Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 35

Author Topic: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)  (Read 297372 times)

carcuscrae

Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)
« Reply #390 on: September 01, 2015, 11:50:52 AM »

I've had to use the Sky router for the dsl and use the DSL-AC68U for all the other features in the end. No idea why the 68U can no longer get an IP  from Sky as their router picks up immediately?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #391 on: September 01, 2015, 05:03:50 PM »

sell the dsl and get the rt instead, install merlin on it and it be fine, use a hg612 as a modem.

The sky router doesnt support bridge mode so your setup is like using double nat which is messy.

loadbang

• Just arrived
« Reply #392 on: September 04, 2015, 03:14:27 PM »

Just be aware the latest firmware for the AC and DSL versions of this router the wireless has been reduced from 200mW to 80mW output power. There is no workaround for the DSL version, but the AC version can be configured via command line or by installing third party firmware by hggomes.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #393 on: September 04, 2015, 04:37:11 PM »

Just be aware the latest firmware for the AC and DSL versions of this router the wireless has been reduced from 200mW to 80mW output power. There is no workaround for the DSL version, but the AC version can be configured via command line or by installing third party firmware by hggomes.
The hggomes firmware is not available and there is some 'doubt' about it from what I can read.
I would use the RMerlin Original which can be found here http://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/ Full Sources are available to examine if so minded.

The hggomes firmware was a fork of the RMerlin Original, which did not have the Source available ...... which led to it being not available.
You can read all the 'static' about this on the same site.

Generally, due diligence is in order to decide if the Software/firmware you are installing is trustworthy.
Just because it is popular or appears to give you what you want does not obviate the need to be as sure as you can that you are not compromising your security.
This is not a snipe at hggomes or RMerlin but an attempt to raise general awareness of the potential risks.

I do actually use the RMerlin Firmware but still considered the risks first.
I was satisfied but you should NOT take my word for it.

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #394 on: September 04, 2015, 07:04:26 PM »

I thought the RT AC68U was Different to the DSL AC68U in both Hardware and CFE?

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #395 on: September 04, 2015, 07:14:50 PM »

Correct, If you look at what the RMerlin firmware supports it does not list any DSL models as they are different.
The comment was about 3rd party firmware for AC versions, which I replied to.

The supported versions are: (From Website)
Official support:
RT-N66U
RT-AC66U
RT-AC56U
RT-AC68U/RT-AC68P
RT-AC87U
RT-AC3200

loadbang

• Just arrived
« Reply #396 on: September 04, 2015, 11:01:14 PM »

Apologies. Mean between the RT and DSL models.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #397 on: September 05, 2015, 03:52:21 AM »

if you want a firmware that is maintained (For security) and doesnt have the wifi nerf asus added, then is a fork of merlin's firmware here. 

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-update-for-374-43-available-v13e1.18914/

Its source code is there for everyone and is many users including myself, in my opinion that is a trustworthy version.  Me and merlin have both had input into the fork. (the not yet released beta has some pretty sweet changes as well) :)

Note the fork uses openssl 1.0.2 whilst the official asus firmware is still using a EOL openssl branch.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 03:58:08 AM by Chrysalis »

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #398 on: September 05, 2015, 07:30:25 AM »

@Chrysalis

Thanks for that ...... Interesting.  ;D

I haven't updated the Original RMerlin s/w as I did not want to upset the DLM 'Gods' & it had been working and stable.
Might be useful to get the wi-fi working to UK regs NOT US.  :D :D

I will consult the runes and 'chicken gizzards' to see when I can dare to do an update of the Asus Router  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #399 on: September 05, 2015, 02:56:07 PM »

aardvark this is not available for the dsl model, you need an rt model.

Also an advantage of speerate modem is you can flash the router to your content with no risk on DLM :)

This is why I prefer seperate devices.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #400 on: September 05, 2015, 03:06:02 PM »

aardvark this is not available for the dsl model, you need an rt model.

Also an advantage of speerate modem is you can flash the router to your content with no risk on DLM :)

This is why I prefer seperate devices.
Sorry, I have a router that supports the firmware. (rt-ac56u)
It is just everytime I do an update something happens to force a restart of the Zyxel modem :)
Including power failures, hangs, pulling the wrong cable/plug :blush: etc
Just being ultra careful :D

anythingother

« Reply #401 on: October 07, 2015, 01:04:09 PM »

Can the DSL-AC68U be configured to use a HH5 to provide an internet connection?

Want to do some side by side WiFi speed testing.

HH5 currently connected to Infinity, within first 10 days so don't want to start connecting and disconnecting it.

Have been able to set up Asus RT kit to do this in the past but I can't seem to find a way to do it with this DSL router.

Tried just about every setting I can find but I'm either being thick or just missing something obvious.

A walk through would be useful (or a link to one). BTW Not being lazy, I have searched this and many other forums, not found anything.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:20:03 PM by anythingother »

anythingother

« Reply #402 on: October 07, 2015, 03:18:52 PM »

Worked it out.

Forgot that the Asus and the HH5 need to be on different subnets.

So it was missing something obvious (rather than me being thick).

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #403 on: October 07, 2015, 04:35:02 PM »

So how did you do it as i am just about to try something the same just a TG582N and my ASUS DSL-AC68U. Thanks in advance

anythingother

« Reply #404 on: October 07, 2015, 05:05:20 PM »

OK bear in mind I'm not exactly a technical networking expert, I've just got it to work and there may be much better ways of achieving the same. Once the line has settled I'm going to mothball the HH5 as an emergency back up.

The HH5 is set up with the IP range 192.168.2.xxx, the HH5 itself is assigned 192.168.2.254 apart from that it's configured out of the box from BT. So for this example you need to make sure your modem IP is set the same.

The DSL-AC68U is connected to the HH5 using a standard LAN cable plugged into a normal gigabit ethernet port on the HH5 (not the WAN port) that is then plugged into LAN Port 1 on the Asus.

Config for DSL-AC68U:

LAN > LANIP: IP Address: 192.168.1.1, Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

LAN > DHCP Server: Enable the DHCP Server: Yes, Domain Name: Blank (as in nothing) IP Pool Starting Address: 192.168.1.2, IP Pool Ending Address: 192.168.1.254, Lease time: 86400, Default Gateway: Blank, DNS Server: 192.168.2.254, WINS Server: Blank.

WAN> DUAL WAN: Enable Dual WAN: ON, Primary WAN: Ethernet WAN LAN Port 1 (important it's the same port that you plugged the cable into on the Asus), rest of settings not important.

WAN> Internet Connection: WAN Type: Ethernet WAN, WAN Connection Type: Static IP, Enable WAN: Yes, Enable NAT: Yes, Enable UPnP: Yes, WAN IP Setting: IP Address: 192.168.2.253, Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway: 192.168.2.254 (i.e. the IP of the HH5), WAN DNS Setting: DNS Server 1: 192.168.2.254, DNS Server 2: Blank, Account Settings: Authentication: None, Special Requirement from ISP: Host Name: Blank, MAC Address: Blank, Extend the TTL Value: No

Obviously you need to apply the settings after each screen, once it's all done go to Network Map and the Primary WAN should say connected. You can test the Internet Connectivity on the router itself using the Network Tools menu. Hopefully you can now connect a client to the Asus and get an internet connection.

Now need to duck and wait for all the comments about not doing it like that etc.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 35

anything