Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Combined VDSL2 Modem Routers  (Read 319107 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Combined VDSL2 Modem Routers
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2015, 10:59:19 AM »

The more I research the DGND3700 the more confusing it becomes and so far I have not been able to confirm that it works with VDSL/2 with any official firmware, apparently the V1 can be hacked for VDSL but by using unofficial firmware. The Netgear site says nothing about VDSL/2 support in this router so I suggest (unless anyone knows anything different) until we get official confirmation from Netgear that it is removed from the list.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2015, 11:36:50 AM »

I've added a "To be confirmed" note to the entry.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2015, 01:02:05 PM »

Ive done a google and the history seems rather curious.  Theres too much myth and unsubstantiated facts around this atm.  I find information, then I find other information that contradicts that.  It would appear that at one time Netgear released one of the DGND3700s (most likely v1) with a vdsl2 modem, but they later withdrew support.

The custom firmware available for the DGND3700v1 is based on the vdsl drivers which were later withdrawn by netgear.  I cant find any reason why Netgear withdrew the vdsl functionality, but because the custom f/w appears to be based on the later withdrawn f/w, then I'm removing v1 from the list. Users can try this at their own risk and the custom f/w can be found at richuds site here.settings here.

It would appear that one of our members bilbokitz is successfully using a DGND3700 with vdsl, but its unclear which version.

Facts surrounding v2 seem very contradictory, and there may be confusion between this and v1 and its chipset support..  so Im also withdrawing that from the main list until there is official confirmation from netgear or another trusted source. 

-------
ETA
I just noticed that golden fibre has also changed his facts re the v2 - link.   This is way too confusing.  In future I think its best to leave the list purely for those modem/routers which are advertised & sold by the manufacturer as being vdsl compatible.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 01:17:21 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2015, 11:51:57 AM »

Is there any reason why the HH5 isn't included in the list given that it is readily available on Ebay and on the BT Shop
Jim
Plusnet

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2015, 12:07:07 PM »

HH5 doesn't work on every ISP; only BT, PN and possibly TT.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2015, 01:31:37 PM »

From what I've seen on the TT forum HH5 will NOT work with TT, at least not as a full blown router.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2015, 05:00:01 PM »

Is there any reason why the HH5 isn't included in the list

There is a mention on Page 1  ;)
Sagem HomeHub5 [A]  is Lantiq vrx268 1.2.1
Arcadyan Technology Homehub5 B is Broadcom BCM63268

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2015, 10:43:35 AM »

Unfortunately as mentioned, the HomeHub5 will definitely not work with any other ISP other than BT or Plusnet.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

bilbokitz

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2015, 01:25:37 PM »

Ive done a google and the history seems rather curious.  Theres too much myth and unsubstantiated facts around this atm.  I find information, then I find other information that contradicts that.  It would appear that at one time Netgear released one of the DGND3700s (most likely v1) with a vdsl2 modem, but they later withdrew support.

The custom firmware available for the DGND3700v1 is based on the vdsl drivers which were later withdrawn by netgear.  I cant find any reason why Netgear withdrew the vdsl functionality, but because the custom f/w appears to be based on the later withdrawn f/w, then I'm removing v1 from the list. Users can try this at their own risk and the custom f/w can be found at richuds site here.settings here.

It would appear that one of our members bilbokitz is successfully using a DGND3700 with vdsl, but its unclear which version.

Confirmed, I have a V1 at work with very old firmware doing our VDSL connected directly to the telephone line rj11. I think I even posted the stats on this forum somewhere. Seems to be fairly good for the basics however I seriously doubt it will ever support any of the new technologies eg vectoring.

Alcatel Cab 200/20 Vectored VDSL 35b - Technicolor DGA4130 Bridged + Asus RT-AC86U Asuswrt-Merlin

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2015, 01:41:28 PM »

The DGND3700v1 stats posted here appear to show G.IPN active.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,136375.msg1197054.html#msg1197054

Has the talk talk super router (HG635) been considered for the list.
I've been running one for some time on my plusnet VDSL connection.
Connection setup here:
http://npr.me.uk/hg635.html
That page needs updating with some of the bugs which have become evident over time.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:05:56 PM by npr »

Tacitus

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2015, 07:27:16 PM »

I notice that for the Vigor 2760N "some users have been disappointed with the performance"

In what respect?  Poor wireless, poor throughput?

A search of this site hasn't found anything, but I'm new to Kitz so might be looking in the wrong place.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2015, 10:49:21 PM »

@tacitus - reviews on sites such as amazon etc made by purchasers of the router.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2015, 11:19:17 PM »

The aim of this thread was as specified in the first paragraph "to list those that are currently available for purchase in the UK."

Its not my intention to list any routers which have to be modified.  Once I start doing that then the list gets far too complicated as there are several routers which can be modified by either using custom firmwares or by sticking firmware on that was originally intended for another router (ie the TP-links).  Last w/e with the Netgears was a good example of how much confusion was caused and I ended up having to spend a considerable amount of time trawling through the internet to attempt to get facts.. then in the end go back to the original source and ask for clarification for something which turned out to be very misleading.  I'm afraid atm my time is very limited... and in fact the only reason I was around this w/e was because I was full of the lurgy and therefore banned from visiting ICU.   By all means feel free to start new thread discussing hacking or modding other routers to get them to work with vdsl, but that isnt the aim of this particular thread.     Ive just added a note to the first page which clarifies this.
Thanks for understanding. :)
-----

richud

• Just arrived
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2015, 10:58:28 PM »

Hi Kitz,

The Netgear DGND3700V1 is FCC certified for VDSL. [The exact same hardware is still sold in Germany for fibre, but renamed DGND3800B.]
Unless anywhere has old stock it probably won't be for sale in the UK any more - some always on eBay.
Please let me know if you want to know anything further about it, lots of FUD about !

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2015, 12:47:47 PM »

Apologies if this is in the wrong place but do any of the combined units allow a monitoring program to track the fibre stats (noise margin, speeds, etc.)
Jim
Plusnet
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

anything