Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35

Author Topic: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)  (Read 296675 times)

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)
« Reply #165 on: October 27, 2014, 10:48:51 AM »

I already had a open case from 2 weeks prior which they said was fixed last week but I complained that they hadn't reset my IP profile. Tier2 support then checked my line and said they were still showing a fault and would schedule an engineer to come out on Wednesday to check my line again and reset my IP Profile.
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #166 on: October 27, 2014, 11:55:47 AM »

I still recommend to use broadcom based modems and also I probably recommend the billion over the zyxel if you want stability and unbuggy firmware.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #167 on: October 27, 2014, 11:58:50 AM »

I only paid £50 for the ZyXel so it's not a bad buy.

I have both a HG612 (unlocked) and a ECI B-FOCuS V-2FUb/r Rev.B possibly to sell if it performs well.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #168 on: October 27, 2014, 01:43:43 PM »

I'll post some graphs later tomorrow now that I've got the graphs pretty much the way I want them to show. Should be releasing the app soon.

Unfortunately while the beta firmware seems stable for me, I'm still getting a trickle of 1-2 CRC's every 1-4 minutes. During the daytime it seems far worse than at night, usually CRC's every 1-2 minutes, but at night it's both less often and less CRC's overall. I don't think I'm going to be able to get rid of the DLM banding anytime soon, even though my attainable is 98/21 (reduced transmit power to achieve a higher downstream and but lower upstream, to try and reduce CRC's). Stuck on 49/15 at the moment, definitely below the estimates for both clean and impacted ranges.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #169 on: October 28, 2014, 07:41:39 PM »

I've uploaded some graphs/charts from today at http://imgur.com/a/jHtL2

I've noticed there's a pattern to the CRC's, during daylight there's a lot more CRC's than there are when it's dark. For some reason the SNR glitched with the device reporting a 51dB DS SNR at one point. Waiting for the MK3 SSFP and toroid ferrite to arrive, hopefully this week. The error seconds aren't likely to be completely accurate as the statistics from the device only update every 10 seconds.

I think I might plug in the HG612 I have and take a look at the hlog and qln to see if much has changed since some months ago, perhaps use it for a couple of days and also compare CRC's and see if that follows a similar pattern to the ASUS DSL-AC68U.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:16:36 PM by Ixel »

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #170 on: October 29, 2014, 11:41:38 AM »

Interesting.

My CRC's seem to be worse during the evening / at night however i'm not sure due to constant resyncs.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #171 on: October 29, 2014, 12:22:56 PM »

BT finally tested and reset my profile today, ASUS started recording CRC errors immediately.
That's it for now, had enough of messing so I've connected the ECI OpenReach Modem up to it and it can stay like that.

:no:

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #172 on: October 29, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »

From what I've seen on my line, connecting the Asus results in a higher sync and also reports attainable rates 10M higher than with the ECI. Currently I have had the ECI connected for 3 days to try and recover my line and it is currently syncing at 25M. If I were to connect the asus I know it would sync at aaround 29M.

The ECI modem is currently reporting max attainable of 31M, whereas asus would report anything between 38 - 44MB!

I suspect the asus is more sensitive and hence the higher attainable and sync rates. However with this increase in sensitivity comes instability. Either that or the firmware has serious issues at identifying what the line is capable of.

Such as shame.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #173 on: October 29, 2014, 12:40:01 PM »

Indeed. I'm waiting for the MK3 SSFP and ferrite toroid to arrive, if neither help the CRC's then I'll plug in the HG612 and see what results that has. Otherwise I'll go back to the ECI /r until the line speed eventually recovers. If it's like my 60/20 banding last time then it will be several months before DLM puts me back to 80/20.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #174 on: October 29, 2014, 12:47:51 PM »

This was my comparison:

ASUS:   Max Rate:  DS=78500 mbps  US=22448 mbps
ASUS:   Data Rate: DS=58363 mbps US=20000 mbps

BTOM:  Data Rate: DS=58280 mbps Us=18900 mbps (using speed test)

Very little difference really on the actual final data rate.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:51:28 PM by simoncraddock »

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #175 on: October 29, 2014, 12:49:17 PM »

I am already using the MK3 faceplate - have had it for a few weeks now.  :(

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #176 on: October 29, 2014, 02:48:05 PM »

I ignore variances on the attainable rate, just look at the actual sync rate to determine if a FW performs better.

On my billion 8800nl the snrm fluctuates by small amounts, on my DS maybe 0.1db or so yet the DS attainable can suddenly jump up by 3mbit or so on a 0.1db snrm change.

So if 2 different devices have the same sync speed, same snrm but report different attainables, really its just one guessing different to the other.

ardsar

• Reg Member
ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)
« Reply #177 on: October 29, 2014, 03:20:17 PM »

I ignore variances on the attainable rate, just look at the actual sync rate to determine if a FW performs better.

On my billion 8800nl the snrm fluctuates by small amounts, on my DS maybe 0.1db or so yet the DS attainable can suddenly jump up by 3mbit or so on a 0.1db snrm change.

So if 2 different devices have the same sync speed, same snrm but report different attainables, really its just one guessing different to the other.

That's the point. The Asus on my line syncs a lot higher than either the home hub 5 or the eci modem at the same s/n. Asus generally connects around 29m down whilst eci is currently connected at 26 with 6db margin. I guess 3M higher is not much for those on an 70m line but it is for us that struggle lol.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #178 on: October 29, 2014, 04:04:34 PM »

thats fine.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2014, 09:20:58 PM »

Posting some more graphs from my device - http://imgur.com/a/KuMmt

What mostly peaks my curiousity is the major fluctuation on the SNR for both US and DS between 16:30~ to 21:00~. I haven't noticed this before. I imagine this could either be something interfering with the connection and relates to the CRC errors I have, or possibly a fault beginning to show itself, or perhaps it's just the ASUS's modem? Obviously without a Hlog and QLN there's no real easy for anyone here to analyse this I'd assume.

I'm really hoping the MK3 SSFP will arrive tomorrow at the very least, as soon as it does I'll probably run the ASUS for another 24-48 hours to observe if it has helped or not. After that, if it hasn't helped or a problem may still exist, then I'll switch to the HG612, start logging and then make a thread in the FTTC issues section. I hope it's not another possibility of a battery contact again.

EDIT: Updated album. Seems I had a disconnection shortly after that (a major CRC spike again). Since reconnection my power has changed, SNRM is a tad lower on downstream (though I believe stabilised), and less errors occurring at the moment. Also around 11:45am I did a reconnection myself (switching from MK1 to MK2 SSFP as I was comparing).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:29:23 PM by Ixel »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35