Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Thinking of replacing cable from BT80 RF3 to NTE5  (Read 16776 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Thinking of replacing cable from BT80 RF3 to NTE5
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2014, 06:22:54 PM »

Not to sure now when looking at Cat5e specs it was designed to support Gigabit ethernet transfer speeds of 1000,000 kbps which is a heck of a lot more when your modem HG612 on a 80/20 service only sends and receives 80,000 kbps DS and 20,000 US.

heres a cut & paste

Category 5 vs. 5e

To support Gigabit Ethernet, a higher performance version of cat 5, enhanced cat 5 or cat 5e has been added to the standards. Cat 5e adds new performance requirements to permit higher speed network operation.

The category 5e specification improves upon the category 5 specification by tightening some crosstalk specifications and introducing new crosstalk specifications that were not present in the original category 5 specification. The bandwidth of category 5 and 5e is the same – 100 MHz.

The differences between category 5 and category 5e are in their transmission performance. Category 5e components are most suitable for a high-speed Gigabit Ethernet. While category 5 components may function to some degree in a Gigabit Ethernet, they perform below standard during high-data transfer scenarios.

Surley the CW1308 cable would be able to handle a 40/10 service without any bottlenecking at 17 Mhz
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 06:28:20 PM by NewtronStar »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2014, 09:05:12 PM »

Just and update replaced old cable from BT80 to NTE5 with CW1308 2 pair this weekend, and on closer inspection the old cable it was 4 pair with stranded cores which were tin or aluminium the hard part was feeding the CW1308 cable though the wooden door frame as the original drilled hole when feeding the cable through seemed to be going elsewhere but with a bit of patience I could see the front end of cable emerging from the door frame.

From there it was easy to cut the cable to correct length and terminate A & B wires from BT80 to NTE5.  :) 

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 09:16:29 PM »

. . . the old cable it was 4 pair with stranded cores which were tin or aluminium . . .

It reads as if you had very peculiar type of cable in your circuit.

Just a sudden thought -- Did that length of old cable contain 4 pairs (8 wires) or 2 pairs (4 wires)?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 09:36:37 PM »

. . . the old cable it was 4 pair with stranded cores which were tin or aluminium . . .

It reads as if you had very peculiar type of cable in your circuit.

Just a sudden thought -- Did that length of old cable contain 4 pairs (8 wires) or 2 pairs (4 wires)?

8 wires so to me thats 4 pairs * 2 = 8 cores or wires which are stranded not solid cores if that makes sence

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2014, 09:53:13 PM »

Yes, that makes sense.  :) 

I suppose that was the only cable the installer had available for use . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2014, 10:05:10 PM »

Yes, that makes sense.  :) 

I suppose that was the only cable the installer had available for use . . .

Yes the installer at the time had no knowledge of broadband because at the time of installation there was no such thing as broadband in 1983 its amazing how telecommunication has moved on since the analog days  ;D

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2014, 09:08:39 PM »

That's what I thought the special broadband cable is just CW1308 it was the improved shielding from interference that caught my eye, as any woven copper shield around the pairs will have a negative impact on your broadband signal unless both ends of the shield are earthed.
[/quote]

One end earthed ! sheided calbes are earthed one end, eathing the other end can defeat some of the shielding, sounds counter intuative. I Didi used to have shielded cable on my Van, ali' foil around the pairs with a tinned uninsulated copper wire around that. To fit just wind the outer wire around some excess foil and ground that end. leaving the other just cut, but again just wind that outer wire 4-5 times around the foil. Lose winds, more of a pig tail/spiral
Pages: 1 2 [3]