Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 35

Author Topic: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)  (Read 296744 times)

ardsar

• Reg Member
Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)
« Reply #240 on: November 19, 2014, 12:54:22 PM »

Asus seem to have stopped responding to me. I sent several emails last week and a router diagnostic log, heard nothing.

That's strange and disappointing. I've received correspondence over the last few days and they are currently analyzing my 12 hour log file during which the connection dropped several times.

Check your PM

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #241 on: November 19, 2014, 05:30:53 PM »

So my Billion 8800nl has been on-line for roughly 5hrs now and here are my error stats so far [below].
The ASUS has been recording approx. 2.5 million FEC errors in a 15min period, yet the Billion reports similar results to both my ZyXel and HG612

The ASUS is going back to PC World having finally received the OK from Customer Services.

[Billion Stats]
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

marjohn56

• Reg Member
« Reply #242 on: November 19, 2014, 10:42:15 PM »

Looks similar to my Draytek, apart from the fact that I am syncing 8Mbps faster than I was with the OR modem.

Please note the Draytek foobar, it states on this page sync rate in kbps, where it's actually KBps. On another page it gives it as just bps, so you need to multiply this figure by 1.024 to get the same speed. I have told them it should be kBps not kbps, however its minor. This was after 10 hours and 15 minutes, I switched the router off by accident this morning! I find it slightly annoying that the figures on the right are from the DLM, and appear never go back to zero unless the DLM is reset. It's over two weeks since the DLM was reset and most of the error count is down to the short periods I had the Asus online. I always get the DS UAS as27 or 28 seconds too, that appears to be the negotiation time.

Just dug my receipt out, going to do the same as you.

OPNsense 18.* - Billion Bridge - Qotom Q355G4 - ISP - ZEN U.K.

Team Rebellion Member

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #243 on: November 19, 2014, 10:59:05 PM »

After 10hrs uptime my FEC errors on the BiPac 8800nl are minimal compared to the ASUS.

Since Link time = 10 hours 32 min 58 sec
FEC:            236772          3310
CRC:            4               0
ES:             1               0
SES:            0               0
UAS:            0               0
LOS:            0               0
LOF:            0               0
LOM:            0               0

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #244 on: November 20, 2014, 12:39:09 PM »

Thanks to geneva78 over at the OcUK forum for sharing, there's new firmware from ASUS for further testing. I'll be trying it this afternoon.

DSL-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376_2143-test.trx
https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/B4D64C8A6D6F4C4BBF2DEDB56ADACE984

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #245 on: November 20, 2014, 02:54:25 PM »

Update 2:
I'm now testing this by forcing fastpath on the downstream. I've kept the sync rate at 49Mbps maximum for the moment, just INP is 0 and delay is 1ms (fastpath). SNRM is approximately 16dB with an attainable downstream rate of 95392.

---

Update 1:
Test concluded. FEC count is now rising every second again. Test failed?

---

Am now on the new firmware, an interesting observation so far is the SNR and bitloading graphs.

Previous firmware:

Newest test firmware (2143):

As you should see, the newest test firmware produces smoother graphs and makes use of tones nearer the end of the 17MHz, where the older version doesn't. Bear in mind for the above graphs I have UPBO disabled (yes I know it causes some crosstalk, yes I'll be disabling it, but at this point I'm trying anything to see if I can get reduce the FEC's to a count similar to that of the HG612).

Early days yet, all depends on if the FEC goes into the tens or hundreds of millions after 24-48 hours of uptime.

Code: [Select]
near-end path0 fec:       2255(2255)
snear-end path0 crc:    0(0)
near-end fec sec:       35(35)
=near-end err sec:      0(0)
near-end ses sec:       0(0)
near-end los sec:       0(0)
near-end ua  sec:       0(0)
far-end path0 fec:      0(129580)
far-end path0 crc:      0(1120)
far-end fec sec:        0(3925)
far-end err sec:        0(969)
far-end ses sec:        0(0)
far-end los sec:        0(233)
far-end ua  sec:        0(12793)
fwVer= FwVer:5.5.1.125_B_A60901 HwVer:T14.F7_0.1
lineState=up
Opmode=ITU G.993.2(VDSL2)
SNRMarginDown=12.2 dB
AttenDown=10.5 dB
SNRMarginUp=12.2 dB
AttenUp=0.1 dB
DataRateDown=48999 kbps
DataRateUp=19999 kbps
WanListMode=0
FECDown=2255
FECUp=0
CRCDown=0
CRCUp=0
HECDown=0
HECUp=0
ADSLUpTime=11 min, 52 secs
ADSLActiveTime=0 min, 18 secs
PowerDown=11.7 dbm
PowerUp=8.8 dbm
AttainUp=32919
AttainDown=110312
ShowtimeStart=18
TotalStart=18
ATURANSIRev=0
ATUCANSIRev=0
ATURANSIStd=0
ATUCANSIStd=0
InterleaveDepth=1517
AdslStandard=VDSL2
AdslType=ANNEX_B
mtenStandard=G.dmt.bisplus
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 03:45:00 PM by Ixel »

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #246 on: November 20, 2014, 06:54:35 PM »

Just got a full refund no quibble after 6 weeks , they are being returned thick n fast the guy said at PC World 

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #247 on: November 20, 2014, 09:03:08 PM »

Well, conclusion from my testing is that this test firmware hasn't helped. The underlying problem still exists. In order to keep a stable connection I must remain on interleaving. If I want to go on fastpath I must maintain at least an SNRM of 15dB or higher on the downstream in order to maintain a stable connection with some error seconds. All problems are via the downstream, the upstream is fine whether it's fastpath or not.

The only reasons I'm sticking to this device is because it allows me to override the speed banding, meaning I'm now able to sync at 75Mbps~ with interleaving rather than DLM's speed banding of 49Mbps with interleaving. If it wasn't for that then I would be complaining to broadbandbuyer stating that this device is badly designed (not fit for purpose) and that I would like a refund applied as a credit on the account (as I bought it used, grade B). I'm hoping eventually ASUS will hit on the problem and fix it, but assuming they are making changes in each version, they are still continuing on releasing various beta/test firmwares it seems.

babis3g

« Reply #248 on: November 21, 2014, 09:15:12 AM »

with my adsl connection the spectrum frequencies are wider (better) & more clear with the _2143_test

marjohn56

• Reg Member
« Reply #249 on: November 21, 2014, 09:45:53 AM »

Just got a full refund no quibble after 6 weeks , they are being returned thick n fast the guy said at PC World

Sadly mine has gone to keep yours company.
OPNsense 18.* - Billion Bridge - Qotom Q355G4 - ISP - ZEN U.K.

Team Rebellion Member

babis3g

« Reply #250 on: November 21, 2014, 12:04:27 PM »

Well, conclusion from my testing is that this test firmware hasn't helped. The underlying problem still exists. In order to keep a stable connection I must remain on interleaving. If I want to go on fastpath I must maintain at least an SNRM of 15dB or higher on the downstream in order to maintain a stable connection with some error seconds. All problems are via the downstream, the upstream is fine whether it's fastpath or not.

The only reasons I'm sticking to this device is because it allows me to override the speed banding, meaning I'm now able to sync at 75Mbps~ with interleaving rather than DLM's speed banding of 49Mbps with interleaving. If it wasn't for that then I would be complaining to broadbandbuyer stating that this device is badly designed (not fit for purpose) and that I would like a refund applied as a credit on the account (as I bought it used, grade B). I'm hoping eventually ASUS will hit on the problem and fix it, but assuming they are making changes in each version, they are still continuing on releasing various beta/test firmwares it seems.
if you don't mind because you testing different options (as i don't have vdsl) ... can you try the following with the new beta, at least for few minutes to see if errors are increasing
Set manually vdsl2
annex B
all disable
and enable vector g 993.5

once the modem will attempt to re-synchronize, will be good to give a manual reboot from the back button once the 100% process done
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 12:07:58 PM by babis3g »

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #251 on: November 21, 2014, 12:15:41 PM »

Sadly mine has gone to keep yours company.

I was kind of sorry to let it go but I'm buggered if I'm paying £160 for a half functional device.
Had ASUS been a bit more reassuring over fixing it and forthcoming about issues then I might have kept it.
I still haven't received any reply to my emails sent on the 8/10th November.

The way I see it is they owe this group and others a big thanks for all their feedback/testing as well as a big apology.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #252 on: November 21, 2014, 01:48:44 PM »

if you don't mind because you testing different options (as i don't have vdsl) ... can you try the following with the new beta, at least for few minutes to see if errors are increasing
Set manually vdsl2
annex B
all disable
and enable vector g 993.5

once the modem will attempt to re-synchronize, will be good to give a manual reboot from the back button once the 100% process done

Already tried similar settings with 'annex A', setting 'annex B' doesn't work on UK VDSL2 as it's 'annex A' here. Sadly it produces the same level of errors.

I'm still playing around with mine, at the moment I'm trying various things such as changes to 'agc_vref' beyond the range on the GUI.

EDIT 1:
I've reduced agc_vref to 0. I'll post results later today and keep everyone updated. When I set agc_vref to some higher number than usual, I get much more errors, so I figured I'd try 0 (which I imagine either stops boosting it or disables it. Rx AGC gain on the GUI when set to disabled appears to just make the agc_vref 440 (which is still gaining as I see it?). Maybe this is causing all of our errors on VDSL2?

EDIT 2:
Test concluded. After 4 hours the FEC has started exponentially rising :(. I will try this out on fastpath later this evening with the same agc_vref, but I doubt it's going to help long term.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:57:40 PM by Ixel »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #253 on: November 21, 2014, 07:12:42 PM »

Ixel something is up if a line of your spec needs interleaving.  Especially if it struggles at 9db snrm as well.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #254 on: November 21, 2014, 08:46:52 PM »

Ixel something is up if a line of your spec needs interleaving.  Especially if it struggles at 9db snrm as well.

Well, some of the problem is clearly this device, but I do think there is something wrong with the line again - however I'm not prepared to risk paying a callout fee so I'll just make the best of what I can. Nothing really obvious has shown up in the Hlog or QLN graphs when on the HG612 unfortunately. I'll persist with this device as it's the most customisable option out there at the moment.

Later tonight I will try putting the DSL-AC68U back on fastpath with the current agc_vref setting (0 instead of 440) to see what happens, as having it on interleaved isn't a fair and harsh test for it. The HG612 has held on at 49Mbps on fastpath in the past. I've had 74Mbps on the ECI /r with fastpath as well (although unable to get that currently as DLM banded me).
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 35

anything