Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Losing my mind with this HG612 3B  (Read 2439 times)

randomlyalex

• Just arrived
Losing my mind with this HG612 3B
« on: May 08, 2020, 05:21:50 PM »

I have modest requirements, but I think I have a dud HG612.  Lights are on but no one is home, can't get it to repond.  Currently on Sky Fibre.

Backstory is, i've been using a HomeHub 5A with OpenWRT for sometime now, since I a flat move forced a different ISP - Sky Fibre.  The HomeHub5A was a stopgap, as I previously used pfSense and an archer C7 as an AP.

I've decided to spin up my pfsense so I can get my vpn and vlans all running again.  However I just seem to be hitting my head against a wall.

I was hoping to put the HH5A into a bridge mode of some sort, but honestly that's been trouble itself, so parking that idea I bought a HG612 3B from mymemory because it was cheap, and whilst certainly not top spec hardware, I thought it would allow a bridge/modem only mode almost out the box into pfSense.

Well that arrived, and it just doesn't seem to work at all, what am I missing?

I have plugged my laptop direct into LAN2, I have powered it on and held reset, (all kinds of ways) and the modem never seems to reset or act like its resetting, yet all lights flash normal tx/rx etc and play the part.

I can't connect to it over 192.168.1.1 (with my ip as 192.168.1.100) and when its plugged into pfSense, with dhcp pppoe option 61 details are entered, pfsense gets no response back I can see.

What am I missing?  Am i just sending this back to mymemory?

This has been dragging on for ages now as i've picked it up and had other things to do etc... 

Looking at a VMG8924-B10A next, or are there any other recomendations?  I just need need a good solid connection, and something that my pfsense box can connect using, which i'm fairly certain is all setup fine - since i've already done this with my OpenWRT HH5A.  Stats and the rest aren't really high on my list, but would be a nice to have etc...

Help!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Losing my mind with this HG612 3B
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 06:02:03 PM »

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

Try the following --
  • Disconnect all cables connected to the HG612.
  • Put the HG612 on the floor, on its top edge, and support it with your feet.
  • Depress and hold the reset button.
  • With your other hand, plug the power supply into the HG612.
  • Wait 30 seconds, keeping the reset button depressed.
  • After 30 seconds have elapsed, release the reset button.
  • Leave the HG612 alone for at least one minute.
  • Connect the LAN2 port to a computer whose NIC has been assigned a static IPv4 address in the 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 range.
  • Open a web-browser and enter the 192.168.1.1 IPv4 address into the browser's address bar.
If the "Update Software" page is not displayed then your HG612 is faulty.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 11:36:19 PM »

Incidentally, putting the HH5A into bridge mode is REALLY easy.  I actually replaced my HG612 with the HH5A a while back as its faster on my line.

This is my single-cable setup, it bridges the VDSL to the WAN port and also sends the LAN down the WAN port VLAN tagged which can be put into the LAN bridge on pfSense.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 11:59:23 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

randomlyalex

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 01:41:57 AM »

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

Try the following --
  • Disconnect all cables connected to the HG612.
  • Put the HG612 on the floor, on its top edge, and support it with your feet.
  • Depress and hold the reset button.
  • With your other hand, plug the power supply into the HG612.
  • Wait 30 seconds, keeping the reset button depressed.
  • After 30 seconds have elapsed, release the reset button.
  • Leave the HG612 alone for at least one minute.
  • Connect the LAN2 port to a computer whose NIC has been assigned a static IPv4 address in the 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 range.
  • Open a web-browser and enter the 192.168.1.1 IPv4 address into the browser's address bar.
If the "Update Software" page is not displayed then your HG612 is faulty.

Hey!  Thanks for the welcome!  Yeah i've definitely tried all that, i was even fairly unsure about the feel of the button and removed the case to make sure it was being pressed.

I've sent a message to mymemory, hopefully they sort it out.

randomlyalex

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 01:46:21 AM »

Incidentally, putting the HH5A into bridge mode is REALLY easy.  I actually replaced my HG612 with the HH5A a while back as its faster on my line.

This is my single-cable setup, it bridges the VDSL to the WAN port and also sends the LAN down the WAN port VLAN tagged which can be put into the LAN bridge on pfSense.

[img]https://csdprojects.co.uk/forums/HH5A_OpenWRT_VDSL_Bridge.png
[img]https://csdprojects.co.uk/forums/HH5A_OpenWRT_VDSL_Bridge_pfSense.png

Hey! 

It's really interesting you say this, because i've being going around in circles trying to get it doing what I wanted, and was worried about double NATing too.

I guess I'll have a second look, i'm not sure if it was something to do with sky and option 61 or something.  This is all alien to me since i was mostly happy with a virgin connection for years, and I can't get it here in my new place, so have been making do with what I had, and slowly working out how I get my stuff all running again...

Hows the thouroughput on the HH5? Because I was finding as a wireless AP *and* modem it struggles tbh, and thats why I was looking to split it up too.

I was going to put the HH5 into dumb AP mode, fed from the pfsense box, and have, separation of duties hopefully giving it a fighting chance until I give in and buy something more suited :D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 02:11:57 AM by randomlyalex »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 02:29:40 AM »

I think you're right, option 61 is the curve ball here and Google suggests its been a problem for other people trying it. https://forum.netgate.com/topic/44242/sky-fibre-to-the-cabinet-rollout-pfsense-support/35  At least you don't need to know your specific username and password these days as Sky made it generic, it just had to follow their format.

I would also agree the HH5 is not a great AP, it works, but it doesn't get close to full 802.11ac speeds and the range doesn't seem that good either.  (although obviously that depends on your own house)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 02:32:07 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

mrbluepig

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 02:27:29 AM »

Did you find the correct place to input option 61 on pfsense?

It one of the options under DHCP client configuration, just type anything random in the Hostname this looks a bit old but you can see the Hostname field on here https://subscription.packtpub.com/book/networking_and_servers/9781849514866/1/ch01lvl1sec11/configuring-the-wan-interface

I used to use my pfsense box with the HG612 until recently, as I want to go back to something a bit more compact.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 10:29:26 AM »

Its frustrating that this was discussed before but no explanation of if it ever worked was provided.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 01:43:34 PM »

Its frustrating that this was discussed before but no explanation of if it ever worked was provided.

General Configuration
IPv4 Configuration Type: DHCP

DHCP Client Configuration
Options: Advanced Configuration - Tick this

Lease Requirements and Requests
Send options: dhcp-client-identifier "anything@skydsl|password" ,dhcp-class-indentifier "7.16a4N_UNI|PCBAFAST2504Nv1.0" - that is what is showing in the backup that I have, under that option. Probably have to put quotation marks where it says &quot. Anything can be used for the username and password.

Edit: Post #280 of this thread http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/ipv6/58986-sky-ipv6-settings-non-sky-routers-28.html#post466599 gives the full config to get pfsense working with Sky
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 01:46:54 PM by Jon21 »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 05:08:50 PM »

Thanks, I'll probably never need it myself but I think its important we keep the information on the forum rather than relying on external links that may disappear in the future.  Not had a lot of sleep so was struggling to dig through the sky user thread.

randomlyalex

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 10:25:25 PM »

Did you find the correct place to input option 61 on pfsense?

It one of the options under DHCP client configuration, just type anything random in the Hostname this looks a bit old but you can see the Hostname field on here https://subscription.packtpub.com/book/networking_and_servers/9781849514866/1/ch01lvl1sec11/configuring-the-wan-interface

I used to use my pfsense box with the HG612 until recently, as I want to go back to something a bit more compact.

Genuinely think its me, or terrible luck.

Because I have two modems now and am "struggling" with the basics lol.

I have a laptop set aside, wifi off, manually set its ip to 192.168.1.100 and I can't even connect to the HG612's login page. Nor can I login to a factory reset vmg8324 (i can connect mind!).  So this was originally about pfsense, but i've started another thread.  Because I don't think its my pfsense settings if i'm honest.  But I can't have to dud modems either?  I'm going mad with this....

anything