Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HG612 Modem Stats - Beta programs v 4.0 for EXISTING users  (Read 11679 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
HG612 Modem Stats - Beta programs v 4.0 for EXISTING users
« on: September 07, 2014, 10:46:58 AM »

Please note:

Beta version 4.0 programs are available & can be downloaded/installed via the GUI if "Receive beta updates" is ticked in the "Help & About" tab.

These updates include some programming improvements & graphing 'enhancements'.

They are also needed to enable uploading of data (for registered users) to MyDSLWebStats online data store/graphical stats display.

Ronski

• Kitizen
Re: HG612 Modem Stats - Beta programs v 4.0 for EXISTING users
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 03:28:26 PM »

For those that don't have an existing installation you can download V3 from Freeware Files. Then simply extract it to where you want it located and then run the GUI program located in the scripts folder. Once set up you can update as detailed above.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 09:06:05 PM »

HG612 Stats appears to be working on Windows 10  :)

Installed V3 and fully updated to V4 and logging data, I'll leave it going overnight, although I won't test MyDSLWebStats uploads.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 12:16:22 PM »

Chrysalis (or anyone)

I understand you might have had this problem At between 1-3AM each morning the HG612V4 stops logging. The Logs show 2 instances of the stats program running. It only started a few nights ago (see post). Tony suggested you had this ? Its running on a Server 2008R2 that is doing noting else. There are no backups or any log activity.

Perhaps you might have seen this, and found a resolution. Its strange it happens at the same time each early morning. I have the delay settings at 0 and 10 secs.

Also posted in Topic DSL WEB Stats

Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 05:00:33 AM »

Update

Its happens every night at 0102 goes into 2 instance and starts logging again at 0301
I have enabled enhanced logging and I cant see any differences in the logs at the minutes before it goes into " 2 instances are running"
This started on Tuesday after the MS patches were applied to the Server2008R2 it runs on
There are no other services running on this server at all
I was around just before it started again at 0301 and I could see no issues on the server noting shows in the logs as happening at those times !

I guess I need the detailed logs looking at ?

Thanks in advance :'(

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 06:24:56 AM »

Hi Tony,  I've had similar problems in the past and never really got to the bottom of it and to be honest I didn't look to far. If you look at my work stats over the last few weeks you can see it often misses a beat around 1am.

The only thing I can think of is to look at the scheduled task history, there is a bug in windows where the task can fire twice in quick succession. There is a patch available if this is the case.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 08:41:40 AM »

Hi I looked at the task history and it doesn't seem to fire more than once at a time.

What I find Odd is it last for the same time 2 hours and then returns to normal. Thanks for the comment

Tony

TimeBandit

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 03:00:51 AM »

My HG612 Stats fell over at 20:34 on the 17th as well.
Not sure what's going on - the GUI is still showing that set of data from the modem, although the task kicks off once per minute as it should.
Only a single instance at a time.

I think I may need an eagle eye cast over my logfiles.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 05:43:03 PM »

My HG612 Stats fell over at 20:34 on the 17th as well.
Not sure what's going on - the GUI is still showing that set of data from the modem, although the task kicks off once per minute as it should.
Only a single instance at a time.

I think I may need an eagle eye cast over my logfiles.

I'm now back from my holidays, so feel free to post relevant log extracts for me to look at.

It MAY be a server issue.
My latest version (v 4.0.0.6) does include a Curl program timeout of 20 seconds to (hopefully) avoid any 'stuck' programs.

Which version of HG612_stats.exe are you using?

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 09:34:24 AM »

Version 4.0.0.6 is now available for download. Thanks BE1

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 10:17:34 AM »

A number of us don't log continuously.  I find that in spite of this the program is generally quite happy and the output very useful.  I think there is one issue that may however be possible fix some time. 

The graph plots give the average error values but it is my impression that they display the total errors recorded each minute relative to total time interval and for intermittent logging give too low an error rate.  I wondered if it might be possible to replace the total number of minutes with the sum of the errors per minute divided by the sample time interval i.e.  the number of 1 minute samples collected.   Apologies if my impressions are not well founded.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 06:14:44 PM »

I wondered if it might be possible to replace the total number of minutes with the sum of the errors per minute divided by the sample time interval i.e.  the number of 1 minute samples collected.   Apologies if my impressions are not well founded.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking.

Could you perhaps give me an example of where you believe the error rate is too low when using your own stats?

I'm not a great fan of using averages as
a) doing so can mask peaks/troughs &
b) if the period is too small, it doesn't give a realistic indication of performance.

e.g. if my connection typically averages say 897 DS error seconds in a given 24 hour period, that would average out as 37.38 errors per hour or 0.62 per minute.

However, in the latest 12 hours of that given period, only 372 errors occurred.
Multiplying that by 2 would equate to only 744 errors per day, 31 per hour & 0.52 per minute

Using the latest 6 hours, 278 errors occurred.
Multiplied by 4, that would give 1112 errors per day, 46.33 per hour & 0.77 per minute.

This might help to explain how my graphing program calculates average error rates:-

Regardless of any time gaps in the data, when 24 hours is chosen, the latest 1440 samples are used

For 12 hours, the latest 720 samples are used

For 1 hour, the latest 60 samples are used.

So, lets say there was a gap of around 4 days between pausing & resuming logging.
The latest 1440 samples would still be used for a 1 day graph, but the start date would be clearly incorrect:-

You entered (or it was determined) a period of 1440 m

*** Using the specified log file ***:-
C:\HG612 Modem Stats with Spaces\Ongoing Stats\TEST\modem_stats.log

The whole log file contains 412740 rows
DSL_MODE = VDSL2

The graphs will be plotted using 1440 samples
From 21/10/2014 14:57 to 26/10/2014 15:58
i.e. 1 Day

Please wait......

* DS & US SNRM
** DS & US SYNC
*** CRC
**** FEC
***** DS HEC
***** US HEC
****** Up Time
******* DS RSCorr.................................

The number of errors per sample are indeed summed for the latest 1440 samples used for the graphs & divided by 24 for the hourly averages & divided by 1440 for the averages per minute.

That method can also be somewhat misleading when attempting to calculate averages etc.

The only realistic method appears to be to continue the logging 24/7, which will include peaks/troughs for day-time/night-time periods & any other periods where error counts can fluctuate due to external influences/interference etc.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 07:04:54 PM »

Thanks for the helpful reply to my badly asked question.  I asked after looking at my last 2 plots made in the last month or so.   Looking again there are big gaps in those records when I have used unsupported modems.     I just tried running a number of other different times and the answers are indeed sensible. 

I will now be more cautious when choosing intervals on time.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 09:30:18 AM »

i wondered if in some future version it might be possible enable plots like those here

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14598.msg275067#msg275067 

Ideally they would be a daily total of ES in valid samples normalized so that a 24 hour figure is given.  i.e. if only about x hours of data is available the total would be x24/x so that comparable figure is given each day.  Generally when looking at long plots daily error numbers for all the error types should make trends clearer.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 08:30:37 PM »

Is the attached DS ES graph from 1st January to 17th November anything like you mean?

Pages: [1] 2

anything