Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: A nice surprise  (Read 12055 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
A nice surprise
« on: September 16, 2014, 03:48:45 PM »

Until quite recently, all the FTTC availability checkers, said my exchange was 'NC', not in current plans.  Then it changed, to sometime 2015, and then to December 2014.  There's never been absolute consistency, the (sponsoring) local authority's info has never quite agreed with BT's, though by and large December seemed credible.  The BT checker currently says 'coming soon', local authority still says 'completed by December'.

But today, as I drove past the cabinet, I saw an Openreach van and man at work. So I stopped and politely asked if he could make a personal prediction as to FTTC availability dates.  He looked bemused, and explained his task - today - was connecting an FTTC line to my very cabinet!

And sure enough, the Zen website now seems willing to accept an FTTC order for my line :clap: 

Estimates circa 50/15. Probably credible, I'd estimate it to be about 500 yds or so.  I did warn Eric I may yet be catching up with his 'little excitement' thread  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: A nice surprise
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 04:07:18 PM »

As I've always said, patience is indeed a virtue. It will get to the majority of EU's all in good time.  :) You'll not look back once you've got it.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 04:44:17 PM »

That's terrific news 7LM. But I think I'm going to win the race by a nose. ;D
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 05:47:18 PM »

I'm still pretty green wrt FTTC, but maybe somebody can resolve a concern that I have...

...According to the Zen website, an Engineer will call and install a new faceplate.   Trouble is, my existing NTE5 is partly obscured by a large, heavy, fully loaded cupboard, leaving just about 1.5 inches clearance on the obscured half.   Will the engineer likely require me to move that cupboard? It is of  1980s chipboard flat-pack pedigree, so may not survive being moved in a hurry   :o

I can (and often have) remove(d) the faceplate as I have a handy little screwdriver bit that's ideal for twiddling out the screws despite limited space, but will that suffice?

FWIW, I think there is an RF3 pcb, mounted and dangling just by its wires, inside the existing NTE.  But getting at it may be challenging, if needed. :-\

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 08:26:53 PM »

Just for information to your good-self and any others looking on, I always take the tack that it is YOUR premises and you do what you feel is right.

As you are most likely aware, some ISP's offer self-install FTTC, where it's basically plug-and-play into the existing dongle micro-filter. So, if you are not fussed (at this time) about having the SSFP installed, then stick with your current set-up ??
The only point of note is that if you get an Openreach engineer, then he/she has to perform a mandatory PQT at the NTE5. The hidden RF3 will unfortunately ensure that this test fails. So, I would  inform them of this, before they head off into the sunset chasing a ghost-fault.  :)

I have had quite a few EU's who aren't concerned about their DSL services being run over home-run parallel wiring, or they have brushed-steel socket fronts and don't want the SSFP fitting, or various other aesthetic reasons for not having us do the install to its highest standard. I always inform them of likely drops in speed, but when they've gone from low/medium ADSL speeds to medium/high VDSL speeds, they're not bothered at losing 10-20Meg.

As I say, 7LM, it's your house ...... your rules. We and the ISP can only give 'Best practice' advice.  :)

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 08:43:42 PM »

Thanks Black Sheep for the info.

Could I ask if there is there a 3m rule for the nte5?

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 08:55:49 PM »

Well done SLM it looks like you will beet me as well. :o   ;D
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 09:29:53 PM »

Thanks Black Sheep for the info.

Could I ask if there is there a 3m rule for the nte5?

To cover all points, just in case there is any confusion ................ any poly cable (ie: Dropwire 10, etc) can only be run a maximum of 2mtrs into a premises.

The WLR3 product states ........ 'WLR - 3 metre rule: This rule is a condition of the WLR3 product and stipulates that Openreach will install the NTE within 3m's of entry to the premises. Any cabling required beyond that point is chargeable at TRC rates'.

Now then, I don't carry out brand new installs anymore, that's left to the CAL/OMI lads and lasses. But, I believe the 3mtr rule has now been relaxed ?? This is just going from memory and maybe another OR engineer could comment further to clarify ??

I fear this may be going slightly OT here, as a FTTC conversion would always mean the installation wiring was in-situ.  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 10:13:58 PM »

leaving just about 1.5 inches clearance on the obscured half.   Will the engineer likely require me to move that cupboard? It is of  1980s chipboard flat-pack pedigree, so may not survive being moved in a hurry   :o

NTE5 with SSFP installed = 2 inches thats without any DSL plugs connected to the SSFP so I would add in another 5 cm for the cable.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 10:19:12 PM »

Hey thats fantastic news  :clap: :clap2:

As regards to the SSFP, from what you say you may have a problem with space.   The VDSL version sticks out quite a lot more than the NTEs -  mine sticks out by nearly 2.5 inches and thats before the end of the modem cable that now also sticks out.

This is the problem that I originally had

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 10:31:31 PM »

Thanks folks.

So, if the space at existing NTE is too cramped, will they move it within the 3 metre rule?   If so, that would be fine.

Ideally I'd keep my existing setup at least as an experiment, which is an unfiltered NTE and a filtered faceplate halfway along the chain of extensions at my 'comms cupboard' where the modem is connected, with subsequent extensions on the filtered side, thus killing reflections.   It gives identical results on DSL as connecting at the test socket.

But it would be unfair to expect the BT in installer to 'take it on trust' from me that my wiring is all properly thought out, and not sure if Zen allow self-install.   And anyway, I wouldn't be able to (legitimately) remove the hidden rf3 myself. :-\

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 10:40:41 PM »

Thanks folks.
So, if the space at existing NTE is too cramped, will they move it within the 3 metre rule?   If so, that would be fine.

They did it for me my master was in the front porch and the door was always smashing the old BT master socket when fully opened, but I made a 3 meter extension socket into the hallway years before ADSL/FTTC and the engineer made this into the New Master Socket NTE5 with SSFP.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 10:54:38 PM by NewtronStar »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 10:52:12 PM »

They moved mine too - eventually!

The first guy that came to install was a contractor, who back wired the SSFP to the NTE.   Apparently he shouldnt really have done that, but it was the quickest solution for him to get in and out.   ::)  I had wanted the NTE location moving because it wasnt practical where it was  so the back-wiring was his quick fix because he said he wasnt booked do that (despite me specifying that the master socket would need relocating at the time of ordering)  :(   

A proper BToR engineer later came out and did the job properly
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 11:18:01 PM »

I'm thinking the best option is to spend best part of a day nudging that cupboard away from the NTE, and hard against a desk on the other side.  That should allow nearly four inches clearance measured from plaster surface.

Unfortunately 'a day' is not much exaggeration as it'll need to be emptied first, some shelves removed, then nudged two inches before reassembly and refill.    :(

Once the installer has gone, I assume  I can legally replace the SSFP with the old original unfiltered faceplate, and try the configuration of my choosing as described above?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 11:31:29 PM »

Once the installer has gone, I assume  I can legally replace the SSFP with the old original unfiltered faceplate, and try the configuration of my choosing as described above?

Yes of course it's legal but you may find your line stats are lacking, but that makes it much more interesting to compare the difference between the two devices on the Kitz forum  ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything