Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35

Author Topic: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)  (Read 296685 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2014, 09:58:02 PM »

I believe DLM is 2880 ES per day but it is possible they take measurements more than once a day so e.g. if they do it every 2 hours and the ES for those 2 hours is more than 240 then DLM kicks in next day.

Data is collected every 15mins

each of the 96 bins are checked to see if there has been user activity and marked active or dormant. Any instability during inactive or dormant periods is ignored as the end-user will have been unlikely to have been affected by this.

Uptime is calculated from the active bins and any data indicative of instability during these periods is normalised.

Errors and resyncs are normalised to the uptime.  This is calculated by dividing the total time in seconds for which the respective line has been in synchronisation and in active use over the past 24-hour period of the monitoring by the number of re-trains or errors recorded in that period

Not finished yet which is why its not live http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2014, 10:04:02 PM »

Interesting, that's a heck of a lot of ES and CRC! I'll be updating the ASUS firmware to the latest version very late this evening (most likely gone midnight when nobody here is using the internet). In the next couple of days, if things remain reasonably stable (need to try and reduce or eliminate the CRC errors on the downstream), I'll test disabling UPBO again and compare the statistics and graphs. It's a shame that the SNR graph doesn't show the upstream and only the downstream.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2014, 10:23:44 PM »

I would just like to make a comment regarding the "Annex" setting.

As I am sure you appreciate, there are two annexes -- one for the physical infrastructure and one for the VDSL2 mode band plans. The UK uses Annex A for the physical infrastructure (xDSL over POTS) and uses Annex B for the VDSL2 mode band plans, as deployed by Beattie.

They are two separate, distinct and unconnected annexes -- which can be a snare for the unwary (e.g. support agents).  :-X

After roughly 5.5hrs solid on Annex B/J/M, I'm now trying Annex A out of curiousity.
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2014, 10:55:37 PM »

I don't know the exact DLM threshold, but I assume it's somewhere around 750-1250 ES in a 24 hour period based on my past experiences of DLM. Re-syncing is another concern, though I assume once per hour or two is reasonably safe? I will try UPBO again later today if so. UPBO is currently enabled.

EDIT:
Found it, nevermind. If Zen's correct, they say on the 'speed' profile it's no more than 2 ES every 1 minute (2880 ES in a 24 hour? Is it really that high?), and no more than 1 re-sync every 1 hour and 12 minutes (ideally, it does however state 20 re-syncs in a 24 hour period, but I'll go for the 1 hour and 12 minute guideline I calculated myself). Source: http://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Fibre-Optic-Broadband-FTTC-What-is-DLM-and-how-does-it-work

All the evidence seems to go against that.  For eg the other weeks maxdsl had 5 resyncs before the DLM got him.   The amount of resyncs was confirmed by sight of a graph of his RADIUS logins.    He had hardly any errors.. something like 100 for the whole day.

I should have been keeping better track of mine.   The DLM has stricken me 2 days in a row now.   Day 1 I had 2 LOS.  Day 2 I had 2 resyncs when I swapped router - I left the line down for a couple of hours whilst I went out before putting the other router on. 

These are my errors for the past 24hrs.. and Im waiting to see what happens tomorrow, as interleaving and banding doesnt seem to have culled my errors.

Code: [Select]
Total time = 1 days 40 min 46 sec
FEC:            0               15094366
CRC:            5799            49183
ES:             57              2132
SES:            10              1
UAS:            65              65
LOS:            1               0
LOF:            7               0
LOM:            0               0

to confirm kitz yesterday you had less than 2880 ES and DLM still took further action?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2014, 10:57:35 PM »

I believe DLM is 2880 ES per day but it is possible they take measurements more than once a day so e.g. if they do it every 2 hours and the ES for those 2 hours is more than 240 then DLM kicks in next day.

Data is collected every 15mins

each of the 96 bins are checked to see if there has been user activity and marked active or dormant. Any instability during inactive or dormant periods is ignored as the end-user will have been unlikely to have been affected by this.

Uptime is calculated from the active bins and any data indicative of instability during these periods is normalised.

Errors and resyncs are normalised to the uptime.  This is calculated by dividing the total time in seconds for which the respective line has been in synchronisation and in active use over the past 24-hour period of the monitoring by the number of re-trains or errors recorded in that period

Not finished yet which is why its not live http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM.htm

ok I am pretty sure they dont do action based on 15 min data tho as I have breached 2 ES per minute on multiple 15 min stints.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2014, 11:03:53 PM »

data is collected every 15 mins, but normalised over the days uptime period.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2014, 02:21:34 AM »

Unfortunately the new firmware with the settings shown earlier caused thousands of CRC errors, in spikes, with only a few minutes of uptime. I've disabled bitswapping and so far it's about 0.7 CRC per minute on downstream.

UPBO set to 'Auto'
SNR Down: 8.4 dB
SNR Up: 12.4 dB
Line Attenuation Down: 10.2 dB
Line Attenuation Up: 0.1 dB
Data Rate Down: 73999 kbps
Data Rate Up: 20000 kbps
MAX Rate Down: 90472
MAX Rate Up: 29542
POWER Down: 12.3 dbm
POWER Up: 6.0 dbm

UPBO set to 'Disable'
SNR Down: 8.5 dB
SNR Up: 18.8 dB
Line Attenuation Down: 10.8 dB
Line Attenuation Up: 0.1 dB
Data Rate Down: 73999 kbps
Data Rate Up: 20000 kbps
MAX Rate Down: 90716
MAX Rate Up: 38780
POWER Down: 12.0 dbm
POWER Up: 8.6 dbm

The differences are the line attenuation downstream slightly higher, upstream SNRM higher, upstream power higher, attainable upstream higher (from 29542 to 38780). Perhaps the additional upstream can be traded for a bit better downstream by reducing the tx power with UPBO disabled, this is something I will experiment with over the next few days for sure. Disabling bitswapping has so far stopped the downstream SNRM from swinging up and down by up to 1.0dB here.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:16:50 AM by Ixel »

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2014, 06:57:28 AM »

Almost 9hrs uptime with the following settings ...

Modulation : VDSL2
Annex: A
SRA: disabled
Bitswap : On
UPBO: Auto
Improved Noise Protection : On

Everything else disabled.

Will monitor it over the day.

Edit: Approx.  12 hrs no drops

Edit: Approx.  17 hrs no drops
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:33:43 PM by simoncraddock »

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2014, 08:00:42 AM »

It would appear I got DLM'd this morning, even though I was running with the old firmware. Even with the old firmware I got a spike of CRC errors around 8pm last night - 3000 in total before a resync. It's weird that it always seems to go belly up around that time. S/N was 5.7dB at the time.

Im back onto the ECI modem for now to try and get some speed back - I've only at best got 28M to start with!

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2014, 08:03:55 AM »

I'd have a guess at a possible line fault with that sudden surge.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2014, 08:54:24 AM »

Reconnections every 15 minutes here, not good. I'll try your settings.

It seemed to be fine when I left it at 3am~, then at 6am~ it started losing connection every 10-15 minutes. I don't know if the error count really shot up and caused the loss of sync sadly as I wasn't at the router at the time (just until a moment ago). I imagine DLM will bash my connection tomorrow morning :(.

EDIT:
Sadly no luck. One thing I am wondering though is if half of the settings are taking effect without rebooting. Reason I say that is because when I enabled UPBO I powered off the device first, unplugged the cable, switched it back on, changed the setting, rebooted and then plugged the cable back in and it seemed to improve the upload attainable speed (as in the previous post somewhere not long ago). However, when changing to the settings you mentioned (and re-enabling UPBO) the attainable upload speed and power levels remained the same and I didn't do a reboot this time, though it did re-sync when I applied the settings, unless of course 'Auto' just chose to keep the previous state and remembered that it was set to disabled.

I've now put the old firmware back on the device. UPBO disabled the attainable upload has returned to around 30000~. Power levels downstream and upstream are now around 6 dBm again.

I can confirm that the previous re-syncs in the early hours on the new firmware appear to have been CRC related, suddenly thousands of CRC errors until a re-sync. It must've re-sync at least 10-15 times. I dread to think what DLM will do tomorrow morning, unless I'm in another frozen state like I was on 60/20. At the moment my connection is 74/20 with no interleaving and I can easily get 80/20, I've been like this for months (since February I believe).

EDIT 2:
Definitely confirmed that changes to UPBO didn't seem to take effect on the connection unless the device was restarted (e.g. power off/on, or a reboot from ASUSWRT). So this might be the case for some of the other settings as well?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:00:57 AM by Ixel »

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2014, 11:18:01 AM »

These are my current settings, still going strong almost 13 hrs now.
No drops or CRC errors, synch speed stable at approx. 76/20

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »

These are my current settings, still going strong almost 13 hrs now.
No drops or CRC errors, synch speed stable at approx. 76/20

I see. Well I'll probably give it 48 hours (unless no further serious instability occurs) before I play with firmware and settings again, just incase DLM strikes me (if it isn't going to already :-\). This time when I do it I'll be sure to reboot/power cycle the device, before making the connection, after I've applied the DSL settings.

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2014, 11:25:38 AM »

Im getting confused now...... I thought BT used Annex B.

Just out of interest, openreach were outside my house this morning - fiddling in the manhole. He wouldn't be specific on what he was doing, but I did find it odd that a plastic bag is used to keep the rats nest dry. This is then covered by the plastic casing.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2014, 11:26:23 AM »

Its Annex A, Plan B

Currently sat at roughly 17 hrs on my latest settings, no drops, no CRC errors.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:35:02 PM by simoncraddock »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35

anything