Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Router with decent WiFi Range for use with OR Modem (VDSL)  (Read 6673 times)

JamesK

• Reg Member
Re: Router with decent WiFi Range for use with OR Modem (VDSL)
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 02:00:14 PM »

I'd definitely recommend the Asus RT-AC68U loaded with the latest Merlin firmware. Great range throughout the house. I use manual channel selection, and the InSSIDer tool on my laptop to find the best channels to use as auto channel selection by the router doesn't always get it right. Some channels seem to have a better range than others, depending on your environment.

Mine is placed at one end of the middle floor of my 3 storey town house. I get a good signal in all areas. Ideally I'd place it more centrally, but that's just not possible for me at the moment.
Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 03:33:02 PM »

Just use a old WiFi router as an Access point in your living room .
I use some 4 x DG834's to cover the house and garden and another soon to be added. ;)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 05:43:55 PM »

I need to chime in here.

THE ac66 and ac68 asus routers (not the modem versions) do have a wan port.  So meaning if you collecting stats from the hg612 then you will have 3 not 2 ports left.

Also if you pair it with a billion 8800nl  which should work as well as the hg612 then you can collect stats over the wan cable (I posted guide on here) meaning you lose none of your LAN ports (I currently do this).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 05:46:14 PM by Chrysalis »
Pages: 1 [2]