Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can power line adapters cause interference?  (Read 12653 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Can power line adapters cause interference?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 06:28:41 PM »

That's also my line of thought.

xreyuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 07:52:29 PM »

No problem, thanks guys :(

I wish they'd sort out vectoring.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 09:39:58 PM »

I must admit when I read earlier I thought I wonder if it's increased crosstalk from another line being attached to the cab too... But didn't comment because I couldn't be sure.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

xreyuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 04:48:58 PM »

I think the errors were definitely the power line adapters as the erros have seriously decreased since taking them out.

Unfortunately I may be a victim of crosstalk for overall speed.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 07:09:07 PM »

I have seen a few members when using the -maxdDataRate command for a long time the DLM seems to get stuck onto a profile I can't verify this xreyuk, but if your pbParams look exactly the same then is crosstalk the issue as I seem to remember BE1 saying his signal attenuation was way higher than the line attenuation on his D1 band.

and with only 4 days since the powerline issues caused the DLM to take effect it's still kind of early as you may get a few more modem retrains until you get back to normal.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 07:30:17 PM by NewtronStar »

Roxy

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 11:23:56 PM »

I have seen a few members when using the -maxdDataRate command for a long time the DLM seems to get stuck onto a profile I can't verify this xreyuk, but if your pbParams look exactly the same then is crosstalk the issue as I seem to remember BE1 saying his signal attenuation was way higher than the line attenuation on his D1 band.

and with only 4 days since the powerline issues caused the DLM to take effect it's still kind of early as you may get a few more modem retrains until you get back to normal.

I've got some power lines lying around I might use in the future. If I cannot see the FEC/CRC error stats on my modem/router, am I out of luck in determining if the PLAs cause extra noise?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 01:15:04 AM »

am I out of luck in determining if the PLAs cause extra noise?

without any stats monitoring tool your basically blind on how the powerline adapters are affecting your modem, but in saying that even with out seeing stats and if the PLA are causing interference I am sure you will noice the reduction in downstream speed as the DLM has taken affect on your line (you run a speedtester and notice you have lost a chuck of download speed)  ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 01:17:53 AM by NewtronStar »

xreyuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 01:22:53 AM »

My D1 band has always had some sort of interference on it, ever since I got FTTC.

Line attenuation is 16d.5dB and signal attenuation is 25dB, but it's been those exact values since the start, and it's still those two values today.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 02:00:29 AM »

My D1 band has always had some sort of interference on it, ever since I got FTTC.
Line attenuation is 16d.5dB and signal attenuation is 25dB, but it's been those exact values since the start, and it's still those two values today.

Thats fine xreyuk it just seems to me any loss of downstream everyone is pointing there finger at crosstalk as the culbrit these days, surely there must be a definitive way to know if crosstalk is the cause in dslstats and hg612_modem_stats as it all seems a guessing game to me.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 02:13:40 AM »

A likely reason as others said is crosstalk but the reason no one can be sure is that there is other possible reasons including

alternative power masking applied by DLM (this can reduce sync as well as increase it)
external noise
time of day affecting sync speed if line is vulnerable to things like radio noise
interference from electrical devices
fault on the line itself

xreyuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 03:02:00 PM »

Thanks guys, I'm expecting DLM to lower the interleaving shortly as it's still double what it was before the errors, and the error counts are really low.

I'll see what happens next resync.

xreyuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2014, 11:27:59 AM »

Well, resynced this morning with DLM, and it has restored me completely to a 'pre powerline adaptor' state.

SNRM is now reading 7.8dB again, and delay and interleaving are back to normal. Learned a little bit along the way :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2014, 07:07:39 PM »

Well, resynced this morning with DLM, and it has restored me completely to a 'pre powerline adaptor' state.

SNRM is now reading 7.8dB again, and delay and interleaving are back to normal. Learned a little bit along the way :)

Great News, I try my best to advise other members when they have incountered massive errors when using the Ethernet Powerline Adapters is to remove them completely and you will need patience as your DLM takes it's time to recover.

Yes the bloody DLM only needs to see 15 minutes worth of high errors like you had with EPLA's, remember testing my EPLA's for one hour and it took 14 days for the DLM to relent  >:(
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 07:30:48 PM by NewtronStar »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything