Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: HG612 Modem Stats - Beta programs v 4.0 for EXISTING users  (Read 11677 times)

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: HG612 Modem Stats - Beta programs v 4.0 for EXISTING users
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 09:29:37 PM »

I don't think so.  It is plot of just the daily values (values like 500 on that plot) that I wondered about.  Although trends can be seen in your example it is hard to see how daily totals may be varying and the daily total ought to might give a better view of the trends.   The example from tbailey2 showed it with the daily ramp up but I think just the daily value would be fine.  Ideally for those of us who don't run 24/7 it would as I said be an estimated daily value based on the up time.   

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 11:16:13 PM »

Do you mean something like this attachment?

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 07:43:02 AM »

Yes  :) just like that. Those value seem to be the main data input to the DLM.  You could look at yours over a long period with a plot to of thst yipe see if you agree that is useful. 

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 08:29:07 PM »

I knocked that graph together very quickly using Excel & data harvested at the same time each day from my 24/7 logs.

How regularly would you intend to grab the snapshot stats?

In my opinion, the big disadvantage of only grabbing snapshot stats on a daily basis is that you cannot see exactly where or when any errors occurred.

In order to graph the data when only logging sporadically, a log would still have to be maintained & maybe updated manually.
Logging 24/7 for 'problematic' lines seems (to me) to be the better option.

If you were to see a big increase in errors between one day & the next, you would have no real idea how severe the spike or sudden increase was & when it occurred & thus miss the chance to even try to track down what might have caused it.

I suppose it could act as some sort of indicator as to when start logging more regularly though.

A long time ago, I kept a manually updated log of IP Profile changes (copy attached), but it was the data in between the changes that reinforced the need for engineer visits (none of which was I ever charged for).

Having set up HG612 Modem Stats previously, you do already have the relevant software on your PC.
I could give you a batch file script & example log to demonstrate how to plot relevant data if you wished to manually maintain a log.

ipnightly

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 09:47:23 PM »

I haven't run HG612_stats for over a week, as I had to switch back the modem.
However, I was looking through my pfsense firewall logs and I noticed an entry that was trying to connect to my router on port 23. Using netstat I was able to see that the connection attempt was coming from the HG612_stats.exe so I looked at the windows task manager and processes from all users. Every minute or so the prog appears in the list and shortly afterwards it disappears again !

Any thoughts ?

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2014, 10:07:31 PM »

Sounds like you still have a scheduled task running HG612_stats.exe.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2014, 10:08:45 PM »

Seems like you still have it running

You either need to delete the task or disable logging by clicking both Ongoing stats & Snapshot stats in the GUI.

The Task enabled button should then turn from green to red.

ipnightly

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 11:05:55 PM »

Thanks. That's it sorted.
I assumed closing the program and several reboots would have killed it!
Also, by default it doesn't show up in Task Manager under running tasks, unless you tick "show processes from all users"
Where is it actually being loaded? Is there a registry entry or something ?

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 11:18:14 PM »

Also, by default it doesn't show up in Task Manager under running tasks, unless you tick "show processes from all users"
Where is it actually being loaded? Is there a registry entry or something ?

There are intentionally no registry entries to be concerned about.
It simply runs from a scheduled task as a running process for a few seconds every minute.

To completely get rid of it (but why would you want to do that?), simply delete the scheduled task & delete any files/folders created when you set it up & that's it.
All trace of it ever existing erased, especially if you also emptied the Recycle bin).

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2014, 05:52:19 PM »

In my opinion, the big disadvantage of only grabbing snapshot stats on a daily basis is that you cannot see exactly where or when any errors occurred.

My aim was to ask if that sort of daily display could easily be produced from the existing stored data base and whether you and others thought that extra plot might be useful.  I did not intend to imply any extra or different sampling "just" an extra plot.  My line has very spiky errors on it so any trends in a long plot are currently hidden in a forest of the spikes within each day.  On yours it seems easier to see the trends.  It may be best if I first try extracting and plotting the values from the current logs myself to see if they really help. 

Power use has been my only issue with 24/7 logging.  I have now got dslstats and MDWS working 24/7 via a rasberry pi but I do like using HG612 modem stats  :)  as well for long plots. 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2014, 06:49:44 PM »

I think I understand what les is asking for.   In view of the fact that we now know for sure that DLM monitors ES and SES and that it uses the daily total midnight to midnight.  I can understand why some people may want them.

The one thought that occurs though..  When you ask HG612 stats to run graph PD, how would it affect daily totals if some time slots were missing.  I cant think how to explain what I mean..  but when it calculates a day, does it use the last 1440 plots, rather than 0:00 to 23:59.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2014, 08:17:29 AM »

I think I understand what les is asking for.   In view of the fact that we now know for sure that DLM monitors ES and SES and that it uses the daily total midnight to midnight.  I can understand why some people may want them.

The one thought that occurs though..  When you ask HG612 stats to run graph PD, how would it affect daily totals if some time slots were missing.  I cant think how to explain what I mean..  but when it calculates a day, does it use the last 1440 plots, rather than 0:00 to 23:59.

Yes, it does use the last 1440 samples, on the assumption that logging is running 24/7.

That can be misleading if logging only runs for a short while each day though.

e.g. If logging runs for exactly 6 hours each day, a 1 day plot would display all the latest 1440 samples, inserting gaps for the periods where logging wasn't running (see attached example).

The DS ES graph counts up all the delta values for the number of samples plotted & reports averages per minute, hour, day.

However, this data gives incorrect (too high) daily averages for 6 hours per day logging as it has only used a period from 18:00 to 23:59 each day (noisy periods).

The raw modem_stats.log does store cumulative values AND delta values for each sample, so I suppose I could get it to report the delta values per day, regardless of whether logging was 24/7 or not (assuming the stats included samples from the same time each day).

The other attached example shows 4 days of 24/7 logging & the total DS ES value reported for the period is correct.

The real DS ES data, using daily cumulative delta values, is:-

1140 between 28/11/14  & 29/11/14
1007 between 27/11/14  & 28/11/14
1091 between 26/11/14  & 27/11/14
1105 between 25/11/14  & 26/11/14

i.e. a total of 4343 for the 4 day period

Pages: 1 [2]