Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: aardvark's line on mydslwebstats  (Read 6557 times)

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: aardvark's line on mydslwebstats
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »

I had 2 of them in my first 3 weeks.  I then had a 3rd over 18 months later about a month ago which I got cancelled out with a pair swap.

How did you manage to get a pair swap ?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 06:44:16 PM »

My line failed the GEA test as it lost more than 25% of its speed during the analysis period.

Attainable speed above 80mbit doesnt count for that tho, noone will care you have gone from over 100 attainable to 85.  You are still counted as staying on top 80 speed.  Also its not convincing the 3rd was crosstalk as it had other weird symptons.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 04:28:50 PM »

(Hoping to not jinx the line any further) I noticed that the DLM intervention seems to have been a little non-standard...

- First, DLM seems to have put FEC and Interleaving on both upstream and downstream, with INP=3 downstream and INP=4 upstream. In a bog-standard intervention, it would only intervene downstream.

It would be interesting to see what delay values were chosen, as I suspect it won't be the standard 8ms either.

- Second, DLM seems to have restricted the downstream speed to around 72Mbps, even though there was *plenty* of headroom for FEC to be added while maintaining the sync speed at 80Mbps.

Since the crosstalk-induced reduction in SNRM, that headroom has been reduced significantly, and is probably no longer enough.

As a separate note: I occasionally see my upstream change in this way; The SNRM/attainable figures can swap between 12dB/26Mbps and 7db/22Mbps. No obvious cause.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 10:24:53 PM »

WWWombat,

My stats are not getting better, particularly as Plusnet has just kyboshed my line due to the current MAJOR dropout of sessions at approx 18:00 today.

I did not want the line to be bouncing up and down until the authentication started working again so I switched the Zyxel modem off until 21:30.

It is now back up (hence this post  ;D).

I now wait to see what DLM does to me now !!!  :( :o :no:

BTW: My delay is 6ms Down / 8ms Up

My 'headroom' has all gone and my max attainable is 99691  ???

Really enjoying the 'FTTC experience' no end  ;D ;D ;D

It really is a random lottery what you get depending on line length/quality/number & usage of adjacent pairs in the phone cable to the cab/continental drift/ phase of the moon and Astrological Star sign of the OR Engineer who installed the line (or so it seems)  :D ;D

I had at most 4.5MBps on my old Be/Sky ADSL2+ line, at the current rate of change I might be there again by Christmas assuming Plusnet can keep the 'Tin Cans & Damp String' working until then.  ;)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 11:31:24 PM »

WWWombat,

My stats are not getting better, particularly as Plusnet has just kyboshed my line due to the current MAJOR dropout of sessions at approx 18:00 today.

I did not want the line to be bouncing up and down until the authentication started working again so I switched the Zyxel modem off until 21:30.

FWIW, my modem remained in sync during that period, happily logging stats etc.

I did disconnect & reconnect the modem though just in case that was the issue (& lost a few KB of sync speed), before I eventually found Plusnet's phone No. & heard the recorded message about the outage.

EDIT:

Of course, I couldn't actually see this service status message at the time:-

"This is an update to this evening's earlier posts regarding the drop in
a significant number of customer sessions across our broadband network.

Our network engineers are continuing to work on resolving this and we
are seeing that some users have started to re-connect.

If you are struggling to connect to the Internet then please try
powering off your router, this does not apply to Fibre modems, for a
minimum of 1-2 hours before powering it back up and attempting to
re-establish a connection to the Internet.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,

Linn Karstrom
Customer Relations"

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:36:27 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 12:59:35 AM »

Aardvark..  just so you know where it is.

Tonights problems caused loss of PPP, which is ISP connection..  and different from sync (which is connection to the exchange and the one monitored by the DLM).

If for any reason you want to disconnect or reconnect to your ISP without losing sync so the DLM doesnt notice, you can do this in the Zyxel

The setting is in Connection Status > Status (arrow at the right).

Then under the status menu on the left, it says - IPv4 Address:  [your ip] Disconnect
Click the disconnect button.   

To reconnect, refresh the page then click Connect
You may have to wait a short while at the refresh page until the router has registered the disconnect if you wish to reconnect again immediately.

------------
Although saying that.. tonight I was on the TPlink and according to the status lights I also lost sync, not just PPP. 
Ive put the Zyxel back on now as much better monitoring facilities...  plus I also wanted to gateway hop without DLM noticing me reconnecting.

Code: [Select]
16 2014 Sep 18 00:19:55 PPPoE notice PPP: ppp1.1 Connection Up.
17 2014 Sep 18 00:19:55 PPPoE notice IPCP Opening.
18 2014 Sep 18 00:19:54 PPPoE notice PPP LCP Up.
19 2014 Sep 18 00:19:54 PPPoE notice PPP LCP Down. Reason:0 lower down
20 2014 Sep 18 00:19:52 PPPoE notice PPP LCP Up.
21 2014 Sep 18 00:19:52 PPPoE notice Receive PADS
22 2014 Sep 18 00:19:52 PPPoE notice Send PADR
23 2014 Sep 18 00:19:52 PPPoE notice PADO received
24 2014 Sep 18 00:19:52 PPPoE notice Send PADI
25 2014 Sep 18 00:15:36 DHCP server notice DHCP server information has been modified
26 2014 Sep 18 00:15:35 PPPoE notice PPP: ppp1.1 Connection Down.
27 2014 Sep 18 00:15:35 PPPoE notice PPP LCP Down. Reason:0 lower down
28 2014 Sep 18 00:15:33 Internet notice Internet Down.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 04:32:42 PM »

Aardvark..  just so you know where it is.

Tonights problems caused loss of PPP, which is ISP connection..  and different from sync (which is connection to the exchange and the one monitored by the DLM).

If for any reason you want to disconnect or reconnect to your ISP without losing sync so the DLM doesnt notice, you can do this in the Zyxel

Thanks kitz, I am aware of the difference between loss of PPP and Sync but did not want to take any chances.
Past experience has taught me that the recovery often 'bounces the line' up & down.
(The sudden surge of re-connections overloads something and the line bounces anyway.)

[gripe mode on]
As it turned out the Zyxel telnet & http access locked up and I had to power it off this morning.
I waited an hour before switching back on to give DLM time to realise it was not a line fault. <one can hope  ;D ;D ;D>

Another big gap in collected stats messing up my graphs again.
DSLstats and HGstats giving errors because they could not login tied everything in knots and I ended up re-starting my PC to get everything cleaned up.

My max attainable (down) is sub-100Mb and even my max attainable (up) is beginning to fall.
I am being assaulted on all sides  :( :( :( ;D

Maybe I should get multiple fibre BB from different vendors and hopefully at least 1 line will be working at a time !!!! <jk>

Seriously, I do wonder what I will end up with at the current rate of loss. I have been on fibre broadband for 28 days and the euphoria is beginning to wear off or is that the pills wearing off !!!  :D :D ;)
[Gripe mode off]

Thank you for listening ..... I feel much better now !!!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 04:45:47 PM »

>> Thank you for listening ..... I feel much better now

Just about all of us who got fttc when the cab was new have seen & experienced what you are going through with the loss of maximum speed... so we fully sympathise.

Unfortunately you had the added joys of attracting the wrath of the DLM whilst playing with the router.. plus last nights Plusnet network issue..  so no wonder youre feeling less enchanted  :flower:

The only consolation I can give is iirc you still have 20Mb to play with....  and whilst not a hard and fast rule, I saw my biggest drops during the first few months.

Maybe I should get multiple fibre BB from different vendors and hopefully at least 1 line will be working at a time !!!! <jk>

lol.. knowing your luck, you'd probably end up with your own lines causes crosstalk amongst themselves.. so you'd be worse off  :-X

PS

I think last nights episode confused the TPlink because despite it supposedly only causing loss of PPP, Im sure the sync light was flashing on and off a few times.  It definitely went off at least once, and Im sure again about 10 mins later.
One of the reasons why I put the Zyxel back on was because of the better monitoring... and also because it gives me a better overhead and less errors, so hopefully less chance of the DLM noticing something.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 04:53:31 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 05:34:42 PM »

lol.. knowing your luck, you'd probably end up with your own lines causes crosstalk amongst themselves.. so you'd be worse off  :-X

Lol, I never thought of that !!!!!!. It would be an absolute certainty as things are going. ;D

I just needed a gripe as I cannot believe my luck at the moment.
I must keep in mind that I have 72Mb to play with so be 'Happy'.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 05:24:08 PM »

Update:

My line has recovered from the bad dose of 'DLM'  ;D

I am back at 79987/19999 kbps (Down/Up)  but my max attainable is now 92577 kbps.

Fingers crossed that future hits are minimal and few.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 06:11:15 PM »

Yay glad it gone, but it sucks that it took 2wks before it realised all was actually ok.

Sympathies with the dives in attainable.   When the line is interleaved it also mucks up the calculation for max attainable and can make that figure higher than if the line was non-interleaved.   So your l line could have even taken a bigger hit than originally thought on the 14th. :(

-----
Pages: 1 [2]

anything