Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 35

Author Topic: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)  (Read 296715 times)

andy66

Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2014, 04:20:06 PM »

Im getting confused now...... I thought BT used Annex B.

As burakkucat enlightened me
I would just like to make a comment regarding the "Annex" setting.

As I am sure you appreciate, there are two annexes -- one for the physical infrastructure and one for the VDSL2 mode band plans. The UK uses Annex A for the physical infrastructure (xDSL over POTS) and uses Annex B for the VDSL2 mode band plans, as deployed by Beattie.

They are two separate, distinct and unconnected annexes -- which can be a snare for the unwary (e.g. support agents).  :-X

So as I now understand it, from the VDSL2 spec, https://www.itu.int/rec/dologin_pub.asp?lang=e&id=T-REC-G.993.2-201112-I!!PDF-E&type=items

The UK used a Europe bandplan as defined in ANNEX B of the VSDL2 spec.
There is just one bandplan in Annex A and it's for the USA.

However these bandplans have variants for whether they are over POTS or ISDN. The spec says:
"Different variants are defined for band plans 997, 998, 998E17, 998E30, 998ADE17 and 998ADE30 to accommodate different underlying services (POTS and ISDN), and different US0 bandwidths."

Now Annex A of some physical infrastructure spec is xDSL over POTS, and Annex B is xDSL over ISDN.

So openreach uses an ANNEX B bandplan from the VDSL2 spec (G.993.2) over an Annex A (from some spec) physical infrastructure.

[ some is probably G.992.1 : https://www.itu.int/rec/dologin_pub.asp?lang=e&id=T-REC-G.992.1-199907-I!!PDF-E&type=items ]

I now believe the ASUS "DSL Setting" -> "Annex Mode" setting to refers to the physical infrastructure not the G.993.2 annex.  It can justifiably be in the DSL settings as it determines which variant of the the bandplan is used.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 04:35:28 PM by andy66 »

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2014, 04:46:28 PM »

Correct I hope Asus reword the DSL LOG to state Bandplan  rather than Annex Mode,  it's confusing. The installation guide shows nothing at all about DSL SETTINGS which is rather poor.

If I can get to the 24hr mark with my current settings I'm hoping I've cracked the VDSL2 settings for this device to remain stable.
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2014, 05:49:14 PM »

No such luck here, tried the latest firmware three times now and all three attempts end up with thousands of CRC errors which eventually cause loss of sync (even with factory reset and then matching the settings here).

Version ending 693 is fine, though 1-2 CRC's occur every minute or two plus an occasional spike of CRC errors (a dozen or so). I'm wondering if it's worth me trying versions 2048, 2049 and 2050 to see if they make any difference? Clearly there must still be something not quite right in the latest version.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2014, 06:12:52 PM »

I still think you have a line fault of some kind. Have you asked bt to run a test at all?

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2014, 06:40:17 PM »

I still think you have a line fault of some kind. Have you asked bt to run a test at all?

I agree. Nope I haven't asked for a test from Zen, I don't believe I have sufficient reason to request a test / report a fault :(. I do remember the last engineer a few months ago, or possibly a year ago (can't remember) saying he did something at the cabinet with my pair as his device detected a battery contact fault (or something to that effect). Although the line seemed fine at the time, he still spent around 3 hours here going through the cabinet and manholes to trace the problem. I'm pretty sure I remember him saying that even though whatever he did with the pair (swapped wires or something) in the cabinet fixed most of the battery contact fault, it still partially lingered but due to time constraints he couldn't spend anymore time on the job.

I pay for the Zen Unlimited Fibre Office package, which is the most expensive package but comes with critical care - although I don't believe that entitles me to still ask for a test / report a fault if the line is synced at 74/20 (BT estimates a high 74.1Mbps and low of 64.3Mbps - clean). I don't think they'll see CRC errors as a fault, but maybe I'm wrong, what do you think? Do you think it's also worth me testing the other versions?

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2014, 06:49:45 PM »

If your synch is that high which is almost the same as mine I think you have every right as it should be a clean line really at those speeds.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2014, 07:09:49 PM »

I agree.

I get this on the HG612, which I assumed was normal due to an incompatibility between Huawei modem's chipset and the ECI cabinet, I also had this on the Fritz!Box 7390 (when I owned one) and a similar CRC rate on the Cisco 887VA (when I owned one). The ECI /r has been the only device to date which keeps the line on fastpath, although capped at 74/20 (in the past it has been 60/20, but that I believe was due to something I did). I'm eager to see what DLM does tomorrow morning.

I'll open a thread in the FTTC section and see what general consensus is regarding whether I should get the confidence together in believing I'm right to ask for a test / report a potential problem with the state of the CRC errors. It's quite frustrating as it's only a minor CRC error (2 at best) every minute or two, you could count like clockwork pretty much, except for the less often occasional CRC error spike, and as a result all these add up the ES to a high number which may eventually cause DLM to intervene. I'd like to know what the ECI /r says in regards to CRC errors, but unfortunately the statistics from that aren't reliable.

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2014, 07:15:29 PM »

Good news - I didn't get DLM'd. I couldn't resist - I had to play again lol. Im now on latest firmware and my first connection was at 30324MB down. Settings were

RX Gain - Stable
SRA - Disabled
Bitswap Enabled
INP - Disabled

Over the past hour, my CRC has been increasing totalling around 1800 - but I would expect that at such a high sync rate and a S/N dropping to 5.3dB. The line then dropped, and it re-synced at 29453MB S/N 6.0dB Now that I guess is how it is supposed to work? Im wondering if disabling SRA is the big player here because u=in the past there was never a clean transition. .....or it may just be a fluke? Andy thoughts?

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2014, 07:20:35 PM »

No such luck here, tried the latest firmware three times now and all three attempts end up with thousands of CRC errors which eventually cause loss of sync (even with factory reset and then matching the settings here).

Version ending 693 is fine, though 1-2 CRC's occur every minute or two plus an occasional spike of CRC errors (a dozen or so). I'm wondering if it's worth me trying versions 2048, 2049 and 2050 to see if they make any difference? Clearly there must still be something not quite right in the latest version.

Whats your S/N? Appreciate you have a fast connection, but if your S/N is low then expect CRC errors. If it is high which i'm guessing yours is then something is not right........

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2014, 07:32:50 PM »

Whats your S/N? Appreciate you have a fast connection, but if your S/N is low then expect CRC errors. If it is high which i'm guessing yours is then something is not right........

Hovers between 8.5 to 9dB. I've even briefly tried adjusting the stability thingy to 13dB, it still produces a similar amount of CRC's.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2014, 07:38:48 PM »

Good news - I didn't get DLM'd. I couldn't resist - I had to play again lol. Im now on latest firmware and my first connection was at 30324MB down. Settings were

RX Gain - Stable
SRA - Disabled
Bitswap Enabled
INP - Disabled

Over the past hour, my CRC has been increasing totalling around 1800 - but I would expect that at such a high sync rate and a S/N dropping to 5.3dB. The line then dropped, and it re-synced at 29453MB S/N 6.0dB Now that I guess is how it is supposed to work? Im wondering if disabling SRA is the big player here because u=in the past there was never a clean transition. .....or it may just be a fluke? Andy thoughts?

I'm also curious to know if by having SRA enabled alongside BITSWAP is the root cause of instability. I know VDSL2 from BT doesn't support SRA, it was dropped from on anything above ADSL2. I've left G.INP enabled and so far it doesn't appear to have any negative impact and I've held a connection for roughly 20 hours now.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 07:41:03 PM by simoncraddock »

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2014, 07:45:12 PM »

RX Gain - Stable
SRA - Disabled
Bitswap Enabled
INP - Disabled

I'm also curious to know if by having SRA enabled alongside BITSWAP is the root cause of instability. I know VDSL2 from BT doesn't support SRA, it was dropped from on anything above ADSL2. I've left G.INP enabled and so far it doesn't appear to have any negative impact and I've held a connection for roughly 20 hours now.

From what I understand SRA allows a change in rate without a full sync. In my case I'm wondering whether when the error rate got too high the modem was expecting a transition but as Bt do not support it, it couldn't happen. This then caused errors to increase and continuous interruptions. What's interesting is that I have not had the flashing exclamation mark yet telling me my connection is unstable.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2014, 07:52:40 PM »

I've just done a quick google and found this article which details a ADSL2+ connection from a HG612 modem.

http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/2011/09/01/understanding-the-vdsl2-stats-from-the-hg612/

Towards the bottom line 257, note SRA=OFF
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 07:55:27 PM by simoncraddock »

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2014, 09:45:55 PM »

Well I had another re sync followed by 7000crc errors in 3 mins. I pulled the plug and gone back to eci modem. Really had enough now.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2014, 10:13:07 PM »

can you access the stats on that modem to see if the crc errors are still present?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 35

anything