Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Plusnet Protect (McAfee AV S/W) HG612 false detection as Trojan  (Read 2273 times)

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Plusnet Protect (McAfee AV S/W) HG612 false detection as Trojan
« on: September 23, 2014, 05:40:26 PM »

[Heads-up do not use Plusnet Protect & HG612 software]

I have recently changed my AV software to the s/w that is provided by Plusnet to fibre customers.
(McAfee AV suite licensed to Plusnet)

I have noticed that although HG612 appears to be running the stats have not been collected.

After some searching the HG612_Run.exe file was discovered to be missing.
I tried to add it back from the zip and the McAfee software immediately removed it as a Trojan.

This is the problem with McAfee from old, it does things which you cannot control and with little logging of detail.  >:( >:( >:(

I do not believe that HG612_Run.exe is a Trojan at all but cannot stop this.

McAfee is now being de-installed and I am going to try Comodo as I have dropped Avast as it appears to interfere with the gui of the Zyxel modem I use.

If all else fails I will put back Avast and live with the quirks.  :(

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Plusnet Protect (McAfee AV S/W) HG612 false detection as Trojan
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 06:01:35 PM »

I use AVG Free 2014.

I do have to either turn off Identity Protection or add my programs to the allowed/safe list though or they will be quarantened.

As I know exactly what the programs do, it's not a concern.

I think AVG falsely sees the efficient manner in which the programs access the modem's stats data as a 'potential' threat, which it clearly isn't.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 09:16:53 PM »

Just installed Comodo Firewall and AV (Free versions).

So far looks good.

Lots of information in realtime from Comodo (down to the level of protocol/port number/bytes transfered etc) [Nice and techie, just what i like  ;D]

The big plus is that the Zyxel gui display issues are gone and the speed of display of the pages appear to be quicker than ever, this applies to other routers that I use as AP's which were also a bit slow to refresh the displays or had stutters.

I have also performed a stealth test from www.grc.com (Shields UP!!) and got 100% stealth on 1st 1056 ports as I had previously with SKY but which you do not get with Plusnet.
[Closed ports give your address away where 100% stealthed ports are the same as not there at all to an outside query !!]

Comodo is worth a look if you are looking for more control and information on what is going on on your PC.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 08:43:46 PM »

Update:

Unfortunately, I found that Comodo Firewall and/or AV was not happy with HG612stats.
It caused it to run in a strange way where more and more copies of 'HG612_stats.exe' were being run.
Memory was filling up until the PC hung/crashed.

My stats have been going up and down since 03:00am as I investigated the 'Hanging/Crashing' problem.  :(

I cannot understand why but as it runs OK when Comodo is not there I am NOT chasing this as a problem.

I have also now found the error with Avast was caused by a 'missed' configuration page.
Avast optionally scans scripts on all webpages, there is an option to exclude certain addresses which I have never used before.
When I exclude the addresses of the Zyxel router and other routers/AP's I use the GUI problems go away.

Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa .... My Bad  :( :( :( !!!

Avast is now being reinstalled as it works as I need with minimal impact on using the PC.

Conclusion: Avast does NOT cause problems as originally thought if configured correctly. :-[ ::)

anything