Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help with connection stats  (Read 4425 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Help with connection stats
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 05:09:24 PM »

From xdslcmd info --pbParams data

ECI DSLAM:-

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (6,31) (882,1193) (1984,2770)
DS: (33,857) (1218,1959) (2795,4083)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan

Huawei DSLAM:-

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2782)
DS: (33,859) (1216,1961) (2793,3970)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 06:00:30 PM »

For the sake of 20 quid, I have purchased an ECI modem to give it a try! Will miss the stats though 
Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk (with free typos)

No you don't have to purchase the ECI modem, it was just me presuming that the original FTTC modem at the day of FTTC installation was and ECI Modem when seeing your ECI Bandplan and may have purchased a HG612 to see your stats  :-[

Jasonkruys

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 07:14:43 PM »

For the sake of 20 quid, I have purchased an ECI modem to give it a try! Will miss the stats though 

No you don't have to purchase the ECI modem, it was just me presuming that the original FTTC modem at the day of FTTC installation was and ECI Modem when seeing your ECI Bandplan and may have purchased a HG612 to see your stats  :-[

Haha, I realise that NewtronStar - no worries! I have read numerous threads on here, and elsewhere, and *some* people have reported improved connection by matching the chipsets. Some, have reported no difference, and some have reported worse! I thought for the sake of £20 it was worth a try to see if there is any improvement - even if I see no increase in speed, but a reduction or removal of Interleaving/INP/Delay which I would very much like to see!

To answer another post - I do have DECT in the house, not near the modem though. I thought in the EU DECT operated at around 1800MHz+ which is far away from the 9/10Mhz dropoff on my tones??

Cheers

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 11:38:53 AM »

First Question - are these dips at this particular frequency 'normal' / what might be causing them?
The first obvious dip, where all bits/SNR values gradually decrease to some minimum point at tone 512 or earlier, is a deliberate power reduction by the cabinet. They do this to ensure that VDSL from the cabinet doesn't swamp the lower power of the ADSL from the exchange. The actual tone of the dip, and the height, depend on the distance of the cabinet from the exchange.

The smaller dips, around tone 1024 and 2048, seem strange. Perhaps the ECI cabinet has been told not to use them for some reason.

Second Question - Despite the similarity, Ronski is using tones much higher than mine - mine cut dead at 2143. Is this indicative of a particular issue or mode of interference, or just a characteristic of my perhaps slightly longer line?
Basically, the modem doesn't use any tones where it thinks the signal level is too low relative to the noise. If you compare the Bits/tone graph with the SNR/tone graph, you see that bits stop being allocated when the SNR is less than around 9-10dB, and the SNR graph stops getting any value at all below 8dB.

The signal level you receive is a function of the length, diameter, and quality of your line. The Hlog graph gives you an idea of this part of the environment.

The noise level interfering with you comes from your environment, and from the VDSL2 signals from all neighbouring within the cable bundle: more subscribers = more interference. The QLN graph shows you the noise environment that you are working within.

So, in comparing your line with Ronski's, I can see:
- The Hlog graph shows your line is a little worse than Ronski's - perhaps being longer, thinner or both. You will get less signal at the extreme distances, about 5dBm/Hz less than Ronski at the end of D2 & start of D3, which results in you getting less bits/tone at the upper end of D2 and no tones in D3.
- The QLN graph shows a similar shape, but your line is slightly noisier around the U2 band. The extra noise here means you get fewer bits/tone within U2.
- The SNR/tone graph shows the combination of the two above (signal - noise): you run out of usable tones earlier.

There isn't anything that appears *obviously* abnormal there. Just a longer line, with

(This myDSLWebststats thing is great for comparisons, isn't it?)

Jasonkruys

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 09:26:05 PM »

Wow,fantastic! Thanks for the detailed analysis. Indeed, myDSLWebstats is awesome for exactly this. Really really good. In fact, I suspect many people will learn more about their connections using it to direct compare with others, than they may by any other means!
Pages: 1 [2]