Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Crossflash TP-Link TD-W8980 to TD-W9980  (Read 112060 times)

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
Re: Crossflash TP-Link TD-W8980 to TD-W9980
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2015, 02:36:31 AM »

Crossflashing via TTL uboot images i have used for TD-W9980 was of the 0x02 byte set without issues. as TD-W9980 images are RSA Signed, however OpenWRT images are not RSA signed so there for you might need to use the 0x03 byte setup.

Also have you reversed the TX and RX on either in so that like

RX -> TX
TX -> RX

That might help

However i am heading for some shuteye.

Mooingall

« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2015, 02:52:09 AM »

Quote from: mangueboy
have you seen  anyone that  sucess flashed one TD-w8980 with uboot first byte 0x03? I have one old firmware that uboot first byte is 0x02, but i cant downgrade to that.

Hi you are skipping too far ahead.

Unless you can make the device display its console output (booting messages/spam) then worrying about flashing is of no use.

You should be able to connect your serial cable to the device while it is powered on and see lots of readable English text instantly. You should also be able to interact with the device via your keyboard, press any key and it will ask you for a username and password. Once you finally see any kind of English you can reboot the device to enter uboot.

At this stage you do not need to worry about uboot or flashing. We are just trying to use your computer like a monitor.

My only guess is maybe you have the pins in the wrong order.

mangueboy

« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2015, 02:32:30 PM »

Quote from: mangueboy
have you seen  anyone that  sucess flashed one TD-w8980 with uboot first byte 0x03? I have one old firmware that uboot first byte is 0x02, but i cant downgrade to that.

Hi you are skipping too far ahead.

Unless you can make the device display its console output (booting messages/spam) then worrying about flashing is of no use.

You should be able to connect your serial cable to the device while it is powered on and see lots of readable English text instantly. You should also be able to interact with the device via your keyboard, press any key and it will ask you for a username and password. Once you finally see any kind of English you can reboot the device to enter uboot.

At this stage you do not need to worry about uboot or flashing. We are just trying to use your computer like a monitor.

My only guess is maybe you have the pins in the wrong order.

I'm shure that connection is ok: RX to TX and  TX to RX, but i try to invert and no go(green and blue led of ttd adapter dont flash anymore).

I really dont understand why my green led became flashing  when i turn on device (I infer that the router is sending data to the ttl adapter), but putty console not show anything.  I have no doubt that Putty connect with ttl adapter is ok too, because blue led flash when press any key in putty windows.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 02:40:16 PM by mangueboy »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2015, 03:12:08 PM »

Glad it worked out for you bud. If i have time i might just make a video on how to do it using computer might be helpful like.

Enjoy bud!

If you ever do.   Let me know and I'll link to it from the first post.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2015, 03:16:32 PM »

Glad it worked out for you bud. If i have time i might just make a video on how to do it using computer might be helpful like.

Enjoy bud!

Well i will more then likely need to place it on a External Drive and post it to someone with a faster upload LOL, last video i uploaded took 3 days which left the internet crippled for surfing for them 3 days.

I will also need to ask nicely for someone Video camera (aka one of my family members) i don't think a mobile phone able to do 1080p with super shakey jakey at the helm will work but will see what i can do as the over stuff on Computer can be screen capped with either Nvidia's shadowplay or a screen Recorder.

bigtimecube

« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2015, 03:17:35 PM »

Enjoy bud!

Well i will more then likely need to place it on a External Drive and post it to someone with a faster upload LOL, last video i uploaded took 3 days which left the internet crippled for surfing for them 3 days.

I will also need to ask nicely for someone Video camera (aka one of my family members) i don't think a mobile phone able to do 1080p with super shakey jakey at the helm will work but will see what i can do as the over stuff on Computer can be screen capped with either Nvidia's shadowplay or a screen Recorder.
More than happy to help out here

The pdf file is very good and clear to be honest. And sort of went ok for me, My two Mistakes were leaving out the RJ45 cable And Once all is done,you need to Update with the latest firmware off the Tp link site
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 03:29:52 PM by bigtimecube »

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2015, 03:26:44 PM »

I will be able to do the Screen Caps next wensday as i am going to be flashing the W8980 back to W9980 again so that will be the best time to do that. Then its just the where to solder the pins too and the what is required parts.

So best suggestion for you all here is to buy stock in Coffee beans quickly as i will be using a lot to insure i don't blabber on  :lol:

If the Video after Rendering is lower then 2GB i will try and upload it myself if however its greater then that then its beg for an uploader to do so on my Behalf. Does Kitz site have a Dedicated youtube channel it might be best as some people perfer Video then Text tutorials just a thought, it also could be another avenue for revenue.

Mooingall

« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2015, 07:12:15 PM »

I'm shure that connection is ok: RX to TX and  TX to RX, but i try to invert and no go(green and blue led of ttd adapter dont flash anymore).

I really dont understand why my green led became flashing  when i turn on device (I infer that the router is sending data to the ttl adapter), but putty console not show anything.  I have no doubt that Putty connect with ttl adapter is ok too, because blue led flash when press any key in putty windows.

What you say makes sense.

Is your "speed"/baud setting ok within putty?

That's me out of ideas  :no:

mangueboy

« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2015, 08:03:51 PM »

What you say makes sense.

Is your "speed"/baud setting ok within putty?

That's me out of ideas  :no:

My  setup is 115200 and 8N1. I really dont known what is wrong.

bigtimecube

« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2015, 08:17:38 PM »

And is the Com port in putty the same as in Device manager and drivers working ok for the TTL USB cable
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 08:19:47 PM by bigtimecube »

Mooingall

« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2015, 11:08:02 PM »

I guess it must be using the correct com port if the LED on his cable is reacting to key presses in putty.

Mangueboy do you maybe have any other devices you could test the cable on? A Raspberry Pi maybe? Any other old junk routers/modems?

mangueboy

« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2015, 12:59:09 AM »

I guess it must be using the correct com port if the LED on his cable is reacting to key presses in putty.

Mangueboy do you maybe have any other devices you could test the cable on? A Raspberry Pi maybe? Any other old junk routers/modems?

Unfortunately no.  I do a loop test in ttl adapter:   RX(ttl adapter) to LX (ttl adapter), then putty return ok all  pressed keys.  I think that  new u-boot version (rsa signed) with first 0x03 have other unknown procedure to be initialized :(.  In OPenWRT Wiki home page http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/td-w8980 have this  warns " DO NOT upgrade to the 12.10.2013 (or newer) firmware on TP-Link website. It has modified u-boot, and applies a NEW UNKNOWN header - first byte is 0x03. We don't know how is it working. It seems to be a rsa signed firmware upgrade..   
You can see below my video with my putty setup e ttl adapter behavior when trying initialize uboot.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbzTaPcAlTA&feature=youtu.be

Mooingall

« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2015, 02:49:13 AM »

Several of us here flashed from 2014+ firmware. My uboot claims to be U-Boot 2010.06-LANTIQ-v-2.0.40-svn7369 (Jun 16 2014 - 11:12:49)

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2015, 09:30:42 AM »

If your going from tp liink w8980 to w9980, you don't need to worry at all about the RSA headers you simply use a pre-cut image with out the uboot section, then after that upgrade to latest firmware via web gui. If your going to flash openwrt then you worry about RSA headers and simply downgrade each firmware till you get to the first firmware release.

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Tapatalk

mangueboy

« Reply #119 on: June 27, 2015, 02:54:32 PM »

Several of us here flashed from 2014+ firmware. My uboot claims to be U-Boot 2010.06-LANTIQ-v-2.0.40-svn7369 (Jun 16 2014 - 11:12:49)

I buy my td - w8980 here in Brazil in 05/28/2015.  Can you tell me if  you device was unboxed with uboot version first with byte is 0x03?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13