Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35

Author Topic: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)  (Read 297641 times)

michty_me

• Reg Member
Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)
« Reply #420 on: October 15, 2015, 11:57:59 PM »

For a while I reverted to the Huawei modem and used the DSL-AC68U as a router only. I then tried the Netgear D6400 which was very stable only lacking in wireless performance. I have since bought a Netgear D7000 which has been brilliant. I think I have about a months uptime since my latest firmware update which is giving about 10 times LESS errors than the DSL-AC68U had over 10 days.

I'm waiting for the new Billion to come out now and may get that once prices drop a little.

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #421 on: October 17, 2015, 10:12:59 PM »

There is a new Beta Firmware update for the ASUS DSL-AC68U.

Changes are:

Updated GUI on DSL Log and New QOS Settings
New xDSL Firmware with profiles 8 and 12 for vdsl

https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/251B9CFB9FC041498B96CCA9FD918BDD4

Thanks to babis3g for posting it on the ASUS Forums.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #422 on: October 17, 2015, 10:37:42 PM »

There is a new Beta Firmware update for the ASUS DSL-AC68U.

Changes are:

Updated GUI on DSL Log and New QOS Settings
New xDSL Firmware with profiles 8 and 12 for vdsl

https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/251B9CFB9FC041498B96CCA9FD918BDD4

Thanks to babis3g for posting it on the ASUS Forums.

I tried this today. While it's nice to see the UI updated, it still lacks important details such as ES and SES. Unfortunately it's still as unstable as previous firmware versions too (16,000+ downstream CRC errors within 7 hours overnight).

tomcat

• Just arrived
« Reply #423 on: October 21, 2015, 02:45:02 PM »

After reading quite a few positives and negatives about dsl-ac68u I decided to give it a go, as i needed a modem/router that has stronger wifi and better performance than HH5 when streaming video from a usb hdd.
Initially i bought the DSL-N66u but i had to send it back.
I'm on BT infinity 38/10 and with HH5 i had a very stable connection with the HH5 with SNR of about 22 down and 20 up
When i connected the ac68u i had the same sync speeds however the ping has gone from 10ms to 27ms because i was on interleaved. As soon as i enabled g.inp the mode went to fastpath for both up and down and the ping has gone down to 8-9ms.
The connection has been stable for at least 8-9 days now with about 450 crc errors up and 1 down.
On DSL-N66u even when i had g.inp activated it would still go in interleaved mode and wireless coverage was not better than the HH5.
The only issue i see is that with the HH5 i would get around 37mbs on speed tests while with the ac68u i will get around 35-36mbs. Both are syncing at the same speed so not so sure what is the difference as it is tested with lan and same desktop.
overall though happy with the dsl stability, wireless range and usb hdd as media server.

anythingother

Version 3.0.0.4.378_9166

ASUS DSL-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378_9166 (This product supports both Annex A and Annex B)
New features:
- Bandwidth Limiter in Adaptive QoS > QoS. Allow administrator to easily limit specific client's upload/ download bandwidth.
- Now Quick Internet Setup supports ADSL WAN (ATM) VLAN ID setup, specifically for Germany/ Thailand ISP.
- Quick Internet Setup now supports IPTV setting, specifically for UK/ Turkey/ Russia ISP.
- Independent MAC filter for main wireless network and guest network. Administrator can set white list for main wireless network to only allow trusted client connect to main wireless network and share network to guests with guest network.
- Modify the network map client status. When click the client icon, administrator can bind IP, change host name, change icon, block Internet access or set time scheduling.
- Time scheduling, Web & App filter, Wireless MAC filter client drop down menu now can show offline devices.
- Add 3G/4G USB modem APN auto detection feature. In most cases, firmware can automatically find the ISP profile and establish link when 3G/4G dongle inserted to router.
- Add Android phone in USB modem/ USB Tethering > Select USB device.
- Add Smart Sync Dropbox, ftp, samba client support.
- Show current WiFi control channel while value is Auto.
- [AiCloud] Show image EXIF info on image player.
- [AiCloud] Auto rotate image on image player.
- [AiCloud] Files can be moved and copied.
- [AiCloud] Images can be uploaded to Picasa or Twitter.
- [AiCloud] Share link can be posted on Twitter, Plurk, Weibo and QQ in AiCloud.
- [AiCloud] Add import certification.

DSL:
- DSL firmware updated - v1.0.3.2.
- DSL driver updated - v5.5.1.135.
- Fixed ADSL2/2+ stability issue with certain DSLAM.
- Fixed G.dmt Bitswap abnormal issue with certain DSLAM.
- Fixed possible ADSL2/2+ Bitswap gets triggered incorrectly/ frequently issue.
- Fixed possible Bitswap bug caused SNRM to drop gradually and leads to interruption.
- Now when VDSL Annex type is Region B(Europe) but US0 type is Annex A, DSL Log would display as Annex A instead of Annex B(for this case, Annex Mode should be configured as Annex A/I/J/L/M or Annex A).
- [DSL Log] Add TCM(Trellis Coded Modulation), downstream and upstream interleave depth information.
- [DSL Log] Show G.inp upstream/downstream info.
- [DSL Log] Fine tune dsl log page.
- [DSL Log] Show VDSL current profile in DSL Log and feedback form.
- [DSL Setting] Enable G.Vector(G.993.5) by default.
- [DSL Setting] Add 12a multi mode and 8a multi mode for VDSL.
- [DSL Setting] Remove Rx AGC Gain Adjustment(ADSL/ VDSL) DLA auto configuration.
- [QIS] QIS auto detection list updated.
- ADSL WAN (ATM) QIS manual setting list updated, includes more settings for Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei Darussal, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Colombia, Egypt, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Palestinian Authority, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, Tunisia, United Kingdom, Ukraine, USA, Venezuela, Vietnam.
- VDSL WAN (PTM) QIS manual setting list updated, includes more settings for Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, Poland, Qatar, Spain, United Kingdom, Vietnam.

Security fixes:
- Update OpenSSL library to 1.0.2d.
- Update Trend Micro security engine.
- Fixed CVE-2015-6949 buffer overflow issue.
- Fixed Web server Accept-Language buffer overflow issue.
- Fixed Web server URL handler buffer overflow issue.
- Enhanced router login password and wireless password(WPA2) strength check method against brute-force attack.
- Prevent administrator to set too easy to guess login and wireless password in order to avoid brute-force attack.

Modifications:
- [AiCloud] Use https url while playing music in AiCloud.
- [AiCloud] Change to use html5 player on Firefox instead of flash player.
- Adjust Adaptive QoS UI, now easier to set top priority for gaming, media streaming or web surfing.
- Enhance animated effect for progress bar of CPU/RAM and Bandwidth Monitor.
- Extend the OpenVPN key & certification field length to 4096 bits key.
- Add 3G/4G log option in Feedback.
- Media Server, minidlna updated.

3G/LTE:
- Support Huawei E3372, E303u-1, E3531s-6 dongles.

Bug fixes:
- Fixed VDAL WAN (PTM) Automatic IP connection type with no VLAN ID setting, WiFi both bands low throughput issue. Workaround solution adopted, configure with VLAN ID 0(reset to default a must).
- Fixed cloud sync issues between router and ASUS webstorage.
- Fixed share link related issue to Android devices.
- Fixed browser compatibility issues.
- Fixed GUI related issues.
- Fixed parental control-> time scheduling related issue.
- Fixed adaptive QoS device priority label dragging issue.
- Fixed UI issue when selected French.
- Fixed OpenVPN connection status display error.
- Fixed OpenVPN server account setting issue.
- Fixed the settings of Disk Health Scanner cannot be saved.
- Fixed traffic monitor data error.

anythingother

Version 3.0.0.4.378_9168

Description   ASUS DSL-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378_9168 (This product supports both Annex A and Annex B)
Release Note
-Remove mDNSNetMonitor related debug logs.
-Fixed 802.1Q enabled with VLAN ID 0 setting cannot take effect issue, 802.1Q setting reverted back to disabled

This version primarily fixes a 802.1Q related issue that previously needed a manual config change on 9166

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #426 on: October 29, 2015, 12:47:29 AM »

It's a pity this device is unusable still for most VDSL2 connections without interleaving or G.INP (or a rather high SNRM) on the downstream.

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #427 on: November 08, 2015, 01:55:32 AM »

Does this modem/router only play nice if you have a short line?

anythingother

« Reply #428 on: November 08, 2015, 06:15:40 AM »

Does this modem/router only play nice if you have a short line?
As VDSL lines all tend to be short due to the nature of the solution I assume you are talking about ADSL lines.

The main criticism of this device is the number of CRC errors it registers. In the real world I've never found that be an issue which impacted line speed or stability.

In the early days of it's release this device got a bad reputation and despite Asus working hard to fix those problems it's a reputation that has stuck.

I've used this device for over a year, mainly on ADSL and now on VDSL. It does not deserve its reputation.

Unlike many other manufacturers Asus continue to improve and bug fix the firmware, it is a much better device than it was a year ago.

It's not perfect, it still has it's quirks but it also has it's major plus points, WiFi performance being being top of that list. It has a lot of modem options to fine tune/tweak your connection. If you are looking to maximise throughput on a long line they may be useful.

People will tell you that there are better devices out there, yet when you look at those devices you will see as much moaning about their problems as there was about this one.

It's almost impossible to say whether this device will work well with your line. I can only suggest that if you decide to buy one you get it from somewhere that takes returns. Try it out, give it a chance.

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #429 on: November 08, 2015, 06:36:00 PM »

Yea I bought a Billion 8800nl (for VDSL) from amazon made sure I could return it just to test out a broadcom chipset on my line then if all goes well I would probably get a Netgear D7000 (Now the same price as a R7000 on amazon). I would have stayed away from the Asus DSL 68u but I kept checking the firmware for it and noticed they keeps fixing lots of bugs and adding things which is nice to know. I got high hopes for the D7000 if its anything like the R7000, I remember that used to have firmware buggy as hell and now its probably the best AC1900 router around, i think it had a slight edge over the RT 68U
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 06:41:02 PM by Geekofbroadband »

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #430 on: April 09, 2016, 10:29:39 PM »

Old topic I know but this router is interesting. Is it true DLM banding can be removed? Can SN margin be adjusted lower than what DLM sets?

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #431 on: April 10, 2016, 10:23:00 AM »

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but has anyone been able to remove the banding on a line using a Billion router?

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #432 on: April 10, 2016, 12:07:40 PM »

This thread is for the Asus not Billion.

Banding can not be removed on the billion but I believe it can be done on the AC68U. However I would stay clear of this device as its unstable and what put me on a banded profile in the first place.

Seriously - you need to get over the fact that you are banded. 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #433 on: April 10, 2016, 03:27:20 PM »

I've removed some unnecessary comments after this.
  Eric

dambuilder

« Reply #434 on: April 14, 2016, 10:05:43 AM »

For info; I thought last Friday I would reconnect this device as a modem/router instead of just a router connected to my HG612. I was hoping that the new firmware would work for me but alas yesterday morning Fastpath had gone. So back to the HG612 and the ASUS as router only and this morning Fastpath is back.

In addition the HG612 is now reporting that G.INP is enabled (I'm on an ECI cab) whereas last week it wasn't.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35

anything