Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Routers with download managers (vs DD-WRT)  (Read 5939 times)

Roxy

Routers with download managers (vs DD-WRT)
« on: September 18, 2014, 11:02:10 PM »

Other than RT-N66U, what are some good routers that come with a download manager software application? This would be used in conjunction with BT Infinity.
Or, are there any versions of DD-WRT firmware packages that have one?

If I can pick up a half-way decent router and apply some type of download application to it, then the N66U doesn't look as necessary any more.

EDIT: I've seen that the DSL-N66U also has the download manager and is supported by Merlin WRT, which may be an option for me unless anyone objects of the quality between the two routers?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 12:13:03 PM by Roxy »

HighBeta

• Reg Member
Re: Routers with download managers (vs DD-WRT)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 03:28:43 PM »

The  RT65168 chipset on the Asus  DSL-N66U  can be very mischievous on an eci cab.

Merlin is a great choice for the RT-N66U. User friendly even works on sky  as well.

Another option is Tomato {either toastman or shibby}
http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=31
http://tomatousb.org/

Roxy

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 05:56:28 PM »

Hey there,

So you feel the DSL version is suspect... is that when using it as an all in one VDSL modem, or also when using it as a stand alone with the ECI Open Reach?
As for cabinet, I am not so certain our cabinet is ECI.

I see what you mean about Tomato USB, and Optware packages - that sounds very interesting.

I'm just in one of those awkward positions where what I want to purchase is difficult to obtain, so looking at the millions of alternatives.
A Draytek 2750 or Zyxel VMG1312 would be nice, but I do not believe they are compatible with Tomato.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 09:18:38 PM »

I'm not personally familiar with the asus routers, but when looking myself at a combined option one of the things I did note was that the general consensus seemed to be that although the RT version of router alone seemed to be quite favoured, the DSL n66u didn't seem to fair quite so well with FTTC and especially dturing the early days there were several problems. Afaik these have now supposedly been resolved and I'm hoping that their newer vdsl router released a couple of weeks ago fairs better first time round.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall DrTeeth bought a dsl n66u and installed custom firmware.

I'm afraid I don't use or need a download manager in the router so it's not something I've looked into, which is why I didn't respond earlier, but I've just seen today's edit re the dsl version.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Roxy

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 10:55:16 PM »

I was mistaken, the DSL N66U is not able to run custom firmware, at least not Merlin WRT. I'll have to look for this DrTeeth.

Long list of Tomato compatible routers, but I think it has to be something modern, usb port, full gigabit, wan and so forth. Wireless is not a big deal to me, but that's how I tend to find the more popular ones because they all carry faster wireless now as their selling point.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 11:56:53 PM »

Sorry I think I may have been wrong and he has a RT N66U with Merlin. 

I haven't read the full thread,    http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/4347906-asus-routers-crippled-on-5ghz.html?fpart=all&vc=1

----
edited link...  Grrr damn crApple
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 12:00:16 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Roxy

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 12:12:58 AM »

Ok well, no need to apologize. I'm not really any closer to deciding what to do any ways. I've only come down this route because someone suggested to give up on spending a lot of money on a NAS box with decent network transfer speeds, and settle for a good router that has USB inputs.

But I question whether I need something of the N66U calibre. Surely there's cost effective WAN supporting routers that have USB and give at least 40mb/s direct to external USB storage devices, and if they are Tomato or similar chip set compatible, then I could probably get a download manager on them.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 02:39:49 AM »

This subject really isnt my forte, but I think the problem with a lot of the combined vdsl units is the 'dsl phy' which is why people end up opting for stand alone routers such as the RT-N66U.

Theres also very little choice of vdsl combined units anyhow. :(

dmcdonnell is probably the best person to ask on how things are going with his attempts with openwrt for the Zyxel VMG8324.

-----

Roxy

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 08:51:25 AM »

Hey there,

I agree, multi-purpose units are for the most part unfavoured and have a bit of a bad rep. Though remember I have an OR modem to hand, so stand alone router is ok with me.
It's really down to catching up with the market and finding out what's a good option these days for a standard router.

Maybe I should have worded the thread title slightly different!