Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Erorr 651  (Read 1635 times)

harry

• Just arrived
Erorr 651
« on: September 18, 2014, 08:06:16 PM »

Hi,
I realise that it has been some time since I last posted, but I have been lurking, honest!

My reason for this post is that I am suffering from the dreaded Error 651, and as a computer illiterate, can find no way of rectifying the error.
This all came about when my old AOL supplied router gave  up the ghost, and AOL sent me a new one.
Whilst waiting for the replacement, I fitted my old Netgear router and could join the internet via wifi.( but not through LAN).
When the new router arrived I fitted it as per instructions, but could not get on the internet due to Error651.
Is there any simple way to get rd of this monster without messing about with the registry? 
I am loath to go into complicated repairs , as I have the feeling that my old Netgear router is hanging on by the skin of its teeth!

Hoping this post is in the correct forum, if not could one of you clever chaps please rectify.

Thanks in advance.

Harry.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Erorr 651
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 09:31:02 PM »

Hi Harry

Erorr 651 is a modem error and since you are using an adsl router over LAN, you shouldnt see this type of error... which leaves me to believe that you may have an old incorrect setting somewhere.  A few things to try for starters

-   You shouldnt need any software either to connect, so first off make sure there is no old AOL software installed from eons ago.  If so uninstall.

-  double check that you dont still have any (56k type) modem devices installed - if so disable them from CP -> Device Manager -> Modem Devices

- Whilst in there... make sure that Network adapters isnt disabled and that your Network adapter shows up.  Also make sure any drivers are up to date.

-  Make sure youre not auto trying to dial up.  From IE -> Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> You shouldnt have anything in here.. but if so tick "Never dial an Internet Connection".

-  From CP -> Network and Sharing Center:-
     It should look something like my image.
     On the left hand side click "Change adapter settings".    Do you have anything in there?  It should show your Network Adapter

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Erorr 651
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 10:25:12 PM »

And while your testing the netgear router you can uninstall any AOL Blotware software in add/remove programs or programs & features you don't need them !

Just set up the modem manually you don't need to insert AOL's CD into the bay