Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Combined VDSL2 Modem Routers  (Read 319031 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Combined VDSL2 Modem Routers
« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2016, 09:43:48 AM »

I'm well aware this model doesn't support g-fast, I never asked if it did.
I know 1 of the newer broadcom chipsets support vdsl2 & g-fast, I was asking if it was the BCM63138.

Asus have decided to support vdsl2 profile 35b (vplus) with this model. What I've read about vplus doesn't look very promising. It seems to suffer much more from crosstalk, meaning rates can easily drop below 17a and the vectoring requires around 4x more memory.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2016, 10:49:13 AM »

Hi

I'm well aware this model doesn't support g-fast, I never asked if it did.
I know 1 of the newer broadcom chipsets support vdsl2 & g-fast, I was asking if it was the BCM63138.

Asus have decided to support vdsl2 profile 35b (vplus) with this model. What I've read about vplus doesn't look very promising. It seems to suffer much more from crosstalk, meaning rates can easily drop below 17a and the vectoring requires around 4x more memory.

Sorry, it read as if you were hoping G.Fast might be supported by that router at some point.

In the UK at least, VDSL is stuck at 17a, it will be G.Fast bringing faster speeds and higher frequencies, so 35b isn't a selling point for the UK market, although I'm sure marketing likes the higher numbers they can list on the box!  ;)

Regards

Phil

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2016, 07:15:31 PM »

Is the Asus DSL-AC87VG even going to be for the UK? The specifications list "Annex B/J (Annex B HW)", and the presence of the telephony support makes it appear to be more aimed at other European countries than the UK.

mjgr33n

« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2016, 04:01:15 PM »

Is the Asus DSL-AC87VG even going to be for the UK? The specifications list "Annex B/J (Annex B HW)", and the presence of the telephony support makes it appear to be more aimed at other European countries than the UK.

I have only seen it for sale in Germany at the moment, if they do release it in UK I suspect it might have a slightly different SKU or model number.

dodgydrains

« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2017, 08:11:51 AM »

DSL-AC88U will be the model coming to the UK

https://www.asus.com/Networking/DSL-AC88U/

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2017, 10:21:05 AM »

DSL-AC88U will be the model coming to the UK

https://www.asus.com/Networking/DSL-AC88U/

That doesn't look cheap! Is this the one that reportedly is using broadcom chipsets for the DSL side now?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2017, 10:34:39 AM »

The router-only version RT-AC88U is £250 on Amazon. I don't think I'll be in any hurry to buy the DSL-AC88U. :)
  Eric

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2017, 12:02:14 PM »

The router-only version RT-AC88U is £250 on Amazon. I don't think I'll be in any hurry to buy the DSL-AC88U. :)

I think many would be put off with the issues with the DSL-AC68U. I certainly wouldn't be rushing into anything until it is proven.

babis3g

« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2017, 02:45:45 PM »

The dsl ac87vg is only for annex B countries ... it will not be any annex A version ( the info i have because with annex A version are too many EU providers with voip so each isp have different voip settings, Asus seems is not ready for this voip challenge) ... if some one has vdsl line, the annex B should work, but if the dslam has adsl fallback (some EU countries have) or change back to adsl it will not work, so maybe is not point getting it

babis3g

« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2017, 02:53:43 PM »

I think many would be put off with the issues with the DSL-AC68U. I certainly wouldn't be rushing into anything until it is proven.
This model now has a broadcom xdsl chipset BCM63138, which other broadcoms seems are ok, my guess if any issue (regarding the line) its not due to Asus but broadcom (obviously Asus will look bad) ... but if any other issue regarding routing bugs, again my guess they will look at it fast ... the broadcom should be fine now even to different dslams because are well known for their stability (in most cases)

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2017, 03:41:57 PM »

Lets hope so or many more people will be buying more expensive paperweights.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #131 on: February 11, 2017, 12:07:06 AM »

best to avoid all in one units in my opinion 250 is very expensive also in practical terms the ac88 and ac87 are no better than the ac68

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #132 on: February 11, 2017, 04:47:50 AM »

best to avoid all in one units in my opinion 250 is very expensive also in practical terms the ac88 and ac87 are no better than the ac68

This is also my view, there is definite logic in separating modem, router and WAP.  Main problem I find is that "normal" people want a one-box solution, I guess you can understand this from a convenience point of view.

My mum, for example, has no idea there is a way of accessing her router (at all) and just uses the default settings on the "sticker" and the switch on the wall socket to reboot it :D

After some initial optimism, my RT-AC68U was relegated to a WAP a couple of years ago after the issues I encountered with it. Steering clear of Asus stuff now.

I wonder what the most bomb-proof "Granny friendly" all-in-one modem-WAP-router is?

Chunks

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2017, 01:58:51 PM »

babis3g just confirmed on thinkbroadband that telnet will be blocked on the Asus DSL-AC88U. Their DSL stats on the web interface also gives absolutely no ES numbers.
So they listened, switched to broadcom, then blocked the CLI via telnet. That's enough of a reason for me not to buy 1!
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2017, 02:10:57 PM »

the new devices are been restricted to keep the wifi regulators happy
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

anything