Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 35

Author Topic: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)  (Read 296728 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2014, 04:18:29 PM »

With your attainable rates so high you must be almost sat on top of the cabinet so I'm surprised your sync rate isn't higher, unless the few FEC errors indicate a low level of interleaving is currently applied by DLM.

Either there's a bit of crosstalk on your cabinet which can't be helped or there's something else not quite right.
Not looked but does the BT Master Socket still have the test port behind the face that can accept a standard filter adapter?

DLM's banded me (without interleaving applied), hopefully temporarily, due to all the re-syncs I had consecutively one morning on the latest official firmware. Cabinet is about 200m-300m cable run distance if I recall correctly. It's within 30-40 steps walking distance.

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2014, 08:47:24 PM »

After 10 resyncs today I've pulled the plug. Not sure if it's my line or this router so have put the eci modem back. Does anyone know if you can obtain crc data. It has been unlocked but I can only get to the link status and the bit loading and snr  plots.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2014, 09:29:33 PM »

After 10 resyncs today I've pulled the plug. Not sure if it's my line or this router so have put the eci modem back. Does anyone know if you can obtain crc data. It has been unlocked but I can only get to the link status and the bit loading and snr  plots.

Last I recall the statistics from the ECI are unreliable. Might be wrong though.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #153 on: October 23, 2014, 09:36:54 PM »

That's why I have both the HG612 and the ECI, if in doubt plug the HG612 to view the line stats.
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #154 on: October 24, 2014, 09:58:29 AM »

As far as I can tell DSL sync was lost around 2am last night (according to router log). No sign of DLM intervention however as sync rates remain the same. Attainable downstream has dropped by approximately 1.5Mbps. Error seconds I've worked out seems to be an average of between 15 to 20 ES per hour (360 to 480 daily), which is within DLM's speed profile's threshold. All I'm hoping for is that DLM will raise the speed banding soon and not leave me permanently on 49/15.

Code: [Select]
DSL Firmware Version 1.0.1.7b_testDMT_1022
DSL Driver Version FwVer:5.5.1.124_B_A60901 HwVer:T14.F7_0.1
DSL Link Status up
DSL Uptime 0 days 8 hours 11 minutes 36 seconds
DSL modulation ITU G.993.2(VDSL2)
Annex mode ANNEX_B
SNR Down 15.5 dB
SNR Up 15.7 dB
Line Attenuation Down 11.2 dB
Line Attenuation Up 0.1 dB
Data Rate Down 48999 kbps
Data Rate Up 14993 kbps
MAX Rate Down 94092
MAX Rate Up 30224
POWER Down 11.6 dbm
POWER Up 5.1 dbm
CRC Down 291
CRC Up 1

I'll try ASUS's settings as soon as DLM relents, if it ever does :(.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 10:26:06 AM by Ixel »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #155 on: October 24, 2014, 11:50:23 AM »

I am not sure why you seem to get banded before interleaving I think is odd.

On my line I get banded when my sync is too low for the current band, so e.g. if I am on min 40 max 80 band and sync at 50, DLM will reband me to maybe 37 to 74 or min 40 max 60.  Then if I sync at a higher speed and the banding is capping me it gets released a few days later, thats what I observed on my line.

Of course we know from you and kitz there is other triggers for banding as you seem to get it for error's, and kitz also got it for error's on her US.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #156 on: October 24, 2014, 12:37:59 PM »

As far as I can tell DSL sync was lost around 2am last night (according to router log). No sign of DLM intervention however as sync rates remain the same. Attainable downstream has dropped by approximately 1.5Mbps. Error seconds I've worked out seems to be an average of between 15 to 20 ES per hour (360 to 480 daily), which is within DLM's speed profile's threshold. All I'm hoping for is that DLM will raise the speed banding soon and not leave me permanently on 49/15.

My attainable rate fluctuates all day. Currently with the new firmware it will rise and fall between 79 and 85 mbps, rising and falling bit by bit.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #157 on: October 24, 2014, 01:26:10 PM »

I am not sure why you seem to get banded before interleaving I think is odd.

On my line I get banded when my sync is too low for the current band, so e.g. if I am on min 40 max 80 band and sync at 50, DLM will reband me to maybe 37 to 74 or min 40 max 60.  Then if I sync at a higher speed and the banding is capping me it gets released a few days later, thats what I observed on my line.

Of course we know from you and kitz there is other triggers for banding as you seem to get it for error's, and kitz also got it for error's on her US.

I have a theory that DLM uses interleaving and banding if the error seconds threshold has been exceeded, where it only uses banding if the connection has resynced too often (and of course depending on the sync rate of the modem). In my case the ES hasn't exceeded what Zen states (if it's correct), but I did lose sync quite a bit in the early hours of a morning 2 or 3 days ago.

My attainable rates barely change, except for when I lost sync around 2am this morning. Usually it's pretty much the same day and night here.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #158 on: October 24, 2014, 01:32:33 PM »

Here's mine within 1 minute...

13:28

13:29

My connection as just gone through 48.5 hrs without a hiccup.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #159 on: October 24, 2014, 07:47:31 PM »

I've designed an app in C#.NET which will now graph the errors and other statistics from the modem (on a 24 hour chart, updated once a minute, while data is fetched from the DSL-AC68U every 10 seconds). If it proves stable and reliable enough then I'll release it for those curious who wish to do the same.

I'm mainly doing it to see if there's any pattern to my errors, especially when I receive rare spikes of CRC's.

Interestingly my attainable downstream is higher again at the moment (was around 93.5Mbps after I lost sync at 2am), now showing 95Mbps~.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #160 on: October 24, 2014, 08:04:36 PM »

Daft as it sounds does it coincide with street lighting on and off, noticed some towns are reducing lighting levels between 1 and 2am and also some are replacing them with LED lighting which brings forth a whole new raft of interference.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #161 on: October 24, 2014, 08:42:44 PM »

Daft as it sounds does it coincide with street lighting on and off, noticed some towns are reducing lighting levels between 1 and 2am and also some are replacing them with LED lighting which brings forth a whole new raft of interference.

I don't think so, but you have a point. I will observe the street lighting and see if I can notice any pattern there once I've got some graphs and notice a pattern on them.

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #162 on: October 27, 2014, 09:58:44 AM »

I've designed an app in C#.NET which will now graph the errors and other statistics from the modem (on a 24 hour chart, updated once a minute, while data is fetched from the DSL-AC68U every 10 seconds). If it proves stable and reliable enough then I'll release it for those curious who wish to do the same.

I'm mainly doing it to see if there's any pattern to my errors, especially when I receive rare spikes of CRC's.

Interestingly my attainable downstream is higher again at the moment (was around 93.5Mbps after I lost sync at 2am), now showing 95Mbps~.

Your app sounds really useful and I look forward to when you release it.

Its gone quiet in here, so I assume the beta firmware is playing nicely with most?

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #163 on: October 27, 2014, 10:24:08 AM »

I'm currently on the HH5 because BT are reporting I have a line fault, so until that's resolved on Wednesday (hopefully) its probably for the best. I'm also waiting delivery of a branded/unlocked ZyXel VMG8324-B10A to try out.

Once I have my line fixed and the ZyXel in hand I'll decided what I'm doing with the ASUS.
Chances are for the foreseeable future I'll use the ZyXel in conjunction with the ASUS, I'll have to see how they both perform against each other. The ZyXel shows comprehensive linestats in the GUI and is a Broadcomm modem so its looking likely it will end up in Bridge mode linked to the ASUS.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 10:30:19 AM by simoncraddock »

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #164 on: October 27, 2014, 10:41:19 AM »

How did you get them to investigate and report a line fault. I thought your sync was close to the max possible?

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 35

anything