Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 35

Author Topic: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)  (Read 296714 times)

ShadyBloke

• Just arrived
Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)
« Reply #210 on: November 16, 2014, 09:24:38 AM »

What firmware are people here using? I'm using 2139 with dsl modem firmware version 1.0.1.9. I was from a link sent to me by support on the 12/11/2014 at:

https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/75FF2D0BB7494B5BAB7235698A63DE58Y

it appears to be slightly newer that the firmware you guys are using (2050?).

On another note. With my 'stability adjustment' set to 11dB it forces the SNR Margin up to around 11dB and most of my CRC down errors disappear. However it pretty much caps my line speed at around 30 Mb/s down. setting to 9dB gets me the highest download speed at around 32-33 Mb/s. But I get around 20 CRC's per a minute which translates to occasion glitches/ jitter in transmission which can be annoying. Any lower than 9dB and the CRC's trash the performance.

With this control disabled, SNR down margin is at around 5.5dB I connect at over 40Mb/s, but I get around 1000 crc's a minute which destroys download speed and leaves me with around a 10MB/s download speed... I can only assume the defaults the ASUS modem connects with are overly optimistic. Its annoying as with my old BT modem and HH3 combo I would get 38Mb/s down. I did get occasional glitches with that combo, but I never unlocked the firmware and I never bothered checking what these were being caused by, or my SNR margin etc.

For the moment I'm going to leave this control on at around 11dB and see how it performs. It's 10Mb/s less than I would like, but still, it's quick enough for the moment.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #211 on: November 16, 2014, 09:26:28 AM »

Touch wood I maybe on to a winner!!

Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

babis3g

« Reply #212 on: November 16, 2014, 09:53:33 AM »

i have notice when all settings are disable is performing better but still needs work

however suddenly starts going funny so all mess up
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 09:56:43 AM by babis3g »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #213 on: November 16, 2014, 10:14:23 AM »

What firmware are people here using? I'm using 2139 with dsl modem firmware version 1.0.1.9. I was from a link sent to me by support on the 12/11/2014 at:

https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/75FF2D0BB7494B5BAB7235698A63DE58Y

it appears to be slightly newer that the firmware you guys are using (2050?).

On another note. With my 'stability adjustment' set to 11dB it forces the SNR Margin up to around 11dB and most of my CRC down errors disappear. However it pretty much caps my line speed at around 30 Mb/s down. setting to 9dB gets me the highest download speed at around 32-33 Mb/s. But I get around 20 CRC's per a minute which translates to occasion glitches/ jitter in transmission which can be annoying. Any lower than 9dB and the CRC's trash the performance.

With this control disabled, SNR down margin is at around 5.5dB I connect at over 40Mb/s, but I get around 1000 crc's a minute which destroys download speed and leaves me with around a 10MB/s download speed... I can only assume the defaults the ASUS modem connects with are overly optimistic. Its annoying as with my old BT modem and HH3 combo I would get 38Mb/s down. I did get occasional glitches with that combo, but I never unlocked the firmware and I never bothered checking what these were being caused by, or my SNR margin etc.

For the moment I'm going to leave this control on at around 11dB and see how it performs. It's 10Mb/s less than I would like, but still, it's quick enough for the moment.

On 2139 here. Is your connection interleaved or fastpath? I've noticed a similar trend since increasing my downstream SNRM. I wonder if the modem chipset/firmware isn't suitably designed to handle a lower SNRM.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #214 on: November 16, 2014, 10:15:08 AM »

Touch wood I maybe on to a winner!!

Apologies for double post, forgot to include...

What are your settings again? The most recent you posted or different?

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #215 on: November 16, 2014, 11:19:52 AM »

Slightly different...

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #216 on: November 16, 2014, 03:03:59 PM »

OK i'm being brave and giving this latest firmware a run.

One thing I have noticed is that the DSL log states im on fastpath, yet via telnet my interleave depth is at 423 and I have FEC counting up. Clearly im not on fastpath!

Ive set the target S/N to 7db (which gives similar speed to the ECI modem) and currently I have 2 CRC errors after 42mins. I suspect the CRC will increase when the S/N drops close to 6db later this evening.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #217 on: November 16, 2014, 03:16:06 PM »

I have my doubts that the Asus reports Interleaving/Fastpath correctly.

I did 2 comparisons last week using the Asus and ZyXel.
On the Asus it reported my interleaving depth at 856 yet on the ZyXel it was 443.

I also think the 'Max Data/Attainable Rate' calculation on the Asus is wrong.
On 4 different devices my attainable rate is usually 64-68mbps, on the Asus it is around 86mbps.

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #218 on: November 16, 2014, 03:21:35 PM »

max attainable is wrong because it looks like it is using the wrong method to calculate line attention. Asus reports my line attenuation as 19.4dB whereas the HH5 and the ECI state around 25dB. I suspect the Asus is just measuring the S/N on the pilot tone rather than the average of each band.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #219 on: November 16, 2014, 03:25:08 PM »

I raised this with Asus last week but so far they haven't answered my question.
My theory is that its this that's causing line instability for so many.

My question to Asus...

Going back to something I mentioned to you earlier this week about my 'Max Attainable Rate' being anything up to 20mbps higher on the Asus than on any other device I own. Just a theory, I'm wondering if there's a bug in the firmware that is responsible for calculating maximum attainable rate in G993.2 VDSL2 mode.

A few AC68U owners I have been in contact with all seem to have a higher rate than with other devices. Could this be responsible for the line instability issues people are experiencing? Something doesn't seem quite right.

Is there a chance this could be looked at?

I'm just waiting on PC World customer support to give me the nod on returning this device. I have the ZyXel I purchased on the cheap a couple of weeks ago and that will be sufficient for me I think for a while. I bought the Asus having purchased primarily Asus devices in the past (laptop, tablets, motherboards etc) and expected better. I may yet opt to swap the device for the RT Wifi/Router version and run in-conjunction with the ZyXel to give me dual band wifi.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:11:49 PM by simoncraddock »

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #220 on: November 16, 2014, 05:29:20 PM »

Well as predicted as s/n approaches 6db crc error rate is increasing.  Back to eci with Asus just as a router. 

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

babis3g

« Reply #221 on: November 16, 2014, 06:07:59 PM »

off topic

i had screenshot & guide for using the router stats lite with the ac68u

Now i have make it work with the normal router stats

just use the <td>  send it at right tabs... i have set the user 1 & 2 for the errors as well
Note the errors (600 down & 1.200 up) is becuse we have really bad rain here
Really great tool & works good
If any one know the telnet to make it show & the snr spectrum in the telnet will be great

Note all works good ... upstream/downstream snr, speed up/down, errors up/down (via user defined 1 & 2 ) just in the screenshot i make mistake & can not be bother to upload new one, sorry

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 06:11:46 PM by babis3g »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #222 on: November 16, 2014, 08:32:32 PM »

If I don't stay on INP 3 with an 8ms delay then the router most certainly reports far more errors, enough to cause at least two random disconnections each day. I will disable bitswapping again later tonight as I currently have it enabled again. Target SNRM is at 12dB at the moment and DS3 tones are disabled (I will re-enable them later this evening and experiment with disabling all tones where ADSL crosstalk exists, just to see if it helps my situation at all though I doubt it).

At the moment it looks like I need to maintain an SNRM of at least 10dB and an INP of 3 with a delay of 8ms in order to maintain a mostly error free (excluding FEC count) downstream.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #223 on: November 16, 2014, 08:40:47 PM »

Sooner or later I think your going to have to admit defeat and either get rid of it or run it as a router only unless Asus can pull off a miracle soon. I'm tired of being an unexpected and unwanted beta tester, I lost faith in it last week but wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt with the latest firmware. If I get DLM'D again tonight despite record low CRC errors then thats it I give up and it will go back as faulty.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 08:46:39 PM by simoncraddock »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #224 on: November 16, 2014, 09:09:10 PM »

Sooner or later I think your going to have to admit defeat and either get rid of it or run it as a router only unless Asus can pull off a miracle soon. I'm tired of being an unexpected and unwanted beta tester, I lost faith in it last week but wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt with the latest firmware. If I get DLM'D again tonight despite record low CRC errors then thats it I give up and it will go back as faulty.

Well, sadly I bought it used grade B so I have no option of returning it for a refund from broadbandbuyer. So worst case I guess it'll have to sit in a cupboard collecting dust.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 35