Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 35

Author Topic: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)  (Read 296686 times)

andy66

Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2014, 07:38:04 PM »

Annex A or B related information (NOTE from DSL-N66U f/w 1.0.7.3)

My question to ASUS:
Possible bug in syslog:
Administration -> DSL Settings -> Annex Mode = Annex B/J/M   (I selected B on setup)
and yet
System Log -> DSL Log says, "Annex Mode" = "ANNEX_A"

Maybe this is related to the following that I found on the web: "For example, VDSL2 Annex B Plan B (aka Bandplan G.998) used by BT Openreach for its Profile 17a service is compatible with G993.2 Annex A for the Americas (an Annex with only one bandplan)."

Asus Reply:

For question 1, yes, they are compatible. So you can choose Annex B/J/M but running with Annex A. Our driver will choose the proper one.
However, we suggest to choose the correct mode, for your case is Annex A/I/J/L/M.

My interpretation:

1. When I selected Annex B in the quick setup for UK openreach, the DSL-N66U knew that openreach uses VDSL2 Annex B Plan B (aka Bandplan G.998), and also that this is compatible with G993.2 Annex A.
It therefore chooses to configure itself as G993.2 Annex A.  Thus G993.2 Annex A is what I see on the logs.
Asus suggest I change the configuration to select Annex A/I/J/L/M directly.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2014, 07:54:57 PM »

On the DSL-AC68U during set up your not asked in the quick set up for a ANNEX mode.

It auto detects Annex B and simply reports this in the DSL LOG.

I have my suspicions that DSL SETTINGS is set to a default across the board because...

DSL MODULATION is set to Multimode not VDSL2
VDSL PROFILE is set to 30a multimode not 17a

If the set up process was truly automated to suit the service chosen these really should be set accordingly.

Hence why I have a suspicion now that Annex Mode also needs setting manually.

At the top of the DSL SETTINGS page it does say "Please contact your ISP to obtain your DSL settings before doing any changes" which does kind of suggest you do need to set these accordingly.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:10:28 PM by simoncraddock »
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

andy66

« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2014, 08:01:25 PM »

The newer DSL-N66U f/w 1.0.7.7 does not ask for mode either.

Note I did set the Annex mode manually to B, yet the log still stated A was being used.

Also Asus response on 30a or 17a:

My question:
Possible error in the quick set up:
I believe BT Openreach uses Profile 17a
yet the quick set up set
Administration -> DSL Settings -> VDSL Profile = 30a multi mode

Asus Reply:
For question 2, 30a multi-mode is compatible with 17a mode, we mostly suggest customer to choose 30a multi-mode.
For some special center offices, we would suggest to use 17a mode for no sync issue, thanks.

My interpretation at the time:
2. The quick setup for openreach knows that its use of Profile 30a will be compatible with openreach using Profile 17a. Asus generally recommend configuring as 30a, unless it presents a sync issue in which case 17a could be tried.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:06:04 PM by andy66 »

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2014, 08:14:48 PM »

That behaves differently to the AC68U has it reports Annex B automatically, changing it to A/I/J/L/M it still reports Annex B but is unstable unless bitswap is disabled. Setting it to B/J/M it also still reports Annex B but seems 'so far' stable after 3hrs with bitswap enabled.

I also have a feeling some of the support agents at ASUS may be misinterpreting questions.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:18:45 PM by simoncraddock »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2014, 08:16:48 PM »

Presumably the modem should fallback to the profile, e.g. if Multimode 30a is selected then that implies 17a and the other profiles will be supported as well. Selecting 17a I imagine just revokes 30a from consideration when syncing.

For some reason I've had a massive CRC spike on the downstream somewhere in the last 30-45 minutes. It's now 3379, and slowly rising at a average rate of 1 CRC every minute or two.

@simoncraddock: What is your average downstream CRC rate like on yours?

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2014, 08:22:06 PM »

I'm not getting any CRC errors.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2014, 08:39:16 PM »

Presumably the modem should fallback to the profile, e.g. if Multimode 30a is selected then that implies 17a and the other profiles will be supported as well. Selecting 17a I imagine just revokes 30a from consideration when syncing.

For some reason I've had a massive CRC spike on the downstream somewhere in the last 30-45 minutes. It's now 3379, and slowly rising at a average rate of 1 CRC every minute or two.

@simoncraddock: What is your average downstream CRC rate like on yours?

Possibly but the last option in DSL SETTINGS is 'Improved Impulse Noise Protection (G.998.4)' often known as G.INP which I'm led to believe isn't enabled on BT Infinity just SKY Fibre. Asus couldn't give me a clear answer on this one.

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2014, 08:59:28 PM »

My CRC has just started jumping up - it is now at 8000+. This seems to happen at this time every night. S/N on downstream has dropped to 5.7dB. Its been around 400 errors for 14 hours up until now!

I am still running on the old firmware. (Now at 9000 errors)!!

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2014, 09:05:53 PM »

My CRC has just started jumping up - it is now at 8000+. This seems to happen at this time every night. S/N on downstream has dropped to 5.7dB. Its been around 400 errors for 14 hours up until now!

Were you getting this on your old equipment?
On Friday evening after 2 solid days 693 firmware went crazy for several hours reporting 0db for everything. I switched back to 2072 today with the intention of leaving it hooked up to my old openreach modem until asus released another firmware. It was then I noticed the annex mode setting and decided to try it. So far 3.5 hrs and all is well.

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2014, 09:15:34 PM »

Were you getting this on your old equipment?
On Friday evening after 2 solid days 693 firmware went crazy for several hours reporting 0db for everything. I switched back to 2072 today with the intention of leaving it hooked up to my old openreach modem until asus released another firmware. It was then I noticed the annex mode setting and decided to try it. So far 3.5 hrs and all is well.

Im not sure whether I was getting a lot of CRC errors at this time of night, but I have noticed in the past that the S/N bounces around at this time of night. Repeated clicks of the refresh I could see a 0.5 - 0.6db change i.e. 6db could suddenly drop to 5.4 and then back again. I've noticed this on the HH5, ECI and Asus. Also what is weird is that I have just forced a reconnect - its at the same sync speed and CRC errors have stopped.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2014, 09:16:34 PM »

I would just like to make a comment regarding the "Annex" setting.

As I am sure you appreciate, there are two annexes -- one for the physical infrastructure and one for the VDSL2 mode band plans. The UK uses Annex A for the physical infrastructure (xDSL over POTS) and uses Annex B for the VDSL2 mode band plans, as deployed by Beattie.

They are two separate, distinct and unconnected annexes -- which can be a snare for the unwary (e.g. support agents).  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2014, 09:33:28 PM »

I'm wondering if the ASUS DSL SETTINGS is like the Fritz!Box 7390 because on the Fritz in DSL PARAMs you have to specify ANNEX B. Could the ASUS DSL LOGS/SETTINGS screens be wrongly worded causing confusion.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2014, 09:41:57 PM »

For the curious (I believe kitz wanted to know the difference in bitloading and SNR graphs between UPBO being enabled and disabled):

Thank you for posting the graphs.   I cant really see anything too much different.  Slightly more D1 bitloading in the after..  but the evidence is clear that the downstream  PSD mask is still there.

It looks like in both your graphs US backoff is disabled as your U1 is populated with high bitloading.

I agree - they are too similar in both.
Whilst that is one of the areas that BT has different PSD masks for..  ie.. If hes a fair distance from the cab then he will be allocated a profile with less PBO in U1.  However with a sync of 76Mbps.. that aint no long line :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2014, 09:44:32 PM »

I'm wondering if the ASUS DSL SETTINGS is like the Fritz!Box 7390 because on the Fritz in DSL PARAMs you have to specify ANNEX B. Could the ASUS DSL LOGS/SETTINGS screens be wrongly worded causing confusion.

Not wishing to "muddy the waters" but I will say that may be worth pursuing . . . purely because a Fritz!Box is of Germanic origin and Germany is one of the few nations who uses Annex B for the physical infrastructure (xDSL over ISDN).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2014, 09:53:25 PM »

I don't know the exact DLM threshold, but I assume it's somewhere around 750-1250 ES in a 24 hour period based on my past experiences of DLM. Re-syncing is another concern, though I assume once per hour or two is reasonably safe? I will try UPBO again later today if so. UPBO is currently enabled.

EDIT:
Found it, nevermind. If Zen's correct, they say on the 'speed' profile it's no more than 2 ES every 1 minute (2880 ES in a 24 hour? Is it really that high?), and no more than 1 re-sync every 1 hour and 12 minutes (ideally, it does however state 20 re-syncs in a 24 hour period, but I'll go for the 1 hour and 12 minute guideline I calculated myself). Source: http://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Fibre-Optic-Broadband-FTTC-What-is-DLM-and-how-does-it-work

All the evidence seems to go against that.  For eg the other weeks maxdsl had 5 resyncs before the DLM got him.   The amount of resyncs was confirmed by sight of a graph of his RADIUS logins.    He had hardly any errors.. something like 100 for the whole day.

I should have been keeping better track of mine.   The DLM has stricken me 2 days in a row now.   Day 1 I had 2 LOS.  Day 2 I had 2 resyncs when I swapped router - I left the line down for a couple of hours whilst I went out before putting the other router on. 

These are my errors for the past 24hrs.. and Im waiting to see what happens tomorrow, as interleaving and banding doesnt seem to have culled my errors.

Code: [Select]
Total time = 1 days 40 min 46 sec
FEC:            0               15094366
CRC:            5799            49183
ES:             57              2132
SES:            10              1
UAS:            65              65
LOS:            1               0
LOF:            7               0
LOM:            0               0
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 35

anything