x768 with windows large fonts suited me best.  As you say it's a personal preference thing.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 12:10:32 PM »

I've just bought a new monitor as my CRT 17" had died too. (Piled too much post etc, on top of it and it overheated - silly me!). I got my replacement from Novatech, an own brand (I think) marked CY199D. It is not widescreen but they do a widescreen for the same money, £116. They do operate a free next day delivery which worked fine for me. Max resolution is 1280 x 1024 and it has DVI and VGA inputs. Mains input - no ext PSU.

The only slight problem I have had with it is when trying to boot into Debian, it initially says "signal out of limits" or somesuch positioned right across the username password box. Changing the Vert frequency to 75 Hz fixes the subsequent displays and the box goes away. Don't know whether other Linux distros do the same but it might upset Eric and, of course, your good self Tickmike.

Their URL is http://www.novatech.co.uk but I have no connection just so far a satisfied customer. Be aware though that they have only just started to accept Paypal and my purchase got a bit chaotic. It might be as well to use a card direct.

Tony

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 12:15:31 PM »

In my experience, most LCD monitors will work best, and probably display the clearest picture, if the refresh rate is set to 60Hz. Although they will work at a higher rate, ones I've seen often look blurred when you try to bump the refresh rate up.

There isn't the need to set the refresh rate as high as possible, like you had to with CRTs, because LCDs don't flicker like CRTs do.
Chris

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 01:58:18 PM »

Thanks for the tip Chris, I hadn't considered that. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3