Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: A nice surprise  (Read 12048 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: A nice surprise
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 12:27:54 AM »

There is another possible way . . .

As Black Sheep mentioned above, it is your environment and ultimately your decision. So, assuming a proper Openreach technician attends to the installation, just show her/him the current lack of space and ask that she/he leaves a SSFP with you . . . a SSFP that you will fit in your own time. Mention the RF3 PCB inside the NTE5/A casing . . . and don't forget to offer the coffee/tea & chocolate biscuits/bacon sandwich. If a subcontractor attends (Kelly Communications or M J Quinn), just ask for the SSFP & modem and send him off to perform a botched job somewhere else!  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 07:15:32 AM »

To clarify ........... if you have a 'Managed Install' with the 'Home Wiring Solutions' module, you can have the NTE fitted in your tree-house if you so want. I keep saying, it's your house, you (or your ISP by way of an enticement) will have paid for the wiring module to be available to the engineer should the EU request the NTE be shifted, etc .....

The aspects to the HWS module are :-

NTE5 moved
NTE5 and Extension socket swopped around
Data-extension supplied
HWS not installed

So, when we close our task we have to satisfy one of the criteria above. Obviously, some may try and ride rough-shod over the EU and say it's going where they say its going. Sometimes, the EU will need guidance as to what's best for their set-up. Either way, you have the say on a 'MI' task.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 09:49:52 AM »

OK, I think I have plans (a), (b) and (c) in store, depending on whether I manage to move that cupboard, and whether the van says 'Openreach' on the side.  Now ordered!

That's terrific news 7LM. But I think I'm going to win the race by a nose. ;D

Am I right you are pitching for 25th?  Darn, I could (provisionally) have matched that with a morning appointment same day.  But I've a commitment to pick somebody up at airport around midday, so it'll have to be 26th.  You win, but only just, and only because I am being so generous to my visitors.    :D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 10:15:12 AM »

The earliest date I was offered was the 24th, but I'm occupied that day, otherwise I could have beaten you easily. 8)
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 11:17:15 AM »

The earliest date I was offered was the 24th, but I'm occupied that day, otherwise I could have beaten you easily. 8)

And deservedly so. ;)

I'm still astonished it was even close, at the time you started your thread I was still being led to believe I had not a chance, ever, of getting FTTC. I think I have found out what it feels like to be the unknown outsider horse that comes galloping through the pack just at the finish line for an unexpected photo-finish.   :D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 11:54:03 AM »

In a real race I'd be the one lumbering in at the end after everyone else has packed up and gone home. ;D
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 09:18:17 PM »

minor update, I have managed to move that darned cupboard.   There is now just under 4" clearance, measured from plaster surface, hopefully that will cover all eventualities.   :fingers:

. . . and don't forget to offer the coffee/tea & chocolate biscuits/bacon sandwich.

Meant to add... streak Bacon OK?  I always think it's better as it goes nice & crispy?

More depressingly, I transferred from Demon (now owned by Vodafone) to Zen in anticipation of FTTC.   I did so because  of terrible past experiences with Demon/Vodafone's  Indian call centres and - the last straw - they didn't actually offer an FTTC product.   The MAC came quickly and the migration went smoothly, and I was assured my account would be terminated.  But today I got an invoice for another year's service to September 2015.   I'm sure it will all be resolved, but I suspect it will also be stressful.   And what a shame Vodafone should want to leave such a bad aftertaste after an already appalling service.   :(
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 09:22:38 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 09:21:52 PM »

Glad you managed to move the cupboard without major incident. :)

Shame about vodafone, but hopefully it will be a much calmer experience with a touch of Zen :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 09:30:09 PM »

[quote auth :blush:or=kitz link=topic=14438.msg270095#msg270095 date=1411158112]

Shame about vodafone, but hopefully it will be a much calmer experience with a touch of Zen :)
[/quote]   :D

Only calls so far have been sales/account related, but they've been great so far, literally a breath of fresh air after Vodafone/Demon.   

Calls answered promptly and by people who appear knowledgable.    And who speak better English than I do, allowing for my Glaswegian background.   :-[

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 09:37:53 PM »

My friends installation went pretty smoothly, the only minor hiccup was the courier and delivery of the router. 

From what I can gather...One of those where they shove a card through the door but don't knock to check if the person is in kind of things... with no contact no to arrange re delivery.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 09:47:38 PM »

minor update, I have managed to move that darned cupboard.   There is now just under 4" clearance, measured from plaster surface, hopefully that will cover all eventualities.   :fingers:

Thats better but it's still a tricky job when you are limited to 4" it just makes it harder to see and terminate the terminals, a krone tool (Kd-1) is 7 inchs long it's going to be a crick in the neck job for that engineer  :(
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 09:57:56 PM by NewtronStar »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2014, 10:09:12 PM »

Thats better but it's still a tricky job when you are limited to 4" it just makes it harder to see and terminate the terminals, a krone tool (Kd-1) is 7 inchs long it's going to be a crick in the neck job for that engineer  :(

The faceplate is about 50% obscured, ie one half has 4", the 'visible' half is unrestricted.

There is certainly enough room now to dig out the old rf3, and to add a bulky faceplate.   The main challenge may be installing the screws securing the new faceplate, at least the one on the far side.  It may thus depend on whether the engineer is willing to leave a faceplate secured by just one screw...

I will try to post some pics, they do say 'worth a thousand words' and all that.   :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2014, 10:29:17 PM »

It may thus depend on whether the engineer is willing to leave a faceplate secured by just one screw...

Its not the screws those are the easy part, it's the IDC punch down thats difficult you need a good horizonal hold and see the wire before punching down to terminate, this is I think were the OR engineers fails 3 out of 10 the IDC insertion is not fully completed.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2014, 11:47:42 AM »

It may thus depend on whether the engineer is willing to leave a faceplate secured by just one screw...

Its not the screws those are the easy part, it's the IDC punch down thats difficult you need a good horizonal hold and see the wire before punching down to terminate, this is I think were the OR engineers fails 3 out of 10 the IDC insertion is not fully completed.

Oh dear, now you have me worried again.   Can't help wondering though, another option... the NTE is in plasterboard on a wooden framed wall, so could the entire NTE5 box maybe be loosened and lifted from the wall, rotated for access to the IDCs, then remounted after connections made?

Unfortunately I seem to have awoken to some discomfort.  I've had a dodgy back for years and occasionally something inside seems to go 'twang', grounding me for a couple of days, until it settles down.   Probably a consequence, in part, of moving that cupboard.    :'(

So I'm leaving it all be for now, resisting the temptation to start experimenting with different access options.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2014, 12:21:59 PM »

In tricky, confined areas like yours, 7LM, an option we employ is to extend the in-situ wires by crimping lengths of cab jumper-wire to the existing ones. That way, we can get a good IDC connection.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4