Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Correct bridge settings for Zyxel and Sky, VLAN ID  (Read 1465 times)

mrbluepig

Correct bridge settings for Zyxel and Sky, VLAN ID
« on: June 01, 2020, 11:09:59 PM »

I'm finally getting a Zyxel to replace my HG612, as I'm hoping for a bit more speed on my moderate length line (24/25 mbits currently)

I'm going to use the Zyxel in bridge mode, but wasn't sure if I need to enter a VLAN ID (802.1q) such as 101?

I'm going to be using it with Sky fibre. Currently I have a Asus AC68U connected to a HG612 and use option 61, I don't have VLAN IDs set anywhere but maybe they are default as 101 on the HG612?

I found this guide on bridge mode on Zyxel here.
https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/en-us/articles/360001482220-Setting-the-VMG-as-Modem-Bridge-Mode-

Any insight on people using this in bridge mode and with Sky fibre would be appreciated, thanks!

hushcoden

• Reg Member
Re: Correct bridge settings for Zyxel and Sky, VLAN ID
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 12:47:23 AM »

I'm going to use the Zyxel in bridge mode, but wasn't sure if I need to enter a VLAN ID (802.1q) such as 101?
Yes, VLAN ID 101 for Sky in the modem (Zyxel)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 01:17:01 AM »

I'm going to be using it with Sky fibre. Currently I have a Asus AC68U connected to a HG612 and use option 61, I don't have VLAN IDs set anywhere but maybe they are default as 101 on the HG612?

There are actually two VLANs configured in the HG612, by default. The HG612 is the end-point for both VLANs, they do not extend over the Ethernet link to the user's equipment. They are tagged 101 and 301, respectively, with the 101 VLAN carrying the service data whilst the 301 VLAN was used for service performance monitoring, administration and firmware upgrading processes. (The infamous BTAgent made use of that VLAN tagged 301.)

When configuring the ZyXEL device, just ensure that you define a VLAN tagged 101 and all will be well.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mrbluepig

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 02:17:33 AM »

Thank you both so much for the information and prompt reply on the correct VLAN ID settings.

I'm looking forward to the Zyxel, hopefully it is a step up from my HG612 which is getting a bit long in the tooth, but still stable as a rock.

Do you know why the Zyxel guide suggests disabling the firewall? I thought the bridged mode would have bypassed all of that.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 10:32:58 AM »

Do you know why the Zyxel guide suggests disabling the firewall? I thought the bridged mode would have bypassed all of that.

Probably just to be absolutely sure nothing is lingering in the background mangling the data.

I didn't do that step though and it seems to work fine as like you said, no firewall rule should apply on the bridge anyway.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything