Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Thinking of replacing cable from BT80 RF3 to NTE5  (Read 16812 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Thinking of replacing cable from BT80 RF3 to NTE5
« on: September 17, 2014, 11:43:51 PM »

This cable is three meters long from BT80 RF3 (used to be master socket) to new NTE5 master socket (used to be the extension socket) the cable has 2 pairs it's say 1985 telephoney internal cable does not look like twisted cable when I strip away the white rubber insulation to expose the four wires, each core of the wire is think unlike CAT5 which is thin.

It was just one of those DIY jobs put inplace before we had BroadBand, the white cable is 4-5mm thick the OR engineer was happy with it during the FTTC install, As I only need a single pair could anyone suggest a suitable cable to replace this old one. 

Topic title amended by admin.. only because I was being pedantic
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 04:56:52 PM by kitz »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Thinging of replacing cable from BT80 RF3 to NTE5
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 02:00:16 AM »

Just type the magic incantation (CW1308 cable) in the eBay search box and see what is produced . . . An example.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Thinging of replacing cable from BT80 RF3 to NTE5
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 04:35:09 PM »

Just type the magic incantation (CW1308 cable) in the eBay search box and see what is produced . . . An example.

That'll do nicely b*cat

neilius

• Reg Member
Re: Thinking of replacing cable from BT80 RF3 to NTE5
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 06:50:22 PM »

Try and make sure it's not CCA (copper clad aluminium) - look for solid coper core CW1308. The very newest stuff uses the old solid colour codes, strangely, rather than the colour/white striped pairs.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 08:16:01 PM »

The very newest stuff uses the old solid colour codes, strangely, rather than the colour/white striped pairs.

Thanks have placed the order so I will look to see if the insulation colour are solid or striped

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 07:17:07 PM »

I am going to replace the old thin Data extension cable 2 pairs this weekend with 10 meters of CW1308A 2 pairs twisted as the openreach engineer just used the original 10 year old cable.

When reading the BT Web site for Data Extension Kit it says ->

However, this home phone wiring is not designed to carry the kind of speeds BT Infinity can offer, as it does not protect the broadband signal well enough from interference from things like electrical appliances, telephones and microwave ovens.

This is why you may need a Data Extension Kit, which is a special broadband cable used to connect your BT Home Hub to your master phone socket. It provides much improved shielding from interference, helping you get the fastest broadband speed possible for your line.

What is this special broadband cable that BT/OR use ?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 08:55:11 PM »

What is this special broadband cable that BT/OR use ?

I'd be willing to bet it's Cat 5 or 5e.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 09:01:16 PM »

Simple answer: Nothing!

That quotation is predominately hog-wash, probably written by some contracted advertisement minion.  :-X

When Openreach install a data extension for a VDSL2 (FTTC) service, Cat5e specification cable is used.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 09:04:01 PM »

Here you are

https://claritybroadband.co.uk/clxcart/BT-Openreach-Line-Engineer-s-xDSL-Extension-Kit.html

I have one, its genuine, and its nice round white solid copper CW1308 cable and not cat5.  I believe that CW1308 is best for vdsl extentions as it match the rest of the cable to the cab.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 09:10:10 PM »

Here you are

https://claritybroadband.co.uk/clxcart/BT-Openreach-Line-Engineer-s-xDSL-Extension-Kit.html

I have one, its genuine, and its nice round white solid copper CW1308 cable and not cat5.  I believe that CW1308 is best for vdsl extentions as it match the rest of the cable to the cab.

From that link (my emboldening)...
Genuine BT Openreach Engineer's ADSL/VDSL extension kit using 10m, 20m or 30m of high quality Category 5e grade twisted-pair cable
:-\

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 09:11:48 PM »

Here you are

if it matches the cable to the cab where is the ali version? :)

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 09:19:49 PM »

Hmm it does say that  :-[  I did not notice  --- but from what was sent it has two pairs and the twist you would expect on CW1308. I may be wrong judging it from appreance.  Either way it produces RJ11 leads that work very well best for me   It came in BT Openreach packing.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 09:23:15 PM »

Les, can you confirm it actually says 'CW1308' on the side of the cable, and not 'Cat 5e'?

Bear in mind that whilst Cat 5 commonly has 4 pairs, the actually spec doesn't dictate it has to be 4.  If BT have found an economically viable supply of slim 2 pair Cat 5e, they'd be perfectly entitled to use it, and to still call it '5e.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 09:28:05 PM »

Simple answer: Nothing!

That quotation is predominately hog-wash, probably written by some contracted advertisement minion.  :-X

When Openreach install a data extension for a VDSL2 (FTTC) service, Cat5e specification cable is used.

That's what I thought the special broadband cable is just CW1308 it was the improved shielding from interference that caught my eye, as any woven copper shield around the pairs will have a negative impact on your broadband signal unless both ends of the shield are earthed.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 09:33:49 PM »

Worth clarifying perhaps that neither  Cat 5 nor 5e are normally shielded or screened.

Screened/shielded versions are available however and I agree that these versions would not be best for this application.

Les's link mentions a cable diameter of 4mm, which I suspect rules out the possibility of screened or shielded.   Moreover, I feel sure, Les would have mentioned if it was.   
Pages: [1] 2 3