Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35

Author Topic: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)  (Read 296666 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)
« on: September 08, 2014, 01:32:42 AM »

ASUS has now entered the vDSL modem/router market with the ASUS DSL-AC68U

New for sale from today at broadband buyer.   The Price at £202.69 may be a bit too steep for some though :(

Dual-Band Wireless-AC1900 Gigabit ADSL/VDSL Modem Router

Dual-purpose wireless router and DSL modem, featuring DSL WAN port and switchable Ethernet WAN/LAN ports in a single space-saving device
    Compatible with ADSL2/2+, ADSL, VDSL2, fiber and cable services for complete future-proofing
    Combined maximum data rate of 1900 Mbps allows smooth streaming of 4K/UHD videos, online gaming or other bandwidth-intensive tasks
    Dual dedicated CPUs for wired and wireless connections to maximize both range and stability
    AiRadar with universal beamforming optimizes signal strength in any direction to give up to 150%* coverage and is backward compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n clients
    Multi-purpose USB 3.0 port supports file sharing, printers, 3G/4G dongle sharing and media streaming — with up to 10 times faster data transfer than USB 2.0

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GunRunner

Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 09:39:05 AM »

A couple of things people ought to consider if they are thinking of purchasing it.  For some  each listed item might be a deal breaker.

It has only has 1x USB port although it is a USB 3 as opposed to 2 x USB ports (USB 2 and USB 3) on the ASUS RT-AC68U.

At present ( 9th September 2014), there is no 3rd party firmware (tomato, DD-WRT, Asuswrt-merlin) available to flash it for more advanced features.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 10:20:52 AM »

I noticed yesterday the fact that it only had one USB port and also that its lost the dedicated WAN port when compared to the RT-AC68U.

I suppose its biggest selling point by far will be the fact it works on both ADSL & VDSL by having an integrated DSL modem.   
There is little choice for UK consumers looking to purchase a VDSL modem/router and this is one of the very few that will fit the bill.

-------
ETA

The rumour is that it contains a Lantiq chipset.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 10:27:09 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

GunRunner

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 10:43:57 AM »

also that its lost the dedicated WAN port when compared to the RT-AC68U.

I missed that.  At this price point I think they have thrown away flexibility.  Perhaps they thought people who would be purchasing it did not care and were just run of mill punters who just want to plug and play without thinking about it.  Having said that BT Open Reach (Kelly communications) seem to be doing the installs for ISPs (in my area with talktalk they are) and they fit a separate VDSL Modem even if the router supplied (HG635) has its own integrated VDSL Modem. 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 12:45:02 PM »

At this price point I think they have thrown away flexibility.

No doubt one of the LAN ports will also be an uplink port, so just like the vast majority of other DSL routers, its no big deal. 
If youre buying for DSL then its not really a loss of switch ports as you'd still have 4 LAN.   Its not the router you'd buy anyhow if you had cable, but the flexibility is still there, just you'd only have 3 LAN.

From the photos its obvious that the dedicated WAN port has been removed to make way for the DSL port.   No idea why they removed the USB2 port though.
-----

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 07:02:51 PM »

My new Asus AC68U coming tomorrow as I am going pick it up at pcworld

Store collection item(s)
    Quantity   Product code   Product price   Total
ASUS - DSL-AC68U Wireless Router - AC1900 Dual Band   1   113929   £ 119.99   £ 119.99
    Cost of products and services   £ 119.99
    Total cost   £ 119.99
    VAT (included)   £ 26.66

So, I save £40 off with voucher!  :P ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 07:39:28 PM »

£40 off is a good deal.  Even at £159.99 thats still quite a lot cheaper than broadband buyer.. which is highly unusual.

What also worries me is that broadband buyer is advertising it as VDSL2/ADSL2+ modem router, yet theres no mention of VDSL on PCWorld... nor even ADSL when it comes to that.. not even where they list the ports...  and its about the price youd expect to pay for the cheaper RT version.  Just double check when you pick it up that it is VDSL modem router and  not an RT-AC68U.

The ASUS site definitely specifies the DSL-AC68U as being a VDSL/ADSL modem router

Dual-Band Wireless-AC1900 Gigabit ADSL/VDSL Modem Router

VDSL2/ADSL2+/ADSL2/ADSL multimode
Up to 100Mbps/100Mbps upstream/downstream
Support Annex A/B/I/J/L/M
Support all VDSL2 profiles -8a, 8b, 8c, 8d, 12a, 12b, 17a and 30a
VDSL2 interface compliance with ITU-T993.2
G.992.1 (G.dmt), Annex A, and B Compliant
G.992.2 (G.lite), Annex A, and B Compliant
ANSI T1.413 Compliant
G.992.3 (ADSL2) Compliant, Annex A, B, L, and M
G.992.5 (ADSL2+) Compliant, Supporting Annex A, B, and M
G.993.2 Compliant, Annex A, B, up to profile 30a with external AFE.
G.993.5 (Vectoring)
ATM and PTM (dual-priority)

-----

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 08:08:48 PM »

Looking at the firmware for the DSL-AC68U, it really must have two CPUs. The firmware contains two squashfs filesystems, one containing a set of programs compiled for an ARM cpu, and the other filesystem, the one with the DSL driver, contains another set of programs compiled for a MIPS cpu.

The picture of the back of it on pcworld.co.uk does show the DSL port.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 08:45:09 PM »

Thanks Kitz

I check on pcworld site as it does metion spec: Model    DSL-AC68U (that should be VDSL modem/router) I will check the model label tomorrow if it was RT, will not buy it. If it was DSL-AC68U then I buy it.

Updated:

I am now not buying it cos someone from overclockers say this VDSL cause DLM because of increasing CRC errors. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=26933594&postcount=55
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:14:06 PM by adslmax »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 12:06:44 AM »

I am now not buying it cos someone from overclockers say this VDSL cause DLM because of increasing CRC errors
Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

I'm not impressed with this router - whether it's because I was testing and had swapped over between the OR modem and the DSL-AC68U a few times, or had a dodgy RJ11 that caused a load of CRC errors, but DLM kicked in an forced some interleaving on my line for couple of weeks back on the OR modem.

ECI cabinet - the DSL consistently syncs 3 - 4Mbps lower on downstream but upstream rate is higher by about 2 - 3Mbps compared to the ECI modem.

I may wait for another firmware update before trying the DSL-AC68U again - for the moment I'm back with the RT-AC68U and OR modem combination which is stable for me for weeks on end.

In all fairness he did say he wasnt sure if it was because he was testing.  We've seen members here who have fallen to the same DLM trap purely because of testing and swapping routers, so it would be interesting to see how that developed.

I must say though that I was surprised earlier when you mentioned you were buying this..  especially in view of your opinions on the DSL-N66U which contains a similar MediaTek chipset.
I have mentioned to you a few times that in view of your line being similar to mine (after it went live) that you may be best looking at one with a Broadcom chipset. 

You'll find that most of the regs on here like the stability & performance of the Broadcom chipsets and we believe chipset to be an important factor when it comes to DSL performance.   Its also why Ive specifically listed chipset information in the list here..  but I'll spell it out again..  try looking for a combined unit with a BCM chipset.  Youve already seen that the MediaTek & Lantiqs dont perform quite as well on your line.
-----

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 12:49:43 PM »

It looks like the DSL-AC68U uses a Broadcom chip for its WiFi. That's in the ARM part.

If you can get telnet access to a shell, to the MIPS part, there are commands such as wan and adslphxcmd and its always worth looking under /proc/ for anything interesting. There are various references to tc3162 - tc presumably indicating TrendChip. The RaLink and TrendChip companies merged and the resulting company is now called MediaTek.

redbull2k14

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 02:50:10 PM »

If you can get telnet access to a shell, to the MIPS part, there are commands such as wan and adslphxcmd and its always worth looking under /proc/ for anything interesting.

ok heres a list what do i need to do.
ASUSWRT DSL-AC68U_3.0.0.4 Mon Aug 25 03:53:12 UTC 2014
admin@DSL-AC68U:/tmp/home/root#
3ginfo.sh                   du                          lsmod                       setconsole
ATE                         e2fsck                      lsusb                       setup_dnsmq
[                           eapd                        madwimax                    setuprsa.sh
[[                          ebtables                    md5sum                      sh
acsd                        echo                        mdev                        sigmon
ad                          egrep                       memalloc                    sleep
add_account                 ejusb                       minidlna                    smbd
add_folder                  email                       miniupnpd                   smbpasswd
add_multi_routes            emf                         mkdir                       sort
adslate                     env                         mke2fs                      spectrum
afpd                        epi_ttcp                    mkfs.ext2                   strings
afppasswd                   et                          mkfs.ext3                   swapoff
app_base_library.sh         ether-wake                  mkhfs                       swapon
app_base_link.sh            expr                        mknod                       switchmode
app_base_packages.sh        ez-ipupdate                 mkntfs                      sync
app_cancel.sh               fdisk                       mkswap                      sysinfo
app_check_folder.sh         fgrep                       mod_account                 syslogd
app_check_pool.sh           find                        mod_folder                  tail
app_fsck.sh                 find_modem_node.sh          modem_enable.sh             tar
app_fsck_all.sh             find_modem_type.sh          modem_signal.sh             taskset
app_get_field.sh            firmware_check              modify_if_exist_new_folder  tc
app_init_run.sh             flock                       modprobe                    tcpcheck
app_install.sh              free                        more                        telnet
app_move_to_pool.sh         free_caches                 mount                       telnetd
app_remove.sh               fsck.ext2                   mt-daapd                    test
app_set_enabled.sh          fsck.ext3                   mtd-erase2                  test_disk1
app_stop.sh                 fsck.minix                  mtd-unlock                  test_disk2
app_switch.sh               fsync                       mtd-write2                  test_endian
app_update.sh               ftpget                      mv                          test_if_exist_account
app_upgrade.sh              ftpput                      nas                         test_if_exist_share
arp                         gctwimax                    netstat                     test_of_var_files
arpstorm                    gencert.sh                  netstat-nat                 test_share
ash                         get_account_list            networkmap                  test_system
asus_lp                     get_all_folder              nice                        tftp
asus_sd                     get_apps_name               nmbd                        top
asus_sg                     get_folder_list             nohup                       touch
asus_sr                     get_permission              nslookup                    tp_init
asus_tty                    get_phy_speed               ntp                         tr
asus_usb_interface          get_phy_status              ntpclient                   traceroute
asus_usbbcm                 get_var_file_name           nvram                       traceroute6
asuswebstorage              gpio                        nvram_erase                 true
auto_det                    grep                        openssl                     tune2fs
auto_macclone               gunzip                      openvpn                     u2ec
autodet                     gzip                        ots                         udevtrigger
avahi-daemon                halt                        pc                          udhcpc
awk                         head                        pidof                       udpxy
basename                    hotplug                     ping                        umount
bcrelay                     hotplug2                    ping6                       uname
blkid                       how_many_layer              pppd                        uniconv
brctl                       httpd                       pppoe-relay                 unzip
busybox                     hub-ctrl                    pptpctrl                    updown.sh
cat                         icon.ico                    pptpd                       uptime
chat                        icon.large.ico              preinit                     uqmi
check_spectrum.sh           ifconfig                    printf                      usb_modeswitch
chk_app_state               igmpproxy                   ps                          usb_notify
chkhfs                      igs                         psta_monitor                usbled
chkntfs                     infosvr                     public.pem                  usbtest.sh
chmod                       initial_all_var_file        push_log                    usleep
chown                       initial_folder_list         pwd                         vconfig
chpasswd                    initial_var_file            radio                       vi
chpasswd.sh                 inotify                     radvd                       vsftpd
clear                       insmod                      rc                          wanduck
cmp                         ionice                      rcheck                      watch
cnid_dbd                    ip                          rdnssd                      watchdog
cnid_metad                  ip6tables                   read_sms                    wc
comgt                       ip6tables-restore           readlink                    webs_update.sh
console                     iptables                    reboot                      webs_upgrade.sh
cp                          iptables-restore            renice                      wget
create_if_no_var_files      iptables-save               req_dsl_drv                 which
crond                       kill                        restart_wireless            wimaxc
cru                         killall                     rm                          wimaxd
cut                         klogd                       rmdir                       wl
date                        l2tp-control                rmmod                       wlcconnect
dbd                         l2tpd                       route                       wlconf
dd                          led_ctrl                    rsasign_check               wlcscan
ddns_updated                less                        rstats                      wpa_cli
del_account                 lighttpd                    run_app_script              wpa_supplicant
del_folder                  lighttpd-arpping            run_pptpd                   wps_monitor
df                          lighttpd-monitor            run_telnetd                 wpsaide
dhcp6c                      lld2d                       scsi-start                  write_3g_ppp_conf
dhcp6s                      lld2d.conf                  scsi-stop                   write_smb_conf
dirname                     ln                          sdparm                      write_webdav_conf
disk_monitor                logger                      sed                         xtables-multi
disk_remove                 login                       send_sms                    zcat
dmesg                       lpd                         service                     zcip
dnsmasq                     ls                          set_permission

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 01:08:42 AM »

Im not a linux bod so perhaps others may be able to suggest some more commands, but the usual one to try first is

Code: [Select]
cat /proc/cpuinfo
-----

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 06:15:59 AM »

This was also posted on the plusnet forum, in summary we haven't yet figured out how to get to a shell inside the MIPS part with the DSL modem, but some of the DSL stuff has been stored under /tmp/adsl/ - I think most of it is available from the web interface anyway.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 01:07:32 AM »

ok thanks - I hadnt been to the PN forum for a few days :)
-----
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35