Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ducts.  (Read 1679 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Ducts.
« on: September 25, 2014, 10:18:10 PM »

For FTTP the biggest cost is installing the ducting to the property, it's suddenly come to me that I have a continuous form of ducting all the way from my house to the exchange. ;D

When I built this house I was given the grey 2" dia ducting by BT for me to put in my service trench and they put a JBF  in the lane opposite my gate so the ducting goes into the JBF and my house.

Would the exchange have to show that it's supplies FTTP before I could order it ? as it only shows FTTC now.

If FTTP did come available would my fibre be run from my house to the FTTC cabinet to to some other DP ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Ducts.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 11:19:24 PM »

Would the exchange have to show that it's supplies FTTP before I could order it ?

Yes... because the exchange needs to have an OLT and Optical interface equipment to the backhaul.    Before FTTC/FTTP the exchange backhaul is also upgraded to cope with the higher bandwidth and must be 21CN. (Unless you piggyback from another exchange)

It also wouldnt be just one fibre optic cable from your house to the exchange ... there will be various splitter nodes.  So you'd need there to be a manifold/splitter node near your location which you can hook into.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Ducts.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 07:29:39 AM »

If memory serves, you suspect you're getting FTTC some time in the future ?? If that is the case, then you will be eligible for FTTP(oD) ............... basically, 'Fibre To The Premises On Demand'.

I've not personally heard or been involved in any of these schemes, but I believe the best way is to try and get a few neighbours on board to share the costs. The fibre cable would only be run from the FTTC Cab.