Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35]

Author Topic: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)  (Read 297272 times)

stepea

• Just arrived
Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)
« Reply #510 on: November 30, 2016, 08:32:33 PM »

The general opinion is that the DSL-A68U is a rotten modem but an excellent wireless router. The best solution technically is probably to get a separate modem operating in bridge mode, feeding the Asus for the wireless router functions.

I have so many problems with this device, my ISP is Plusnet and I can go for weeks with a stable connection, then out of the blue, loses connection and have difficulty in re-connecting.  I bought a cheap TP-link TD-W8960N to test my line, the connection is up and running within a few minutes but the device isn't powerful enough to connect all my network devices throughout my household.

Has anyone setup a bridge with the TP link as the modem and the Asus AC68, the router.   

thesmileyone

« Reply #511 on: September 25, 2020, 03:13:50 PM »

So re: the new update.

I had some issues with mine dropping wifi constantly on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. The firmware update (it had not been updated since factory; 2016 for me) fixed this.

But now the router intermittently drops my ethernet lan connection instead.

I'm wondering if routers go wrong after 4 years maybe a capacitator leaking or something can cause this ie hardware fault? Should I buy an RT-AC68U to replace it?

Is there anything better out there by a different brand or a different Asus model? Not a fan of the modem inside the router it drops out constantly so I use an ECI currently.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #512 on: September 25, 2020, 04:10:03 PM »

So re: the new update.

I had some issues with mine dropping wifi constantly on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. The firmware update (it had not been updated since factory; 2016 for me) fixed this.

But now the router intermittently drops my ethernet lan connection instead.

I'm wondering if routers go wrong after 4 years maybe a capacitator leaking or something can cause this ie hardware fault? Should I buy an RT-AC68U to replace it?

Is there anything better out there by a different brand or a different Asus model? Not a fan of the modem inside the router it drops out constantly so I use an ECI currently.

I'd say it somewhat depends on your DSLAM's chipset and line characteristics. For example, when I had VDSL2 I found that a Lantiq chipset worked best with the ECI DSLAM I was connected to. Some people have found a modem with a Broadcom chipset, on the other hand, works better for them. It's really what works best for certain lines. I could've used Broadcom too but I found I had less ES/CRC errors with a Lantiq chipset (e.g. DrayTek Vigor) and I could adjust the SNRM target offset for the downstream.

thesmileyone

« Reply #513 on: September 28, 2020, 12:16:18 AM »

Well I use an ECI modem as it's an ECI dslam apparently. I don't get that many disconnects to the dlsam anymore rather disconnects between the router and the computers it is routing.

Since 2016 when I bought the AC68U I have been through 3 of them due to (what I think is) capacitor leakage...getting tired of that now.

I think I'm going to look into PFsense or something like that. I only use a few ports, web, Plex, a Deluge torrent port and sFTP. It can't be that hard... the advantage is I can use the pfsense or equivalent pc I'm using as a router, as a piHole also.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #514 on: September 29, 2020, 02:52:26 PM »

Well I use an ECI modem as it's an ECI dslam apparently. I don't get that many disconnects to the dlsam anymore rather disconnects between the router and the computers it is routing.

Since 2016 when I bought the AC68U I have been through 3 of them due to (what I think is) capacitor leakage...getting tired of that now.

I think I'm going to look into PFsense or something like that. I only use a few ports, web, Plex, a Deluge torrent port and sFTP. It can't be that hard... the advantage is I can use the pfsense or equivalent pc I'm using as a router, as a piHole also.

I misread your original post, I see you have the router only (RT-AC68U) and not the troublesome variant which had a Mediatek chipset for the modem (DSL-AC68U). Yeah pfSense is a good option.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35]

anything