Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35

Author Topic: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)  (Read 297275 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)
« Reply #480 on: October 12, 2016, 01:36:01 PM »

Off the top of my head, it's under the dual wan settings. don't enable dual wan, change from dsl to Ethernet port of your choice, connect that Ethernet port to lan port 1 of the ECI.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

thesmileyone

« Reply #481 on: October 12, 2016, 01:53:36 PM »

Got it working, had to enable dual wan, set ethernet 1 as primary and USB as secondary. Fully working now, speeds are less than old house was but 32/6 which isnt too bad I suppose? DNS is super fast though, I click a link and it loads instantly!!

Not sure how great my ping will be in Rocket League via Steam anymore, used to be about 8, servers on speedtest.net are around 30 ping!

ping bbc.co.uk in xTerm gives average of 112ms :/

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #482 on: October 12, 2016, 03:57:50 PM »

dual wan doesn't need enabled, and shouldn't be. It's for using dual wan.
I'm using it right now, dual wan off, Ethernet wan selected, lan port 1, connected to a ZyXEL 8924 in bridge mode.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #483 on: October 12, 2016, 05:41:44 PM »

Anyone know how to bypass the router part of the DSL-AC68u and make it work with an ECI modem?

For completeness, I will just say that your query should have been --

Anyone know how to bypass the modem part of the DSL-AC68u and make it work with an ECI modem?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

thesmileyone

« Reply #484 on: October 16, 2016, 10:52:21 AM »

Having serious issues with this router now. It periodically (read, every 3 mins or so) stops sending data to all wifi clients, but still shows them as connected.

Also for a device with 3 ariels on its performance is poor on both 5ghz and 2.4ghz. Loses 1 out of 5 bars just 3 feet away (through a plaster wall / door).

I just set up a tp link extender (with great difficulty and cant be sure now even that its working) and it still does it.

You will get no connection or "connecting to google.co.uk" and then it times out, but the router still keeps 2 or 3 bars of connection with the client. I thought this an ubuntu issue (there are threads out there for ubuntu) but it does it with my Kindle too which is android based.

If a family member tilts her ipad to reading level, she loses connection, only works with ipad flat.

Exasperated.

thesmileyone

« Reply #485 on: October 16, 2016, 11:11:17 AM »

Just for the lolz

Is the BEST I can get, but dl speed is normally ~14mb/s

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #486 on: October 16, 2016, 05:18:38 PM »

Make sure you're on the latest firmware. With this particular modem/router every time I've updated the firmware it's caused bugs, requiring me to restore default settings then setting it up again. Looking at the Asus forums many users also have this problem. So 1st advice would be make sure you're on the latest firmware, then restore default settings, then tweak your own settings. The modem is absolutely useless, but it's wireless is absolutely fantastic for me. I get full reception upstairs through about 4 walls on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, on multiple devices running various OS's.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #487 on: October 16, 2016, 06:10:26 PM »

The latest asus firmware for any router older than the ac8x models is a bad idea in my opinion, asus started to cripple wifi power levels to comply with american regulators, and as a result all of their new firmwares have not so good wifi stability/performance as their older firmwares, this is one of the reasons john forked of asuswrt-merlin and why I use his firmware.

With that aside one has to remember wifi is a convenience technology, if you want performance use ethernet.

thesmileyone

« Reply #488 on: October 16, 2016, 06:13:47 PM »

The latest FW was the first thing I did!

Extender seems to have helped but notice the signal drops back to 2 bars as if the extender isnt there anymore. Also it is still cutting out as if it is down but shows it is up.

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #489 on: October 17, 2016, 05:33:09 AM »

The latest asus firmware for any router older than the ac8x models is a bad idea in my opinion, asus started to cripple wifi power levels to comply with american regulators, and as a result all of their new firmwares have not so good wifi stability/performance as their older firmwares, this is one of the reasons john forked of asuswrt-merlin and why I use his firmware.

With that aside one has to remember wifi is a convenience technology, if you want performance use ethernet.

Even better, use Hugo Gomes' Merlin fork fw. It unlocks all wifi channels (so great if you've purchased a router from USA) and allows you to change wifi power levels...obviously you should follow local wifi power regulations  ;D I'm using it on my AC5300 and even on the default wifi power levels, i find the wifi coverage far better than stock Asus fw and even Merlin fw. PM me for more info  :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #490 on: October 17, 2016, 08:18:14 AM »

Using johns fork and setting the region to null does the same thing.

Ironically the Americans have the least restrictive 5G so its other regions trying to switch to USA not the other way round.

thesmileyone

« Reply #491 on: October 19, 2016, 04:41:45 PM »

I wonder if I can use that firmware on my DSL-AC68u?

I read DSL ones are not supported but a guy on the forum claimed it works just like if it is an RT model as long as you are using another modem as a modem. Which I am.

Wireless is Okish now, I am finally typing this on my 5ghz gaming pc, won't be wired for another week so I am using a TP-Link extender to connect to the wifi network and an ethernet cable from that to the PC.

In a weeks time an ex BT guy is coming to move the master socket, re-wire the house if needed, disconnect all the wired connections (because we use a single wired phone base station and cordless phones) and I am hoping he knows someone who can sort out the noisy line to the box because our upload speed SUCKS.

Here is latest speedtest, via wifi, quite impressed at the download speed considering its wifi and we have 3 repeaters and the modem is on the ground floor at the other end of the house...but the upload sucks!

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #492 on: October 19, 2016, 05:51:53 PM »

I wonder if I can use that firmware on my DSL-AC68u?

I read DSL ones are not supported but a guy on the forum claimed it works just like if it is an RT model as long as you are using another modem as a modem. Which I am.

Personally I wouldn't risk putting third party RT-xxxx firmware on a DSL-xxxx router, you risk bricking your router. What you could do is sell your DSL-AC68U to some sucker/fool on ebay and either invest the funds in a RT-AC68U or you could wait a month or so and invest in the new Asus BRT-AC828/M2, Asus' first Qualcomm based Wave 2 Mu-Mimo 4 stream router. This should blow all other routers out of the water  ;D
http://ifworlddesignguide.com/entry/199723-brt-ac828m2
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_BRT-AC828/M2

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #493 on: October 19, 2016, 07:13:48 PM »

The DSL variants don't work with 3rd party firmware, even if you don't plan on using the modem.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #494 on: October 19, 2016, 08:44:45 PM »

As said before only official asus firmwares will work on the DSL model, we did advise you to exchange it for a RT model.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35

anything